SCALFORD DATES ANNOUNCEMENT

CONFIRMED DATES FOR SCALFORD - March 17th & 18th 2018

barneys dad

Scalford 2014 is go..........

419 posts in this topic

Super Mod
for us poor souls who hasn't been there, would anyone care to comment the sound of that klipsch belles DIY version with lovely elipsoid mid horn carved in a plywood. i think i've seen some airtight 211 next to them glowing so i assume they had a decent amplification at least...

Had a Dusty in Memphis bake off through these.

My Philips 1st pressing & their 45rpm 2 disc album.

They sounded very diffrent (in a good way) and it was a split decission as to which was best (the truth being original 1st pressings are THE BEST, end of)

But in answer to your question, aesthetically & aurally this room was verrrry impressive.

Had a great day yesterday. Picked a few rooms to spend a bit of time in rather than rushing around which worked well. I must have been lucky as it seemed a bit quieter than last year to me....

Standouts for me were the mad coco horns - led zep at 9.30 ish Sunday morning was cracking. Steves AN setup was mad as usual... The prodigy never sounded so good :evil:

Rjs's horns showed potential but had too much bass in that room - thanks for playing my dodgy MOR billy Joel :-)

Roll on 2015.... I'll bring my headphones ;-p

As I don't this they've been mentioned yet, I thought rjs's FP15 horns sounded really nice. It's a shame there was some mid-bass boom, but Syndicate 11 is notorious for that and overall they showed some great promise.

I didn't get to hear everything, but I don't think i came across a bad room this year and there was some drooltastic kit on display - Meitner DACs, BAT power amps, Shindo, Audio Note, Io Ltds, Motus.

Goyjous.

Super Mod

Thanks to Mark for taxi-ing four of the largest and heaviest wammers to the curry and back in his tiny 3-series. :^

The show gets better every year - well done to all involved.

I managed to visit more rooms this year but still failed to get round them all :doh:

I wandered in to Russ Abbott's room first - I have heard Stu's system before in a smaller room and it just works. For me it epitomises the Wam, there is a mix of DIY, analogue, digital, something old, something new, something borrowed even something blue :whistle: The stars are the DIY speakers made by Jack of BD Audio back when he was just an amateur - they have to be the best bargain buy from the Wam classifieds :^

This system is the Viv Richards of hifi - you can run in all day trying to bowl it out and it just smacks it back over your head for six, with a smile and a bit of swagger.

Was it the best sound of the show ....... maybe, maybe not ............. who cares :)

There are too many rooms to mention but some that spring to mind :-

The Yello room - great fun and loved the concept of a themed room.

Serge's quadrophonic room - my first experience of this and again it was great fun. Sounded good too :^

Beauty and the Beast - really good vibe in there. The old analogue / valves vs digital / solid state but in a fun way. In the end the love of music shone through and no one really cared.

Myrman - Zingalis and free muffins ... what's not to like :)

BMTell - Zingalis and John Martyn ... what's not to like. Absence of free muffins was noted though ;-)

RMSShipbroker / Setting Son - black and gold magic - even the Foo Fighters sounded great

SCIDB - Dean - infectious love of music in this room and the system just bounces along - need to dig out my old Buddy Holly records

Brumjam - finally got to hear the Primes and they didn't disappoint - look even better in the flesh :love:

Paul55 - Jimi Hendrix on those stacked Quads is probably the most exciting thing I have heard on a hifi system :shock:

JVS - Emiliana Torrini sounded like perfection, not sure where you go from here ...... apart from down to the record shop

Purite North - Mary Gauthier sounded lovely on those dinky AE standmounts, very high WAF with this system :whistle:

There was so much more ... Snells, Lampizator, Shindo amps, vintage tape decks etc etc

Can't wait for 2015 .......... I need to pluck up the courage to exhibit.

Super Wammer

Great show again, thanks to everyone.

Highlights for me were all the DIY exhibitors,

Orangeheart: Enjoyed a great chat about FIR filters and the wonders of DSP while enjoying his excellent sounding speakers.

Mikhail0115: Fantastic looking and energetic sounding DIY speakers.

steve57: Great to hear his larger open baffle speakers this year, room filling sound.

Non-Smoking Man: Enormous, uncompromising, great fun.

I should coco et al: For something so hastily put together, superb sound, I love those AE drivers.

Bornin50: Love the modified Lencos.

Non DIY

Lodgesound: What can I say, I love the BBC sound and this is the ultimate demonstration of it.

Bmtell: Sp10 and the Zingalli speakers sounding great.

Sligolad: Fantastic quad esl63s and put up with my music.

CarlBkk: Wilson and krell can do no wrong.

Paul55: Stacked Quads!

Rmsshipbroker, Take5: Snells.

Harv: Loved the focals and the big amps.

Missed a few rooms, really wanted to listen to RJS's FP15 horns, but forgot.

Well done all, and thanks again.

Super Wammer
Can't wait for 2015 .......... I need to pluck up the courage to exhibit.

Do IT !

It was my first year exhibiting , I enjoyed it and received some favorable comments ;-)

Super Wammer
Thanks to all the exhibitors, especially those who let me play my own selection of Drum 'n' bass and Jungle that I brought with me.

Thanks for bringing it and letting me play it.

It's on my shopping list. :^

Super Wammer

Another awesome show - I had an amazing time on both Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday.

So many people to thank: Jack and Rick for helping me unload my kit, Keith and Jane for room-sitting for me (in fact a huge thanks to everyone who gave up their time to room sit as it makes it so much easier for us exhibitors on the day) and Rob and Steve for helping me pack up. Another thanks to Jane for the delicous choccy cake as well - kept a lot of us going through the day. Thanks to James and all the mods for organising the bloody thing and the staff at Scalford for their patience and friendliness. Jim, thanks so much for the pies!

Steve, thanks for organising the curry night - it was ace.

I only had an hour out of my room on Sunday so could spend about a minute in as many rooms as possible so my impressions are probably not fair and I didnt get to quite a few room however here are my standouts:

JVS: Stunning sound, suprisingly deep and powerful bass with very sweet treble.

CarlBKK: Excellent clarity and soundstaging with very good depth.

Bmtell: Never heard Zingalis before but can see why they are so popular - they are probably the best looking standmounts ive ever seen and just sound right

Coco/Hayward/AmDismal: just wow! Huge sound from a very impressive array of kit and well done on the DIY parts!!

Gromit: great sounds from such small speakers - not sure what they were as it looked like the 2010i's were sitting on the floor unused?

Sligolad: ESL63s sounding superb with very nice bass for 'statics

RJS: very listenable - well done for a first timer!

SCIDB: awesome as always

Coogie: first Dali's I'd heard and I liked them.

Steelhull and DMA: Very impressed with Skylines

Purite North: Didnt need long in this room to tell that the AE Refs on the end of Puresound amps are cabale of stunning sonics - no wonder the room was bloody rammed!

Paul55: Stacked Quads were stunning - they integrated seemlessly and sounded superb

RMSshipbroker: Audio note kit proving once again that it will sound gorgeous in any room

Hoopontoast: awesome sound from vintage speakers and his Zen

RJC Audio and Simon Mears Audio: could have spent a long time in this room just drooling of the stunning cabinetry/craftmanship let alone the sound! So immediate and effortless - great job guys!

Super Wammer
Best year so far for people bringing there own music.:^

This.

Really pleased that people are actually starting to ask for music to be played.

This.

Really pleased that people are actually starting to ask for music to be played.

+2.

It's only taken 6 years, well done guys:^:D

Another very tiring but fantastic event. I was bolloxed by the time I arrived home and I was only walking around and having a listen. God only knows what some of the exhibitors felt like by the end of the day. A trememdous effort by all concerned and many thanks. Last week I visited and enjoyed the Bristol show but Scalford is in a different league, a real entertainment and education.

There was something to be enjoyed in all the rooms. In no particular order is some which stuck out in my memory and apologies to those I have missed out, there wasn't a bad un amongst them.

Non Smoking Man, bloody great horns but sounding so detailed and musical even at low volumes, amazing.

CarlBkk loud and proud just like it should be.

Gromit Done it again. Went in a couple of times as the music wasn't to my liking the first time but the second and third visit showed off some great sounds. How does he do it?

Bmtell Good sound in there. Good demo and info given on DS AntiMode, very interesting. He's not too bad for a sometime grumpy bugger on the Wam:D

Sligolad What a lovely easy sound those ESL63's are. I want some and I want them now, I could live with those if I had the space for them.

RJS and his good lady. I'm glad I made the effort to get in as it was packed on two visits to the room. I struck lucky on my third attempt. Lovely speakers and I am becoming a fan of those MingDa's.

SCIDB Always playing good music and those Snells have some weft.

Coogie and his sauna room. Lots of valves and a very easy relaxing sound. I could live with that sound but maybe not the heat! MingDa's again:love:

Pluto Speakers for daring to be different and sounding good.

Lodgesound Engrossing sound. Even made Phil Collins sound good last year, none of he who shouldn't be named this year.

Harv said he was struggling with the room this year. Nevermind I really enjoyed it as did quite a few more. They may need a structural engineer in after the James Blake though.

OnlyConnect How cruel can a man be? Pitching a recently serviced Naim 32.5, Hicap and NAP250 against a paltry Yamaha £250 integrated. Not much difference but the Yamaha had the edge. Don't tell Serge, he'll never shut up.

Dudywoxer A good coherent easy sound from his setup again.

Hoops on Toast I liked those speakers in there.

Paulf-2007 and ParcelMonkey Those El 63's again. Good setup in there and it all fitted together very well. Seriously good.

SergeAuckland Great Quadrophonic set up. Old studio deck and some fancy analogue jiggery pokery.

AiredAudio I went to listen to the Jolida dac and it was doing well until he played the Fusion Cd player with integrated dac. So much better but how far can you go?

Sunbeamgls Loved the setup in there, inspired. A real experience.

Apologies to any I've missed out, its all I can remember for now.

Super Wammer
Had a great day yesterday. Picked a few rooms to spend a bit of time in rather than rushing around which worked well. I must have been lucky as it seemed a bit quieter than last year to me....

Standouts for me were the mad coco horns - led zep at 9.30 ish Sunday morning was cracking. Steves AN setup was mad as usual... The prodigy never sounded so good :evil:

Rjs's horns showed potential but had too much bass in that room - thanks for playing my dodgy MOR billy Joel :-)

Roll on 2015.... I'll bring my headphones ;-p

Good to see you again Paul

I must admit I nearly didn't go down the Audio Note route as, of course, it's only good for jazz. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Colin just trying to dispell the rumour that I'm

as subtle as a house brick:whistle:

You're not that bad mate.

Now, a rubber coated house brick.....

Super Wammer
A huge thank you to all the people who organised the show and to all the exhibitors. It was another great show and I enjoyed it immensely. I must say no other seven hours of my life passed so quickly!

Great to see you again Chris and listen to some "real" music with you!:D Still fnd it hard to believe you travel all the way from Poland just to attend - huge props for that! Dont forget to PM me with the details of the Polish bands we discussed.