tackleberry

Musical fidelity massive!!!!!

The switchable inputs on the power amps is one of the reasons I bought Bommers old system (308cr pre, 308cr power and 308 CD).

It replaced a Krell 300i amp and 300CD plater - I miss the. Krell CD player (lovely organic sounding unit) but the 308 pre/power matches the bass of the Krell amp whilst being significantly smoother in the mids and top end with enough clout to drive big 4ohm floor standers and ML electrostatics.

Since ripping to FLAC and streaming, the CD player rarely gets used - still sounds good but it's great having your whole collection at your finger tips.

Perhaps that DAC is worth a listen.

Won't ever forget the first time I clapped eyes on an A370 power amp at a dealers - never will understand how a company that can make the A1000 (and the E series to a lesser extent) could offer for sale a 2 tonne block of steel!

Apparently they did an even bigger pair of Monoblocks around the same time - M570? - good luck moving them into a rack!

Hi Musical Fidelity fans :)

When i was around 15/18 i remember looking at the X range and wanting all of it..

Well, about 4 months ago i started collecting it.

Upto now i have -

X-a2 integrated

2x X as100 power amps

X-ray spinner

X 10D (which i don't think has been modified at all, is it highly recommended?)

X can

X psu

X Dac

And i'm constantly looking for other stuff..

It was the aesthetics that attracted me when i was younger and their "outside the box" styling but as iv'e gotten older i think its the value of them now vs the way they still sit in a living room and look current. All be it on the floor for the time being..

I'm chuffed with my kit and none of it has let me down given that it was all sourced second hand its its all faultless.

Here's a shot - they're laid out differently now, rack is next on my list but i really really want to build my own.

11756128924_f41e5bf214_z.jpg

:)

• Like 1

Got to say just read this thread and thought i would put my Elektra 100 forward from the range that did not sell well but i think this is THE RANGE that slipped through the net . I think the problem was that in 1994 £600 was a heck of a lot of cash to spend and people preferred cyrus and other associated names. Mines still going strong as you would expect and it drives my rogers LS7 speakers fine the sound is very nice indeed it has also a very good phono stage i can't really say much more then that i think its good not the best but GOOD.

I've had loads of MF kit over the years and generally rate it highly.

A370mk2, F18 power amps both good. The F18 was a huge hybrid valve/ss 56Kg monster with razor sharp external heatsinks. :roll: I needed heavy duty leather gardening gloves to move it. Somewhat soggy bass but great mids and top. Drove my Martin Logan CLS2Z fullrange stats very nicely.

F22 valve pre was good after a bit of tube rolling.

FCD cdp. Mmmm, I loved that cdp. Palpable presence in spades:^

A324 DAC and A308 pre were a big disappointment - quite bland.

The X10D was an interesting exercise in pure marketing waffle - must have sold shedloads though.

The X-Pre valve pre wasn't bad.

MC5 speakers were fun for a short while but not well suited to classical music.

Won't ever forget the first time I clapped eyes on an A370 power amp at a dealers - never will understand how a company that can make the A1000 (and the E series to a lesser extent) could offer for sale a 2 tonne block of steel!

Apparently they did an even bigger pair of Monoblocks around the same time - M570? - good luck moving them into a rack!

The big mother was the SA470 - 350 watts of 99% Class A. 100 amp current, and close to 100 kilos ...

sa470.JPG

The MF stuff looked nice often.

I admit despite my enjoyment of looks-value I major on sound minoring.

I'd had faith in MF gear for a number of years after owning the B1 for several and then an A1 (which I promptly blew the back out of by picking it up one day with the power attached but no speakers - guess who's belly hit the on/off switch as I did so) . Repaired that with new O/P trannies and that ran well for years. I the. Migrated down the marantz route for a couple of years with some KI stuff but then saw the A3Cr pre and fell in love at first sight/sound. I run this to this day with a pair of TT Genesis mono blocks and love the sounds it's capable of. The phono stage is it's only let down as it is noisy on mc in my opinion although sounds well enough. I then got the A3 CD player which I also like and then the A3cr24 dac which is one of my all time best buys, I have modded it and it sounds stunning with whatever I put before it. Always amazes me how a different transport can change the sound of it too. I run it with my old Micromega stage 2 sometimes which offers a broader soundstage than the a3cd but not quite the finesse and detail extraction but is somewhat more musical.

then a couple of years ago picked up the matching tuner which is also a great receiver and I enjoy that's too but don't listen to radio that much to be honest, mainly live events on radio 2 of some divine concerts on 3 - despise commercial compressed radio even on full analogue but the main been stations sound fine. I have just put up a big yagi for this and it's transformed the performance to newer heights beyond belief to my ears.

I remember seeing their super looking turntable at a show a good few years ago and fell in love again but well out of my price range.

All in all I like their gear, I normally buy secondhand so their pricing strategy does not bother me to be honest, there are a lot of firms who do this in all fields and it is wrong indeed. I remember when the Electra ranges were getting cleared out of dealers very cheap but never bought.

enjoy enjoy enjoy.

I'd had faith in MF gear for a number of years after owning the B1 for several and then an A1 (which I promptly blew the back out of by picking it up one day with the power attached but no speakers - guess who's belly hit the on/off switch as I did so) . Repaired that with new O/P trannies and that ran well for years. I the. Migrated down the marantz route for a couple of years with some KI stuff but then saw the A3Cr pre and fell in love at first sight/sound. I run this to this day with a pair of TT Genesis mono blocks and love the sounds it's capable of. The phono stage is it's only let down as it is noisy on mc in my opinion although sounds well enough. I then got the A3 CD player which I also like and then the A3cr24 dac which is one of my all time best buys, I have modded it and it sounds stunning with whatever I put before it. Always amazes me how a different transport can change the sound of it too. I run it with my old Micromega stage 2 sometimes which offers a broader soundstage than the a3cd but not quite the finesse and detail extraction but is somewhat more musical.

then a couple of years ago picked up the matching tuner which is also a great receiver and I enjoy that's too but don't listen to radio that much to be honest, mainly live events on radio 2 of some divine concerts on 3 - despise commercial compressed radio even on full analogue but the main been stations sound fine. I have just put up a big yagi for this and it's transformed the performance to newer heights beyond belief to my ears.

I remember seeing their super looking turntable at a show a good few years ago and fell in love again but well out of my price range.

All in all I like their gear, I normally buy secondhand so their pricing strategy does not bother me to be honest, there are a lot of firms who do this in all fields and it is wrong indeed. I remember when the Electra ranges were getting cleared out of dealers very cheap but never bought.

enjoy enjoy enjoy.

Nice setup Chris. If you fancy a coffee and a listen with a fellow MF fan I'm just down the road in Rochester. Ralph.

Thanks Ralph, I think I may have just broken the bank, bought some new Audion 300b amps the other day and I am in love, so I am going to be selling my MF gear I think, to help finance it all. Trouble is I am not sure what to do with them, put them on the bay I guess. I don't have enough posts to sell on here yet so I guess it will have to be that. I am somewhat reluctant to do so, as they have served me so well but perhaps it's time for a change round. My only issue is these 300b's don't fit in the rack and I have had to displace the turntable for the time being, which is breaking my heart lol. Coffee sounds like a nice idea. Bit busy this week as getting married at the weekend but after that perhaps we will have to have a coffee and a chat. Cheers, Chris

- - - Updated - - -

Also very reluctant to get shot of my beloved TT Genesis too, as I have just re bottled them too they have far more grunt of course but lack the absolute finesse of the Audions. I have always cherished the sound of single ended triodes :P

Chris if you want to sell your MF gear on here you just pay a £10 Super Wammer sub.

Good luck.

Thanks Ralph, I think I may have just broken the bank, bought some new Audion 300b amps the other day and I am in love, so I am going to be selling my MF gear I think, to help finance it all. Trouble is I am not sure what to do with them, put them on the bay I guess. I don't have enough posts to sell on here yet so I guess it will have to be that. I am somewhat reluctant to do so, as they have served me so well but perhaps it's time for a change round. My only issue is these 300b's don't fit in the rack and I have had to displace the turntable for the time being, which is breaking my heart lol. Coffee sounds like a nice idea. Bit busy this week as getting married at the weekend but after that perhaps we will have to have a coffee and a chat. Cheers, Chris

- - - Updated - - -

Also very reluctant to get shot of my beloved TT Genesis too, as I have just re bottled them too they have far more grunt of course but lack the absolute finesse of the Audions. I have always cherished the sound of single ended triodes :P

Morning Chris. Have a fantastic weekend and hope the sun shines for you. I saw your ads on Ebay and good luck selling your gear as well. :^

2 V90 DACs one in the primary system the other in the second also A1 FBP pre and LPS II phono and vps in the second system

How do you guys rate the m6i? Seems a very good price ex dem (£1500) considering the spec vis a vis similarly priced integrateds.

Just the one in my collection.

A100 which has sat in the 'spares' section for the last ten years at least. I can't remember when I bought it but I just loved the looks and bought it on spec from eBay. It sounded very good but the volume control was floppy and only one input worked.

Last month I was moved to take it apart. The volume control was just the nut that had come loose. Quick squirt of switch cleaner and suddenly all the inputs work!! It now resides in Bedroom 2 system and drives the little Kef101's very nicely indeed. Even the phono input sounds pretty good.

I guess that Mr Paravicini knew what he was doing all those years ago. (I'm not sure if any changes were made to his original A1 design apart from upping the power output)