Quad electrostatic speaker owners club

My speakers came with a big book on the history of Quad. You might consider buying a pair yourself to get the book. :)

I would love to have a pair of 57's for a second system but I'm nearing retirement age with frightfully little savings so I'll just have to live with the gear I have unless I can find a pair of non-working ones dirt cheap and rebuild them myself. Fortunately, I already have a very nice pair of homebuilt hybrid ESL's which sound pretty awesome.

Super Wammer

Well, time for me to post here, methinks. A couple of days ago, I decided to try rolling down the 'stockings' on my 63's in my 63/ Gradient combo. Why didn't I do it sooner! Now, the cloth is thinner than current offerings, according to Ron at One Thing Audio, and I have the pro grilles, which sound more open than the stock grilles, but the improvement is such that I won't be pulling them back up. More transparency, for certain. They may look a bit uglier, but I'm lucky enough to have a separate lounge that we keep tidier for visitors, and I have a very understanding wife.

So, if its feasible for you to use your Quads with the cloth rolled down or removed, I seriously urge you try it. If it's not something you could live with cosmetically, it may be be wise to leave be, as you may end up unhappy at having to put the cloth back in place.

Bliss.

Super Wammer

Thanks, Bob. Sounds like a plan, I'll have a look for those.:^

16670114323_7c5f3e5956_z.jpg

Totally renovated 57s. I also have 63s on stands, but these will go for sale soon as the ProAcs simply are *much* better.

Super Wammer

The 57's look lovely on those stands. Presumably, the proacs go deeper in the bass than the 63's? That's my only criticism of the 63's, that and not being able to play them very loud. I find that the MIDs and HF are to die for, but they need some help in the lower bass. Paired with the gradient subs, they are perfect IMO. I dare say the bigger Quads kick ass too.

Super Wammer

Protective covers for Quad Stats

After recently trying my ESL63's 'with their socks down' and resolving to never pull them back up again, I went on the hunt for some covers to put over them when not in use.

I came across a Russian lady on Ebay that hand-makes cloth covers and sent her a message to ask what colours are available. She seems very nice and very helpful and will basically look for the suitable cloth in whatever colour you specify. She has also made covers for the larger models and Quad 57's.

The feedback on her account suggests that the customers are very happy with them. My wife has said she actually likes how the 63's look without the cloth, so no covers required here, but thought I'd point other Quad stat owners in the direction of this good lady, should they be interested in covers.

I have no connection with the seller, just introducing people to each other that may be able to help each other out...

An example of her covers...http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/271869961177

or

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/271869961177

Valve amplifier designer & maker, Tom Willis, who IS Art Audio, and does a lot of work for Definitive Sound, came round last night to listen to the 2905 electrostatics.

We had a great evening listening to Jazz, Classical, Nick Drake, London Grammar etc.

He spent much of the time working out what he needed to do to get a pair of 2905s into his lounge.

Tom has a very nice hifi set up with some decent floorstanders.

His final comment was "I really don't know why they bother, making speakers any other way!"

Not that owners need vindication, but nice to hear all the same.

They'll be in the PDR @ Scalford this Sunday.

Super Wammer

I had a listen to Kens (liverustman) 2905's the other day, I was taken aback by their size, but boy do they do bass. The best I have ever heard vocals, and stringed instruments are just superb. They still do not image brilliantly though, but all in all a top class speaker :^

I had a listen to Kens (liverustman) 2905's the other day, I was taken aback by their size, but boy do they do bass. The best I have ever heard vocals, and stringed instruments are just superb. They still do not image brilliantly though, but all in all a top class speaker :^

The opposite of Tom Willis's opinion last nite.

Optimal room placement and to an extent treatment can be problematical were Imaging with large stats are concerned, an inch here an inch there and a day later you may find yourself set up in a totally different position or just as likely back where you stared from!

Super Wammer
Optimal room placement and to an extent treatment can be problematical were Imaging with large stats are concerned, an inch here an inch there and a day later you may find yourself set up in a totally different position or just as likely back where you stared from!

Yes I understand that they can be problematical with positioning, I also preferred listening to them from further back, where Ken had his listening position nearer.

Tom Willis, what does he know ;-)

Slight toe in.

Close to side walls.

3 foot from the back wall.

Corner bass traps, some acoustic panels (these stats DO bass)

Not too difficult or time consuming to get right.

It will be a diffrent story at Scalford....square room :nerves:

He said, getting his excuses in early.

- - - Updated - - -

Tom Willis, what does he know ;-)

He knows he's got to get rid of his 63's & get some 2905s.

Super Wammer

He said, getting his excuses in early. (quote)

But your only taking one speaker, or are you not doing a mono room now :)

He said, getting his excuses in early. (quote)

But your only taking one speaker, or are you not doing a mono room now :)

I'm bolting them together to make one giant, stacked, mono, 2905.

He said, reaching for the medication.

:nuts: