Sign in to follow this  
PARAGON

Altmann BYOB amplifier

i can remember reading somewhere that battery power isn't as great as it's cracked up to be - something to do with the batteries temperature when in use fluctuating causing massive amounts of 'noise' in the supply - think it was in connection with a naim hi-cap replacement based on a battery if anyone wants to bother searching for it.

for me this would be totally impractical anyway. i like my bassy music and high volume levels - even though my speakers are 92db/w/m efficient they would probably be too much for 10w. also its fugly, a car battery in the open would be dangerous (and fugly) and the whole 'specially treated wood' smacks of audiophillia insania which i object to.

to top it off spending that much on that little irks me - it might be the best sounding amp in the world but it'd never make my shortlist for the above reasons.

PARAGON wrote:

Sgt.Pepper wrote:
No offence m8 but have you been sniffing the glue instead of sticking bits of wood together ? hehe,soz.

are you a vampire or summat? you never sleep? lol...

:P

Component count means nothing....sound quality means everything no?

I guess is depends what component (hifi component, I mean) we're talking about, it seems that prejudice plays a large part -people do seem to be prepared to pay obscene amounts for their bling boxes full of air, but cry foul when similar components are sold without the bling box so that you can see what you are getting.

N.B. IMO, the Altmann *is* poor material VFM - that doesn't of course preclude it being a bargain on sonic grounds.

As I said, the Altman is not good material value for money.

There are plenty of examples of boxes of fresh air on the internet. Make sure youcompare like with like - only the actual power amp board, because that's all the Altman purports to be.

Here's an MF superchager, the power amp stage doesn't have exactly loads of components - 6 transistors and a handful of resistors it looks like.

given the prejudices, it's less of a crime to have a 20kg box full of nothing for 5-20x more money than a spruce board or a small box with a few of them.

but fine with me, i know what i prefer.

speaking of that, trends TA-10 is another product that deserves a hype. if it would be repacked into a huge box, you could test it against any top mainstream amp on high eff speakers, no one would notice what it really is.

Just come across this. It appears that Brexit has hit this product VERY hard. It's currently at 8200 Euro. 

Two please...