navigator

Sixth show in 66th year--fresh thoughts for 2015?

Last sunday RAIN but

THINKS -'super open dynamic repro in lounge so its gunna be great in bigger room'

Lovely Scalford receptionist says 'Syndicate 15? Its a fire escape'

THINKS-'Well of course it is-a bit quirky but heh this is the wamshow so...'

VISION -'I'm playing Prodigys FIRESTARTER hit for the lines of folk trying to leave a smoking room' Decide its a bit Titanic and enter the cube room

Clap once and get echo 2 secs later.Tap floor and it bounces back.

THINKS-'Houston we have a problem. JBLs will mush this.'

but THINKS--confidently-'hell we've done this 5 x before and never been beaten by the room'

Marble slabs side curtains bass traps foo carpet ssorbos -all arrive [thankyou the donkey team-really do appreciate the carry]

Neutral wiring installed Room correction DSP also available

Press 'ON'

Sound----- yes [always a plus that]

No echo-----confirm

Roomful of early wammers some with badges --oh errr yes

HIFI music-------------? err NOOOOOOOOOOO

THINKS---'expletives ' some audible.

Esteemed son [ FFR] suggests in hope without faith that 'It'll warm up'

THINKS--'I love him-what a diplomat-he can say whats right and wrong simultaneously'

An interlude followed of about 2 fraught hours in which the lineup changed with more permutations than we had kit accompanied by explanations to full houses of curious addicts who were fortunately mesmerised and fixated by the wavering VU meters on Yammy

People came and said how much they admired the varying presentations -such kindness.

Ever so slowly the truth dawned

THINKS--'The room is resonating about 80-150 ish ' errr that's the port and box bass hump in the JBLs-----lets NOT use them!'

Now the Inspire Turntable [nice] had been carefully setup using acrylic mat [funk] Someone aged 66 didn't bring it to show.

Someone age 66 brought an acrylic mat not funk and 2mm thicker cos it seemed a GOOD IDEA .

IT wasn't ----cos it changed the luverly Shibatas position in groove and dynamics an top end suffered.

THINKS--'I'm a prat but I'm a scout and I'm prepared'

I slipped on to the platter my secret weapon----no not that ---a piece of IKEA drawer liner non slip net .

And love emanated filling the room with joyful song-HIFI was born again.

Meanwhile the 1980s Yamaha lost its cool and with 300plus damping thro wychwood biwires disciplined the Epos Epic5 towers 'get bunged and start kicking ass'. The Stevenson sound started to form-big bouncey dynamic flowing with music (but cheap and missing finesse)

Enter Nothing VS with experimental amp. Some may remember it smoked once but wow now it pours out the FI

named THE VLAD [aka IMPALOR] it soared with Lyngdorf and 2Mblack

HEAVEN and happiness spread until well after closingtime

There was a penalty to pay in the form of a MARIARCHI brass band ...impressively real if u like that sort of reality'

Barchat then sail home -[it rained a lot]

Again in 2015???

THINKS

Am thinking very small -t amps and tiny single point speakers with streamer. Maybe.

Your 2014 story follows below.

Super Wammer

My favourite show write-up so far. You've really captured the whole spirit, Dave, including the element of eccentricity in it !

k

Ha ha!

:rofl::notworthy:

Excellent stuff, that all sounds vaguely familiar!

Cheers Dad:hug:.

Quote:- "Fresh thoughts for 2015?"

Fancy dress?

There was plenty of that this year. Mostly unintentional.

Blindfolds , and follow the rope , then see what sounds best ;-)

yeah because we are not already classed as weirdos

You are new to the wam. Gimp masks and ball gags are more the thing. And being led round on a lead.

Rope? That was a rope?

Longer Sunday.

Ideally a hi-fi show needs to be 2-3 days IMO but that's not so practical outside of a trade show.

So start at 9 and finish at 7pm. Harder on the exhibitors, easier on the visitors as they get more time and aren't dashing around the place.

Longer Sunday.

Ideally a hi-fi show needs to be 2-3 days IMO but that's not so practical outside of a trade show.

So start at 9 and finish at 7pm. Harder on the exhibitors, easier on the visitors as they get more time and aren't dashing around the place.

Rubbish idea.

Longer Sunday.

Forces all exhibitors to stay the Saturday night. Forces most exhibitors to stay the Sunday night. Forces those hiring vans to pay not just for a weekend hire but for weekend-plus-Monday. Therefore excludes people who work on Mondays and live more than an hour's drive from the venue. Also excludes those who are a bit strapped for cash. I'm not saying it can't be done of course. Almost anything can be done. It's just a question of whether the costs outweigh the benefits. The answer to this is always "for some people yes, for others no". I vote for leaving it as it is. I wasn't seeing a huge rise in visitor numbers in the last hour as people tried to squeeze extra rooms in. Frankly the visitors were looking a bit tired by 16:00 too.

VB