navigator

Sixth show in 66th year--fresh thoughts for 2015?

Forces all exhibitors to stay the Saturday night. Forces most exhibitors to stay the Sunday night. Forces those hiring vans to pay not just for a weekend hire but for weekend-plus-Monday. Therefore excludes people who work on Mondays and live more than an hour's drive from the venue. Also excludes those who are a bit strapped for cash. I'm not saying it can't be done of course. Almost anything can be done. It's just a question of whether the costs outweigh the benefits. The answer to this is always "for some people yes, for others no". I vote for leaving it as it is. I wasn't seeing a huge rise in visitor numbers in the last hour as people tried to squeeze extra rooms in. Frankly the visitors were looking a bit tired by 16:00 too.

VB

It's all a compromise.

Have lots of rooms and people can't visit them all, and feel rushed.

Have fewer rooms and you can have a shorter day, and folk feel less rushed but see less.

Extend the exhibition time and you'll exclude some, but makes things more enjoyable and convenient for your visitors.

The short show will exclude many on the grounds that they'll be farked carting a big complex rig hundreds of miles just for a few hours.

I wouldn't do it, though I would (and did) bring something simple.

You have to ask what is the point of the show.

Is it a social event for a small group of wammers to largely entertain themselves, or is it a much wider event for the benefit of visitors?

Both are perfectly valid reasons to hold the event.

It'll work however you cut it, just differently.

It's all a compromise.

Have lots of rooms and people can't visit them all, and feel rushed.

Have fewer rooms and you can have a shorter day, and folk feel less rushed but see less.

Extend the exhibition time and you'll exclude some, but makes things more enjoyable and convenient for your visitors.

You have to ask what is the point of the show.

Is it a social event for a small group of wammers to largely entertain themselves, or is it a much wider event for the benefit of visitors?

It'll work however you cut it, just differently.

I think you should PM James with your idea. He loves a bit of feedback.

Scalford works fine as it is.

Minor tweaks occur every year and most probably go largely unnoticed, but there's no need for a radical overhaul.

If it aint broke etc.

I think you should PM James with your idea. He loves a bit of feedback.

I should hope so, but here is just fine as a discussion topic.

To me it just feels like taking something the size of a normal commercial hi-fi show and shoehorning it into something which, time wise, feels like a large bake-off. Not saying it doesn't work, but on the two occasions I've been a visitor I've missed seeing many rooms through lack of time, and as an exhibitor it all seemed to end rather too quickly. It's a great event, just a bit short IMO.

I should hope so, but here is just fine as a discussion topic.

And you think the organisers will appreciate a discussion on how they could improve things? Those discussions happen every year and they always go the same way.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with this post

Can we not just close this before the idiots start posting there ideas for improving the weather/car parking/ air quality/ mix of systems/ dungeons etc?

The only idiots I'm seeing are those seeking to close down discussion on possible changes.

The only idiots I'm seeing are those seeking to close down discussion on possible changes.

So you want it to be a dealer only show? Tax deductible for them, but the rest of us................:nup:

And you think the organisers will appreciate a discussion on how they could improve things? Those discussions happen every year and they always go the same way.

- - - Updated - - -

Can we not just close this before the idiots start posting there ideas for improving the weather/car parking/ air quality/ mix of systems/ dungeons etc?

And you think the organisers will appreciate a discussion on how they could improve things?

Absolutely. Poor show if not.

It's not as if anyone is moaning about the show or the organisation, far from it.

... You have to ask what is the point of the show.

Both are perfectly valid reasons to hold the event.

This, exactly. I would suggest that at the moment it is a much wider event for the benefit of both visitors and exhibitors. There were somewhere between 500 and 600 people there on the Sunday. I would not want to turn it into a sort of super bake-off with, say, 50-60 attendees largely entertaining themselves, fun though that might be.

The other critical point though is that the event has to exist within a series of constraints, some of which are quite inflexible. For example if we extend the time window then the hotel will charge us more so we either need to attract correspondingly more visitors (which means that we've not simply reduced crowd levels) or we need to persuade the same number of visitors to pay more per head, and some of them are already unhappy with the ticket price. As Paul says, the consequences of the fixed constraints are that small tweaks are possible. But larger ones require a surprisingly radical redesign of the event.

VB

So you want it to be a dealer only show? Tax deductible for them, but the rest of us................:nup:

No I don't.

I just want it to be a bit longer if possible, so we can enjoy a great show even more.

This seems to upset a few people which is a shame.

The other critical point though is that the event has to exist within a series of constraints, some of which are quite inflexible. For example if we extend the time window then the hotel will charge us more so we either need to attract correspondingly more visitors (which means that we've not simply reduced crowd levels) or we need to persuade the same number of visitors to pay more per head, and some of them are already unhappy with the ticket price. As Paul says, the consequences of the fixed constraints are that small tweaks are possible. But larger ones require a surprisingly radical redesign of the event.

VB

^ this :^

Getting home at midnight and unloading the van in the pouring rain was not a pleasant experience but a lot more preferable than doing it at 2am consequently I think the idea sucks big time.

No I don't.

I just want it to be a bit longer if possible, so we can enjoy a great show even more.

This seems to upset a few people which is a shame.

Perhaps you could think your ideas through a little bit more. Or just discuss it with someone able to think before you post.

- - - Updated - - -

Getting home at midnight and unloading the van in the pouring rain was not a pleasant experience but a lot more preferable than doing it at 2am consequently I think the idea sucks big time.

Must spread summat etc.

• Upvote 1