The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

I was feeling left out....

So for me the biggest improvement came by putting them on stands, but I'm in a bit of a quandry regarding toe-in. My speakers are about 7 ft apart and 8 ft from my sofa. They are about 18 inches from the back wall and are roughly aimed at the middle of the sofa. I've tried them square on to the wall and with much more toe-in, crossing in front of the chair, and whilst they sound different in each position, I don't get the imaging I know they are capable of. I can't pull them further into the room or really move them further apart/closer together so toe-in is about all I can fiddle with....

Any suggestions? (12" HPDs in Cheviot cabs for those that can't be arsed to read my sig)

Yes, but probably not what you like to hear. If you cant get them to image my bet is reducing room reflections, at least it's worth a try. Also try to sit closer to them (the effect is the same).

Have you checked phasing?

I've had no problems getting all Tannoys I've owned to image very well so my guess its not the speakers.

Michael

I have loads of toe in on mine and always prefer it that way - sounds like you have tried this and its not worked so try better amps/source, maybe have a bake off?

This don't sound quite right, do they have a balanced sound both have the same output?

It would be a good idea to check the crossovers for dry joints,the resistors can be troublesome with dry joints in my experience.

also trying some cheap capacitor replacements would bring a large improvement in the sound, "Ansar supersound" with a little work and patience and helpful wammers them tannoys will be singing in no time

This don't sound quite right, do they have a balanced sound both have the same output?

It would be a good idea to check the crossovers for dry joints,the resistors can be troublesome with dry joints in my experience.

also trying some cheap capacitor replacements would bring a large improvement in the sound, "Ansar supersound" with a little work and patience and helpful wammers them tannoys will be singing in no time

woops!!!!!!

So as a reference I used to use a rotel 965 cd (I replaced that with the teac last month) with rotel 930ax pre (my pre/power combo is definitely a bit better) into jpw sonatas on linn Kan stands. They were about the same distance apart and the seat was about the same but in a much smaller room - 13x15 as opposed 25x35. The rotel/jpw combo images extremely well.

I think the reflections thing is well worth a look - my room is hard and lively.

I'll try fiddling with the toe in again - need a couple of volunteers to move the speakers whilst I sit comfortably and assess the change ;-)

I had a pair of Cheviots for a few years some time back and although I enjoyed them very much, they were sensitive to amplifier changes, imaging in particular. A Pathos Logos (which worked really well with less sensitive speakers), sounded a little dull; I preferred a Cyrus One - neither combination sounded bad but both were two dimensional. There was a great synergy with a Cary CAD300sei (LX20 and WE 300b variations), imaging and scale being greatly improved. I don't know whether you have access to any different amps just to check whether this might be the key?

FWIW I used the speakers about 5 feet apart, 2 feet from back and side walls toed in so the driver axis crossed over just behind my head and I always kept the roll-off/energy controls on 'level' and found that they responded well to a bit of volume

Working Tannoys suitably installed/maintained are IMO/FME as good transducers as anything.

I'll try fiddling with the toe in again - need a couple of volunteers to move the speakers whilst I sit comfortably and assess the change ;-)

I am not far away if you need a volunteer :^

Well Andy kindly came to visit last week. And we moved nowt ! We did, however, listen to some tunes and chew the fat. Thanks Andy.

Tonight, I did move the speakers - flat against the back wall with about 3" behind them. Certainly different. Wider soundstage, not sure it's kept the pinpoint central image but it's bumped the bass a tad too.... Will have to try it for a while.

Hi,im new to this and not sure how to post so Ive just jumped in here.I have a pair of lancaster 15s and was thinking of using them for a project.I have a5x3m room and wondered what would be the optimum size cabinet for that space.It is only used as a music room so the speakers can be poitioned anywhere.I have also heard about crossover upgrades and would be gratefull for any information on that.My amps are audion elite 3 box 845s and I also wondered if these would work with the tannoys,many thanks Ian

Super Wammer

Ian, I have 15" Tannoys in a room a wee bit bigger than yours, they sound fine providing you listen at a moderate volume. I use a Unison research simply 4 , which is 22watts a channel.