The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Quad electrostatic speaker owners club

Hi Aggers                                                                                                                                                                               Ibought the cables for trial porposes.

As a result, the cables will be available for the offer of a loan, so if you can wait a little longer, I can post them out between Gary and Yourself to assess in your system. 

2 hours ago, JohnG said:

Hi Aggers                                                                                                                                                                               Ibought the cables for trial porposes.

As a result, the cables will be available for the offer of a loan, so if you can wait a little longer, I can post them out between Gary and Yourself to assess in your system. 

2 hours ago, JohnG said:

Hi John,

That's very kind and helpful to loan me the cables when Gary has assessed them- I'm not in a massive hurry at all.  I'll PM to you my address.  Thanks Ian

Posted (edited)
On 27/04/2019 at 06:27, JohnG said:

There is information coming through about the Mogami 3082 Speaker Cables. I was not in the room to do my own evaluation, but the individuals who are offering feedback, are more than able to offer a decent assessment, and each one voiced, usually is not too far off anothers.

To put the audition into context, the day centred around a evaluation of Pre Amps, with a few other devices included at the latter part of the day.                                                                                                 I know the True Signal Silver's were used as the cable to audition the Townshend Allegri and EAR 864 Pre Amps, I know there was a Tube Rolling on the 864 Pre Amp.                                                      I am not aware at which stage of the event the Mogami was entered for Audition or the Pre Amp it was listened to with. Each Pre Amp has been reported as being very revealing of details.

The description offered so far by two of the attendees follows:                                                               

Commenting on the merits of the Mogami co-axials is slightly difficult for me, as I own the 'competing' True Signal speaker cables. 

With my neutral hat on, I have to be honest and say that they did not assume the mantle of 'giant-killers' for me, lacking particularly in definition and separation against the reference. The bass was 'muddy' to my ears and the lateral sound stage much reduced.They were certainly not as 'open' in the mids but the treble was good. They also lacked the tonal quality / accuracy of the T S cables and that certain 'ambient' characteristic on live tracks like the one we played by Sarah Jarosz. In short, they did not make an 'emotional' connection for me.

Notwithstanding the above, they were competing with considerably more expensive cables on the day and I certainly believe that they are competitive with other cables in the £100 - £150 range.

John, I think that our view of the Mogami cables was influenced by listening to all the preamps on the ‘True Silvers’, which as we know are top performers. I agree with David’s view. To me they lacked the precision and openness of the True Silvers, but I suspect that when I connect my Chords they may well improve on them. I’ll let you know.

I will copy and paste and further descriptions as they arrive.

From David's description, I have a full understanding of the term 'Muddy Bass', this was the common trait I was picking up on when auditioning the Mapleshades and comparing them to my other cables.                                                                                                                                                        The other cables in the line up, all coloured the bass to different levels, to the point that the Mapleshades made the other cables sound like they were delivering coloured sound or in certain cases distortion.                                                                                                                                                From previous comparisons, it is known and agreed the True Signal Silver and Mapleshades deliver a Clean Sound, with Fast Uncoloured Bass Notes, with a Soundstage that projects out beyond the speakers in all dimensions.                                                                                                      From my recollection the Mapleshades have a little more meat on the bones than the True Signals, so either may just pip the other depending on the system they are used in, but either works very well on ESL's.    

Has anyone tried TV or satelite coax RG8 etc this cable is supposed to be a good match with electrostatics

Thorsten Loesch chief designer at AMR Audio wrote several articles in TNT some years ago about cables

https://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ubyte2e.html

http://www.geocities.ws/jonrisch/s1.htm

http://www.geocities.ws/jonrisch/spkrcbl1.htm http://www.geocities.ws/jonrisch/page3.htm

http://www.audiofil.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4589&title=zvuniki-kablovi-i-izrada

http://pebandili.ml/low-inductance-cable.html

Edited by Eaton Mess

I remember in the 1970s when my Dad's ESL57s were in the family house, he used TV coax cable. No idea how they compare to normal figure-8 cables, but was curious as to why he did so.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Bodgit said:

I remember in the 1970s when my Dad's ESL57s were in the family house, he used TV coax cable. No idea how they compare to normal figure-8 cables, but was curious as to why he did so.

Interesting...sounds like he possibly knew something that others didn't back then.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Eaton Mess said:

Quad used to produce their own cables below are the details and specifications

July 1993

image.png.9cc55176d9cb76b04414659c556f5f45.png

@JohnG not sure how these compare with the others you have evaluated?

image.thumb.png.93dde1d87648bb0fd5fae3c1eb0998cf.png

image.png.6e61ea7bb19e11c3390c3c4a52985010.png

image.thumb.png.8c67a5fb25773a917733f8c103978990.png

image.thumb.png.368820c5706b2fda74de1f55921b2e0d.png

:nerves:As they don't have any fairy dust in the design, would we have to sprinkle it on ourselves?

Super Wammer

You know sometimes as people we are either stubborn or plain stupid . Andrew at One Thing Limited who did all the work on my ESL 57's which was great advise me that I really needed and Amp with lots of current to drive them .

I have an original Mk1 Krell KSA50 which I though would be enough . If not then to replace it I need 200 watt plus to make a difference . I thought about this honestly I did and looked around for somehting that would fit the bill .

Sadly then ideas and long held ambitions got in the way as they often do and I have been carried away at a tangent for something I have alwasy wanted to own and with no good scientific reason always felt was something that would work well with the Quads .

Sadly advice from people who know much better than me and the sensible voice in my ear have been ignored . Instead I bought a Croft Series 3 OTL power amplifier to drive my Quad 57 ESL's . So less power (35 Watt per chanel) and OTL with all the possible issues that can have .

Will it work ? No idea but there was nothing in my heart (and even less in brain) that would stop me doing it. This may well turn out to be disaster and leave me red faced and embarassed . Then again it amy well turn the other way and be a match made in heaven . Till I try it I will never know but at least now I know I will get to give it a go . Glenn Croft says it will work very well indeed (well he would say that) but then really surprised me by saying he uses the same combination himself so there is hope for me . Sorry Andrew I seem to have ignored your advice and I know from the work you did that I probably should not .

Mike in Kendal , what do you think ? I kinow your Quads are being pwoered by a much lowere powered amp than the Crofts . Will the Crofts have enough quality will they amke a good match .

Watch this space for further updates. But please be patient as I now have the tricky problem of getting this amp up from the other end of the country to Liverpool to work out. Glad to say due to a current imminent operation and work on gutting my Kitchen I am not in any hurry so it amy be few motnths before I can report back . Any advice , abuse , or even warnings would be appreciated.

There are many theories that surround this hobby of ours and ESL's seem to attract more than their fair share.

I too was told on this forum that the 18 watt Ming Da 845 valve mono block power amps that I use with my ESL989s were not powerful enough to get the best out of the speakers and that I should buy something with much bigger output. Although I, and many other Wammers,  were more than happy with the sound I was getting from my system I decided to follow the advice and purchased a fairly new pair of SS Quad Elite mono blocks with 150 watts per side for £440, whilst of course keeping the 845's, just in case. 

After a lengthy period of comparison between the two sets of mono's I decided that the Ming Da's were more than capable of bring out all that the 989's had to offer and so sold the Elites on for a profit of £30.

Moving on, two years later, and I have decided that there is more to come from ESL's and am taking delivery of a pair of ESL 2905's tomorrow, the £30 is not helping much with the upgrade!  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

About 10 years ago I talked to Quad about the right size amp for my ESL 63s, at the time I was using a Quad 303. They said that if I used a more powerful amp I may notice a difference on the attacks of notes, the start of the note. I duly upgraded to a quad 520 and it made a difference though I’m not sure it improved things. Now I’ve learned that I prefer the sweet sounding 303 to the 520, though I’m not using either with the quads. 

At at the moment I use an Electrocompaniet ECI - 2 with the ESLs  (they are with Gradients, so I guess that means that the Electrocompaniet has less work to do) The setup sounds very good . . . but not good enough. It has presence, with a big 3D image, but the image isn’t as firm and airy as in the Spendor/Krell system, which captures more of the details of voice and instrument separation and placement.

Like Bencat I have a Mk1 Krell KSA50, which I’ve been assured delivers about 75W per Chanel Class A. This sounds fabulous in a system with Spendor SP 1s, better than the Quad system for imaging. I intend to swap the amps soon (it weighs 30kg, so to lift the Krell around is a pain!),

No preamp in all cases; volume control digital through the Logitech Media Server; Theta and Museatex DAC with Spendors and ESLs respectively, 

Edited by Howard

Super Wammer
On 16/06/2019 at 12:27, Howard said:

About 10 years ago I talked to Quad about the right size amp for my ESL 63s, at the time I was using a Quad 303. They said that if I used a more powerful amp I may notice a difference on the attacks of notes, the start of the note. I duly upgraded to a quad 520 and it made a difference though I’m not sure it improved things. Now I’ve learned that I prefer the sweet sounding 303 to the 520, though I’m not using either with the quads. 

At at the moment I use an Electrocompaniet ECI - 2 with the ESLs  (they are with Gradients, so I guess that means that the Electrocompaniet has less work to do) The setup sounds very good . . . but not good enough. It has presence, with a big 3D image, but the image isn’t as firm and airy as in the Spendor/Krell system, which captures more of the details of voice and instrument separation and placement.

Like Bencat I have a Mk1 Krell KSA50, which I’ve been assured delivers about 75W per Chanel Class A. This sounds fabulous in a system with Spendor SP 1s, better than the Quad system for imaging. I intend to swap the amps soon (it weighs 30kg, so to lift the Krell around is a pain!),

No preamp in all cases; volume control digital through the Logitech Media Server; Theta and Museatex DAC with Spendors and ESLs respectively, 

Hi Howard the Krell KSA50 wil deliver 50 wats of Class A in to any load the amplifier is very over engineered and can put out much more than 50 Watts Class A but each amp is different. However they will put out a full 100 Watt class A/B in to eight ohms but not really sure what it will give in to the Quad 57 ESL mainly reistive load .

I now have the Mogami Cables back in my possession.                                                                                                                                                                                               They have been returned slightly different to how they left me, they are adorned in a full set of Banana Plugs.                                                                                                I haven't participated in much personal HiFi experiences since Kegworth, so can't see me sitting down to trial them in the short term.                                                      There have been a few few social events fundamentally around HiFi that I have managed to attend, so all is not so dire.

If the interest is still out there to trial these cables at home, please let me know and I will forward them on.

I will look to make a reusable packaging, in case they are to visit a few homes.   

I now have the Mogami Cables back in my possession.                                                                                                                                                                                               They have been returned slightly different to how they left me, they are adorned in a full set of Banana Plugs.                                                                                                I haven't participated in much personal HiFi experiences since Kegworth, so can't see me sitting down to trial them in the short term.                                                      There have been a few few social events fundamentally around HiFi that I have managed to attend, so all is not so dire.
If the interest is still out there to trial these cables at home, please let me know and I will forward them on.
I will look to make a reusable packaging, in case they are to visit a few homes.   
Many thanks for the offer John, I would still like to borrow the leads. The banana plugs are a help as I use them on my ELS63s and 405.
I'm in the process of replacing the audio boards in the 63s for One thing audio upgrades so the Mogami leads will be 2nd change this year.
I had the chance to compare "old and new" as I upgraded them myself 1 at a time. To my ears, the mid/top and attack was cleaner- it was a worthwhile update. The boards possibly dated from 1990 so I suppose it should have been an improvement. Looking forward to auditioning the Mogamis.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Super Wammer
On 04/06/2019 at 08:42, wizmax said:

There are many theories that surround this hobby of ours and ESL's seem to attract more than their fair share.

I too was told on this forum that the 18 watt Ming Da 845 valve mono block power amps that I use with my ESL989s were not powerful enough to get the best out of the speakers and that I should buy something with much bigger output. Although I, and many other Wammers,  were more than happy with the sound I was getting from my system I decided to follow the advice and purchased a fairly new pair of SS Quad Elite mono blocks with 150 watts per side for £440, whilst of course keeping the 845's, just in case. 

After a lengthy period of comparison between the two sets of mono's I decided that the Ming Da's were more than capable of bring out all that the 989's had to offer and so sold the Elites on for a profit of £30.

Moving on, two years later, and I have decided that there is more to come from ESL's and am taking delivery of a pair of ESL 2905's tomorrow, the £30 is not helping much with the upgrade!  

Atlast!!! An OC I an join on the wam (most of my kit doesn't have many users) as I have taken possession of Robins 989s.

And as for the 1st 2 highlighted paragraphs above, Yes they do perform better with more watts up them........ As long as they're the right kind of watts, valve based Watts. Once again they're 845 powered watts but this time from my 90 wpc IA monos. And yes, Robin was surprised how good his old 989s now sounded, reckoning I had got more out of them than he had. Combining the detail and air of the Ming Da monos with the weight and authority of the Rogers A100 he had used. 

Anyway I'm loving them and what they do, I've lost none of the bass that my previous Usher Dancer Mini 2s gave me but have gained in musicality and detail, so win, win.