The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Quad electrostatic speaker owners club

I had the guitarist, Eduardo Niebla round the other night (he said, name-dropping!); he's got 2905s with (I think) 909 amps as part of Quad sponsoring him, as well as PMC BB2s and Bryston 4bsst in his studio.

He mentioned how wonderful the 2905s are, especially for acoustic music and being there, but that my bastardised Ditton/Leema-in-series with Bryston 14bsst beat the crap out of them for overall clean-ness and absolute slam. It could, however, have been that I was playing him mainly vinyl...

I had the guitarist, Eduardo Niebla round the other night (he said, name-dropping!); he's got 2905s with (I think) 909 amps as part of Quad sponsoring him, as well as PMC BB2s and Bryston 4bsst in his studio.

He mentioned how wonderful the 2905s are, especially for acoustic music and being there, but that my bastardised Ditton/Leema-in-series with Bryston 14bsst beat the crap out of them for overall clean-ness and absolute slam. It could, however, have been that I was playing him mainly vinyl...

As a fellow bass player, i do likes me low frequencies.

I agree on the "slam"

So I run a Velodyne Digital Sub, which helps move the foundations around a bit.

:rockin:

It will be a diffrent story at Scalford....square room :nerves:

He said, getting his excuses in early.

Don't worry on that score, the memory of Wish You Where Here at Scalford two years ago remains with me. Stunning.

Slight toe in.

Close to side walls.

3 foot from the back wall.

Corner bass traps, some acoustic panels (these stats DO bass)

Not too difficult or time consuming to get right.

It will be a diffrent story at Scalford....square room :nerves:

He said, getting his excuses in early.

I was refering more specifically toward optimal imaging, not always so easily formulaic ime, especially were an less than ideal room is in play.

I have recently acquired a pair of ESL63s after listening to some 57s that were brilliant but didn't work in my room. These are absolutely  superb particularly paired with a Quad 33 and 303!  Recently one has taken to occasionally making a quiet ticking noise. Can anyone advise what the problem is likely to be and if it can be fixed without a major re build that I can't afford at present:( thanks for the help

My 57's did the same. I figured that the electrostatic charge had to discharge somewhere, and that when there was an earth point closer to the panel than the rest of the speaker (e.g. slight dent in metal cover) that it would create a hotspot that made the clicking sound. Although I have to say I couldn't hear it when any music was playing, however quiet....

On 28/07/2014 at 14:31, IanG-UK said:

I've owned Quads of various guises for 35 years - 57s, 57s with REL Stentor, 63s, 63s with Gradients, 989s and 2905s.

The 2905s are, without doubt, the best overall but just too big for my room. I think they need a room at least 14ft x 22ft and probably up to 18ft x 28ft - to give them the space they need but not too much space to fill, depending on your preferred listening level.

I'm thinking of getting back into ESL's again after many years with a pair of 2905's but your comments have raised some doubts as my dedicated listening room is 15ft x 12ft. Not sure what issues this might raise with them but the 2805's are not that much smaller only being a little shorter. 

Off to One Thing Audio tomorrow to get one of my ELS 57s looked that has developed some distortion in the treble panel. It is more than 20 years since they were serviced, again by One Thing audio so I don't feel too hard done by. I don't think they have a reputation for speed of service so I will be without the Quads for at lease 3 weeks I feel - a long time when you are addicted to listening to them. I have just managed to track down a Croft 3 OTL from someone who wanted to clear some space and have been enjoying the most incredible music through my system so it is going to be a long three weeks.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Well I heard Quad ESL 57's when I was about 28 in a Music / Hi Fi Store in Southport (long since closed and i do not rememebr the name of it) Although the owner was very biased towards Classical Music I did get him to play some of my music choice and I lived the sound and really wanted a pair.

A long discussion with the shop owner and he convinced me that I did not have a big enough room and with my choice of music they would not play enough bass or loud enough .

i have heard them on and off about five times since then and always loved the sound. Again still convinced I could not get the in my system and just ignored them .

Fast forward to this year and the purchase of a 405 amp from Mike in Kendal drove up to collect the amp which was all that he promised . Had met Mike from Kegworth and we chatted and over a cup of tea took to his music room to lsten to a couple of tunes. His Quads are on stands that raise them about 12-18 inches from the floor and tilt the speaker forward . They are close to the back wall and behind then they are have boxes and equipment stacked high . The sound was wonderful and just standing there drinking tea and listening made me convinced that I could get a pair in my own room .

So I have and they are a very nice pair of Quad ESL 57 they have been worked on by One Thing and appear to have the improved power supply and the crossover box they make . What else has been done is not clear as the person I bought them from had taken them as a part ex and did not have full details form the original owners. They have some wooden stands that while not as good as the Russ Andrews ones Mike has do the same thing and are fine.

They are now in my music room and working and they sound superb (well rather they did ) . Then I used the DSpeaker Anti Mode unit on them and forgot how severe the bass signals this puts out . When i returned to the room there was a nasty smell of burning which was like TCP . The DSpeaker has now been removed to another system and I have inserted a MiniDSP 2224 DRC unit which does a more through digital correction but uses much less powerful signal sweeps .

They have now been in place for about five days in current state with the Quads left switched on and they sound really excellent . The DIRAC Live software helps with the so called sweet spot and makes this much less noticable . The also have bass and like any music I play through them . They are not forgiving of bad recordings you hear all the recording faults all to clearly but now you can also listen through to the music which is what you want . I want to hear things warts and all but I still want to be able to listen to the music.

Because I have such an OCD personality even though they sound excellent I am still worried that my idiocy has damaged the speakers so next week they are going off to Andrew Jones in Leicester for him to look over and let me know what if anything they need to have done. While he does this I will get the covers sprayed black as i do not like the bronze / brown finish . Once this has been done I will then have peace of mind that these units are working at their best and they will be staying for quite a long time .

My poorly Quad 57 has been safely packed up and delivered to Steven at One Thing Audio today in Coventry. It was great to meet Steven and talk about the Quad electrostatics with someone so knowledgeable about them as he is. He has a very high opinion of the 63 model which was interesting to hear. My Quad will be having the treble panel replaced. Steven was able to tell from the sticker he put on them when they were serviced by OTA and after referencing his book of services he found out exactly when they were serviced - it was 18 years ago almost to the day! Pretty good service I feel from my Quads to go this long without any intervention and they have not had an easy life with plenty of house moves and a year in storage when I was living in South America. As I said I was a bit fearful about how long the job would take but Steven assured me they should be ready in about a week so that is brilliant service from him. Feel the speaker is in very good hands and I am pleased I have taken it there. Now really looking forward to hearing it back in the system fully functioning.

Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum, so how are you all? If this post is in the wrong place do please move it.

I have just acquired a pair of rather lovely 2805's. Had ESL57's for many years , then a pair of ESL63's - then, after a lot of fiddling about with other speakers, finally got the 2805's. They sound great with a Marantz PM14-S1 Special Edition driving them, but I am wondering whether a move to a new Quad 11 Classic integrated might be worthwhile. Does anyone have any experience of this combination? My listening room is quite small (14 x 12 with 8ft6 ceiling), so I suspect power will not be a concern. My days of headbanging to AC/DC are behind me!

All comments gratefully received.

Super Wammer

My newly acquired Quad ESL57 have now gone to Andrew Jones at AQuadThing Audio in Leicester . As I suspected my over zealous use of the dSpeaker room correction module has exposed the aged (1971) bass panels and these will all need to be replaced.

Good news is the Treble panels are of a better OTA mfg and are fine and the Power Supply and crossover box OTA make have also been fitted which makes driving the units that much better. Sadly the panel rebuilds for the Bass units (4 of these to be done) will take a fair bit of time and it is going to be in the new year before I get the fully refurbished including a front panel respray in my preferred black finish  .

While this is a bit frustrating (not to mention expensive) Andrew is confident they will sound better than the day they were made and will be good for at least another 10 + years without any further work (my stupidity is not covered by this , which is very fair) . What is puzzling me is that they sounded pretty good even in their less than perfect state (good enough to convince my wife Linda to let them stay ) so what is the sound going to be like when they are confirmed as fully working at their optimum level ? It will mean that when I do get them back in my music room that I will have to do a complete DIRAC live measurement again and this time I will get the masking tape and tape measure out so that as near as I can the measurements are precise all of which will make the day I get them back one of desperate frustration of wanting to hear how good they sound but having a long careful process to go through to ensure they sound at their best from the very first bit of music that they play .

I will let everyone on here know how the day goes and comment on the sound quality when I am done  .

• Like 1