navigator

Sixth show in 66th year--fresh thoughts for 2015?

I think it would be good (because it would aid comparison) if there were a shortlist of commonly available tracks that all exhibitors could/should bring with them.

Late on, on the Sunday, Gizza I think it was, commented that he'd heard 'Little Wing' (J Hendrix) on stacked Quads and fortunatetly I had the vinyl so he could hear it on my system. It was a useful comparison.

Another track which could be useful as a bass workout was Bach's Toccata in D Fugue (from memory..) - Speedysteve used this one year (CD) and I had a vinyl example (though different organ/church).

Its more important that we all have these tracks rather than what they are but a thread leading up to 2015 on what they might be would be fun and informative.

Jack

What would it prove though? That all the rooms sound different?

If people want to hear specific music, why don't they bring it? I don't see any value in comparison, it's not a competition (apart from how absurd a system can we build), no-one's selling anything, so what's the point apart from ego massaging? :dunno:

Anyway, it's already a two day show, Sat night is the first day.

What coco said - if you want to hear your favourite track on different systems, bring it with you and ask.

Rob's got a point.

No he hasn't. Well not a decent one anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Couldn't think of anything worse, meself.

This is my second favourite post of this week. The first was by Teddyray.

I think it would be good (because it would aid comparison) if there were a shortlist of commonly available tracks that all exhibitors could/should bring with them.

Late on, on the Sunday, Gizza I think it was, commented that he'd heard 'Little Wing' (J Hendrix) on stacked Quads and fortunatetly I had the vinyl so he could hear it on my system. It was a useful comparison.

Another track which could be useful as a bass workout was Bach's Toccata in D Fugue (from memory..) - Speedysteve used this one year (CD) and I had a vinyl example (though different organ/church).

Its more important that we all have these tracks rather than what they are but a thread leading up to 2015 on what they might be would be fun and informative.

Jack

This or the extended show period would be more than enough to stop me exhibiting again. I quite enjoy playing music that people have brought along, but the idea of having some kind of mass playlist I find odd. What do people want the show to be, a celebration of what we all enjoy, or a pissing up the wall competition, because that it was it would become.

2013 was my first Scalford, I couldn't make it this year but will definitely try to make the 2015 show as I enjoyed 2013 so much. I think the basic format of the show is excellent and very well organised.

What would I like to see? I would like to see and hear the best of the systems that I previously saw/heard plus some new ones too. The best for me was often not the most expensive or exotic.

I think it would be too samey if all of the rooms had the same people playing the same music on the same systems year after year.

Maybe you could consider some sort of policy whereby someone can exhibit for two years in a row and then has to sit out for a year. This would encourage new people to get a room.

Forgive my ignorance if something like this is already in operation.

2013 was my first Scalford, I couldn't make it this year but will definitely try to make the 2015 show as I enjoyed 2013 so much. I think the basic format of the show is excellent and very well organised.

What would I like to see? I would like to see and hear the best of the systems that I previously saw/heard plus some new ones too. The best for me was often not the most expensive or exotic.

I think it would be too samey if all of the rooms had the same people playing the same music on the same systems year after year.

Maybe you could consider some sort of policy whereby someone can exhibit for two years in a row and then has to sit out for a year. This would encourage new people to get a room.

Forgive my ignorance if something like this is already in operation.

First-time exhibitors always get first dibs on a room.

Freefall and myself have tried the same track in several rooms and on basically similar lineups.

I'd say that the rooms sound made more or equal changes to the repro than did subsequent kit changes-

therefore IMO hearing a particular track in many different systems would not be valid as a comparator and certainly of little use in estimating a systems sound in one's own domestic environment.

I think details may be noticed here and there and variation in presentation [eg great for a 2 mins ott bang/tizz listen/ or great for a longer term serious non fatiguing detailed listen]

but transferring that to the home sound by purchase of similar kit will likely lead to disappointment.

However Gaining nuggets of knowledge from the exhibitors and other wammers re their understanding of the sound[and vision] in their room and how they constructed it is the best value for the entrance fee.

Such advisory leads can save large sums and heartache.

I do agree with the sentiment re times warp speed when demoing -its odd that it reaches 2-3pm and nothing has passed lips except talk.

That rumbling wasn't spurious bass modes its a stomache begging!!

Super Wammer
This or the extended show period would be more than enough to stop me exhibiting again. I quite enjoy playing music that people have brought along, but the idea of having some kind of mass playlist I find odd. What do people want the show to be, a celebration of what we all enjoy, or a pissing up the wall competition, because that it was it would become.

Well said , totally agree. The year I exhibited I thoroughly enjoyed myself, played some of my music , some that was brought in , I had conversations about the kit,. and how I arrived at my present set up. It certainly never felt like a competition, and I for one hope it never goes down that road.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The last thing it needs (from my massive experience of one show) is to turn into an audio equivalent of a brass band contest. One of the most interesting parts of the show was seeing what and how people listened to the music they love, which is why I held off the requests for the first part of the day.

It works.

Selected tracks it would be like a visit to the dealers in the 1980's. Brothers in Arms anyone?

If you need a bass fix just visit Harvs room.

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

Super Wammer

If you need a bass fix just visit Harvs room.

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

Indeed. That was something else !

k