Sign in to follow this  

Scalford 2014 is go..........

A frayed knot Mark :nup:

Her slowly removing her jumper when you brought the rack back was one of the highlights of the show. ;)

Cheered up a few old pervs in the room. Good to see you again.

Some thoughts:

- Overall, great job guys, another enjoyable day out

- Unfortunately I felt the rooms were conspiring against a number of exhibitors. I felt that a lot had either bugger all low end, or massive bass humps

- I was trying to focus upon rooms where the system was domestically acceptable, so my apologies to the home built crew, some of whom clearly had some ace kit

- Some of the vinyl being played sounded positively "tired". Are some of the systems getting to that point of resolution capability?

And the best for me:

- The stacked 57s. Definitely the best electrostatics I've heard to date, though the aesthetics could be improved with some nicer wood. Bloody ace sound

- The Oracle/Snell combo (sorry, can't remember the amps). VERY coherrent and lovely to listen to

- The Wadia 8/15, Modright, Krell, Wilson combo. IMO the most revealing system of the show with transparency to die for. VERY VERY impressive

- The Modright transporter into a pair of fairly ancient Meridian DSP6000s. For me, the best overall sound of the show. Just effortless in their presentation and VERY natural. I wouldn't mind, but from talking with the owner, MRC wasn't even in use, so there could have been further improvements in that area.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
Her slowly removing her jumper when you brought the rack back was one of the highlights of the show. ;)

Cheered up a few old pervs in the room. Good to see you again.

Not sure what to say to that :D

Thanks again for the Rack, the glass one.....

So pleased I took today off, my back and arms are knackered :doh:

Fuck me you almost squeezed a couple of little positives in there amongst

the abundance of negatives there Mike.:doh::off:

Well worded sir, a sight more polite than many would have managed.

Fuck me you almost squeezed a couple of little positives in there amongst

the abundance of negatives there Mike.:doh::off:

More politley put than I did. I reported my post for sweariness.

More politley put than I did. I reported my post for sweariness.

You are a bad man. Consider yourself reprimanded. :off:

You are a bad man. Consider yourself reprimanded. :off:

I feel full of sweariness this morning. I shall stay away from the keyboard for a bit.

Well worded sir, a sight more polite than many would have managed.

That's me for one, cheeky bar steward - does he even pay his subs?

A great day, a lot of good company, interesting sounds, as always I learned a lot as I wandered around. My son enjoyed himself as well, and has (unfortunately) now decided the kind of sound he wants his system to be capable of. It is not going to be cheap. :doh:

BTW Reel-to reel rules, if you know what I mean. ;-) (I just thought I might Lodge that comment)

Thanks to all the exhibitors, especially those who let me play my own selection of Drum 'n' bass and Jungle that I brought with me.

I was totally entranced by the Audio Note J speakers with the Audio Note amps/DAC - I really hadn't expected them to "rock" as much as they did, I have never heard my Chase and Status CD sound so good. My Mrs and I came out of that room with her asking where can we get some of those speakers! and later asked me where we can buy some of those lightbulbs! (translation: valve amps) :-)

Super Wammer

Ok guys, enough!

The show was a great advert for the Wam but your dragging it down now!

• Upvote 1

I am sure every body will take your feedback on board.

Your editing duties didn't go unnoticed Mr PB.

Good to know someone's on watch.

Ok guys, enough!

The show was a great advert for the Wam but your dragging it down now!

Yeh, what a complete train wreck of a weekend.

Only 50 rooms.

Just about every means of reproducing music known to man.

A gargantuan effort by everyone involved.

Visitor numbers up.

And a serious amount of money raised for charity.

Don't know why we bother.

I must make an effort to be there on Sunday next year, maybe even book a room and drag my sorry looking lot down there for a day out. What I heard on Saturday was limited, but excellent.

I can sympathise with everyone regarding the aches too. I move and use heavy stuff for a living, but I'm aching like a good un today. I think Jim's speakers might have had something to do with it.:D

It's a tall order to take a system into a strange room with no furniture, different dimensions, noisy neighbours, doors opening and closing all day, and get it working to a pleasing standard. It's even more challenging just to physically move a lot of the things on show, so there really is no place for any kind of negative comments from anyone.

It's worth remembering that the exhibitors (the private ones at least) have no vested interest in doing so, and paying out a decent lump of cash and lugging their systems from all over the country for a bunch of enthusiasts to listen to.

Some rooms weren't ideal for the system in them, but every effort was made to make the best of a bad situation by all.

If there are those here with negative thoughts about the day, my suggestion is that you make them public, book your own room for next year and show us all how it should be done.

In other words, put your money where your mouth is.

• Upvote 1