The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Quad electrostatic speaker owners club

Given the size of room and my taste in music, I have not heard anything better than a good pair of 63s running off a good PP valve amp. Tonal colour without colouration, articulation, dynamic variety, basically everything that makes music musical for me is there in spades.

Like 57s, everyone should hear a good set of 63s at some point.

Given the size of room and my taste in music, I have not heard anything better than a good pair of 63s running off a good PP valve amp. Tonal colour without colouration, articulation, dynamic variety, basically everything that makes music musical for me is there in spades.

Like 57s, everyone should hear a good set of 63s at some point.

Meh

I have 989's but not using them currently, my room is too small. I had them set up on some 11" stands to get the centres ear level, using them with AI second audio amps sounded lovely. Looking forward to enjoying them again when I move.

Just bought a pair of ESL989 off a Wammer. Really rather liking them, much, much better than the previous ESL's I have had (57 & 63), the 989 have BASS and can go louder than a weasel. Mine have just been to Quad to have all new panels and be re-furbed.

I suspect that the ESL's "go off", so a newer / refurbished pair of the more recent ones might sound better. I expect the 2905 are better, they look nicer if nothing else.

I am not using a sub at the moment, as I don't feel the need as they go to 30Hz anyway. One day I'll try them with a M&K MX5000.

They are being used with the following system; Micromega Duo 3.0 transport/AudioMeca Ellixir DAC/Hafler 101 pre/Primare 928 monos. Yet to try them with valves, I was tempted to try the Coincedent mono's ChelseaDave was selling with them.

Just bought a pair of ESL989 off a Wammer. Really rather liking them, much, much better than the previous ESL's I have had (57 & 63), the 989 have BASS and can go louder than a weasel. Mine have just been to Quad to have all new panels and be re-furbed.

I suspect that the ESL's "go off", so a newer / refurbished pair of the more recent ones might sound better. I expect the 2905 are better, they look nicer if nothing else.

I am not using a sub at the moment, as I don't feel the need as they go to 30Hz anyway. One day I'll try them with a M&K MX5000.

They are being used with the following system; Micromega Duo 3.0 transport/AudioMeca Ellixir DAC/Hafler 101 pre/Primare 928 monos. Yet to try them with valves, I was tempted to try the Coincedent mono's ChelseaDave was selling with them.

Good purchase!

Had a natter with Mark (missing link) @ scalford & he reckons ESL's don't go quite as low as Quad say.

He's a former sound engineer & knows these things.

So a sub supports the ESL bottom end & gets deeper than they ever can.

I've run a sub with my 989's & 2905's & wouldn't be without it.

I am increasingly pursuaded that electrostatics will suit my music preferences. I am listening to more jazz nowadays and have always loved chamber music, classical guitar and vocals.

I've been doing a lot of reading and I am very impressed by the scope and depth of information on here - http://www.quadesl.org/

I haven't actually listened to any ESL for many years but I still vividly remember being blown away by a jazz recording played through stacked 57s.

From what I have read, ESL panels can be damaged and degraded by over-driving, rough handling and even ageing (see R&D in http://www.quadesl.org/).

My conclusion is that it would be unwise to buy a pair at full s/h cost unless at least some panels had been changed out. It would seem better

to try to find a cheaper non/partially working pair with a view to spending cash on a refurb from the start.

The 989 would be my first choice but the high initial cost and possible refurb bills could bust my budget.

I am thinking of buying a cheap(ish) pair of 63s now after more reading on reliability.

• Like 1

I am increasingly pursuaded that electrostatics will suit my music preferences. I am listening to more jazz nowadays and have always loved chamber music, classical guitar and vocals.

I've been doing a lot of reading and I am very impressed by the scope and depth of information on here - http://www.quadesl.org/

I haven't actually listened to any ESL for many years but I still vividly remember being blown away by a jazz recording played through stacked 57s.

From what I have read, ESL panels can be damaged and degraded by over-driving, rough handling and even ageing (see R&D in http://www.quadesl.org/).

My conclusion is that it would be unwise to buy a pair at full s/h cost unless at least some panels had been changed out. It would seem better

to try to find a cheaper non/partially working pair with a view to spending cash on a refurb from the start.

The 989 would be my first choice but the high initial cost and possible refurb bills could bust my budget.

I am thinking of buying a cheap(ish) pair of 63s now after more reading on reliability.

My 1961 ESL57's are still going very well, I use them every day, a service of the crossover network in 1998 has been the only repair required.

Here I insert a recommendation for Manfred Stein and the guys at Quad Muiskwiedergabe:

http://www.quad-musik.de/

- that's him in the photo. They refurbished my Quads and have since repaired them. Manfred inherited all the jigs and tools for making the ESLs, including Peter Walker's wonderful membrane stretching frame, of which he is particularly proud.

Manfred now makes new models with improved electronics stored in an extended base.

http://www.quad-musik.de/html/esl57qa.html

Not cheap, but then, once you have the dreaded ESL disease...

Hi! Here is my QUAD ESL57's (serial numbers 4336 and 4359):

Radford+%252830%2529.JPG

A legendary classics...

Regards, Andrew.

I've owned Quads of various guises for 35 years - 57s, 57s with REL Stentor, 63s, 63s with Gradients, 989s and 2905s.

The 2905s are, without doubt, the best overall but just too big for my room. I think they need a room at least 14ft x 22ft and probably up to 18ft x 28ft - to give them the space they need but not too much space to fill, depending on your preferred listening level.

It is such a pity that in IAG's hands the interest and innovation has gone. The 57s and 63s were the real innovations from Peter Walker supplemented by the extended 989 version from Stan Curtis. So nothing really radically new from the IAG owners for 16 years - though maybe the design has nothing more to give because, if you like that wonderfully transparent sound with the right music there is nothing more you can ask for apart from something much smaller.

I sold my 989s to Bob ("It Cost How Much") fully refurbished by Quad - so they should last many more years - and if "Barney's Dad" bought his 2905s from Emporium they may well be the ones I sold to them.

I've only come across three speakers in all that time to compare with the Quads and each of them is pretty non-standard for a moving coil application. First the Celestion SL600 with its very light and inert cabinet - but with base and loudness limitations. Second the CML Etude based solely on BMR technology - but not quite so fast and transparent though remarkable for the price. And now the Magico Q1 which i think equals the 2905 but at four times the price and visually better suited to a smaller room - and with no unease of overdrive which can still happen with the Quads albeit in a protected way.

It would be nice to have seem PJW's next ESL project (known as "Peter's Balls") come to fruition but I suspect no one at IAG knows how to take the design forward. My brief encounters with IAG at the Munich shows suggest little interest in taking the brand forward as happened in the past but interest in exploiting the name whilst ever the reputation lasts.

I've owned Quads of various guises for 35 years - 57s, 57s with REL Stentor, 63s, 63s with Gradients, 989s and 2905s.

The 2905s are, without doubt, the best overall but just too big for my room. I think they need a room at least 14ft x 22ft and probably up to 18ft x 28ft - to give them the space they need but not too much space to fill, depending on your preferred listening level.

It is such a pity that in IAG's hands the interest and innovation has gone. The 57s and 63s were the real innovations from Peter Walker supplemented by the extended 989 version from Stan Curtis. So nothing really radically new from the IAG owners for 16 years - though maybe the design has nothing more to give because, if you like that wonderfully transparent sound with the right music there is nothing more you can ask for apart from something much smaller.

I sold my 989s to Bob ("It Cost How Much") fully refurbished by Quad - so they should last many more years - and if "Barney's Dad" bought his 2905s from Emporium they may well be the ones I sold to them.

I've only come across three speakers in all that time to compare with the Quads and each of them is pretty non-standard for a moving coil application. First the Celestion SL600 with its very light and inert cabinet - but with base and loudness limitations. Second the CML Etude based solely on BMR technology - but not quite so fast and transparent though remarkable for the price. And now the Magico Q1 which i think equals the 2905 but at four times the price and visually better suited to a smaller room - and with no unease of overdrive which can still happen with the Quads albeit in a protected way.

It would be nice to have seem PJW's next ESL project (known as "Peter's Balls") come to fruition but I suspect no one at IAG knows how to take the design forward. My brief encounters with IAG at the Munich shows suggest little interest in taking the brand forward as happened in the past but interest in exploiting the name whilst ever the reputation lasts.

Still loving the 989's Ian, they are in a room 22ft x 18ft with 13ft ceilings and thick walls. Sounding great, sometime I feel the need for a sub but mostly not. I needed to change my pre, as the previous one wasn't right.

One day maybe a pair of 2905's.

Still loving the 989's Ian, they are in a room 22ft x 18ft with 13ft ceilings and thick walls. Sounding great, sometime I feel the need for a sub but mostly not. I needed to change my pre, as the previous one wasn't right.

One day maybe a pair of 2905's.

I thought I'd be buried in a coffin made of my 989's.

But a certain hifi dealer told me i'd be mad to pass, on some 2nd hand 2905's.

And it wasn't even him selling them.

He was right.

The lightish bass on previous esl's has been sorted in the 2905's.

Do the newer ones (post '63 - I still live in the early '90s) benefit from being raised? I've been wondering whether I'd be better off getting subs for my '63s (thinking of GR Acoustics servo subs in DIY OB frames that will double as stands, like Gradients), or upgrading in the range. Mine are original, though they may have had some refurb a while ago, but the PO wasn't sure if the owner prior to him had done anything. So I expect they'll need a return to Quad for refurb at some point.

One thing I like about the '63s is the switchable mains voltage. I move 'round the world every few years, so that'd be handy.

Are shipping boxes available for the '63s (I know, contact Quad, but thought I'd ask)?

Do the newer ones (post '63 - I still live in the early '90s) benefit from being raised?

Are shipping boxes available for the '63s (I know, contact Quad, but thought I'd ask)?

Two boxes with foam cost me just £50 this time last year (had a full service/rebuild, so the).

I tried them on the frame stands which raised them about 9 inches but soon popped them on two chairs from Ikea,

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30115066/

Kushti :^

atb

Ronnie

Hello all,

I hope you fellows won't mind be butting in, as I'm not a Quad owner-- just an admirer of Peter Walker and his creations and I do own a pair of homebuilt electrostats, so I can relate to your devotion to these marvelous speakers.

Charlie