The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Paul Graham

Rega Owners Club

I think ATC are superb speakers but they really need a high current delivery or they can sound poor. With the right amp match, they deliver sublime performance.

• Like 2

thanks all.. look like i have to choose either ATC or stay with Rega.

Any one can share their experience with ProArc studio 118, KEF R3 or Emit M20

Best to put this in separate proac , kef and dynaudio owners threads . Lots of love for proac and some superb bargains around   

On 31/12/2018 at 16:29, mattykyuss said:

Had both Elex r with atc scm 11 v2.Found the atc needed more watts.voltage to get going.Added a Primare a34.2 power amp,using the elex r as a pre amp.The added power gave the atc,s more grunt and bass.But the elex r on its own without the Primare, sounded better,if lacking a little power for the speakers.

On 02/01/2019 at 02:41, hifinutt said:

Best to put this in separate proac , kef and dynaudio owners threads . Lots of love for proac and some superb bargains around   

Couldn't be stop me to hear the superb sound from rega elex r..it drives every note with full emotion,have tried a few amp they have a power but lack fun musical rhythm. 

Elex r very special amp

10 minutes ago, Fazz said:

Couldn't be stop me to hear the superb sound from rega elex r..it drives every note with full emotion,have tried a few amp they have a power but lack fun musical rhythm. 

Elex r very special amp

With better matching speakers the elex r is very good, TRUE.

I am most impressed with my Elex-R.. I’ve had a few sub £1000 integrated amps over the years and this is the best by far... more impressively is the RX-3s it’s partnered with.. these are no RS3 and sound incredibly balanced and handle pretty much anything you throw at them.. control is their main credit and listening last night through my CXN playing 70’s random music, they sounded fantastic with extremely controlled bass and imaging.. 

like I said, nothing like the RS3’s and imo three times better 

Posted (edited)

I only have 16-bit lossless classical music files. I am interested in purchasing a Rega turntable. I would like to know which Rega cartridge/turntable/phono preamp combination that has comparable resolution to the Rega DAC-R played with 16-bit lossless files?

Edited by tep56

By 16 bit lossless I take it you mean ripped cd quality rather than anything higher quality?  I've never heard the question put that way, as in analogue resolution compared to digital.  As the resolution of analogue sources is discussed, it is a not necessarily an invalid question but the answer is likely to be more subjective than measurable. I don't know the answer, but personally I would put musicality above raw resolution in the measurable sense. Equally many don't like the most resolving dacs, but if you have tried a few then you'll know what you prefer.

Super Wammer

Quick question guys, has anyone got an opinion on the Elicit (Mk2) phonostage?

I've just bought an Elicit Mk2 with the built in MM stage, although at the moment, I have the P9/Ania combo so would need an SUT.

I've a Ray Samuels Nighthawk phonostage which I am really happy with so far, just pondering if the Elicit stays long term, if it would be worth upgrading the built in one to the MC version?

I wonder how the following options might compare:

• Elicit w/MM Stage and an SUT
  • Elicit w/MC stage upgrade
  • Elicit with Fono MC
  • Elicit with Nighthawk

Half planning a simple long term system, when my R9 speakers come back from loan with a mate, with a CDP TBC:

• P9/Ania
  • Some CDP
  • Elicit
  • R9

10 hours ago, HoopsOnToast said:

Quick question guys, has anyone got an opinion on the Elicit (Mk2) phonostage?

I've just bought an Elicit Mk2 with the built in MM stage, although at the moment, I have the P9/Ania combo so would need an SUT.

I've a Ray Samuels Nighthawk phonostage which I am really happy with so far, just pondering if the Elicit stays long term, if it would be worth upgrading the built in one to the MC version?

I wonder how the following options might compare:

• Elicit w/MM Stage and an SUT
  • Elicit w/MC stage upgrade
  • Elicit with Fono MC
  • Elicit with Nighthawk

Half planning a simple long term system, when my R9 speakers come back from loan with a mate, with a CDP TBC:

• P9/Ania
  • Some CDP
  • Elicit
  • R9

I would personally spend on a separate phonostage. The Ania deserves it. The built in one is only equivalent to the standalone £220 model, as good as it is, the Ania can take a better stage 

On 07/07/2019 at 00:29, Lawrence001 said:

By 16 bit lossless I take it you mean ripped cd quality rather than anything higher quality?  I've never heard the question put that way, as in analogue resolution compared to digital.  As the resolution of analogue sources is discussed, it is a not necessarily an invalid question but the answer is likely to be more subjective than measurable. I don't know the answer, but personally I would put musicality above raw resolution in the measurable sense. Equally many don't like the most resolving dacs, but if you have tried a few then you'll know what you prefer.

I am using 16-bit FLAC files downloaded from websites. I am interested in what is audibly comparable not necessarily measurably comparable.

On 07/07/2019 at 03:43, tep56 said:

I would like to know which Rega cartridge/turntable/phono preamp combination that has comparable resolution to the Rega DAC-R played with 16-bit lossless files?

As Lawrence has said there is no answer to that , it really is suck it and see if you like the sound of the analogue combination your wallet can afford . I personally can't see the point of trying to get a T/T to sound like a CD/Digital file .

Posted (edited)
On 09/07/2019 at 04:31, Bazzer said:

As Lawrence has said there is no answer to that , it really is suck it and see if you like the sound of the analogue combination your wallet can afford . I personally can't see the point of trying to get a T/T to sound like a CD/Digital file .

I am not interested in a Rega turntable that is lower than natural resolution. If I am sitting in the front row in a modern concert hall and I am listening to a symphony orchestra, that is the resolution I desire. For me 16-bit obtains this natural resolution or at least gets it close. Any resolution that is more or less is unnatural. Just my opinion.

Edited by tep56

On 07/07/2019 at 03:43, tep56 said:

I only have 16-bit lossless classical music files. I am interested in purchasing a Rega turntable. I would like to know which Rega cartridge/turntable/phono preamp combination that has comparable resolution to the Rega DAC-R played with 16-bit lossless files?

It depends on the budget you have. I would say to get long term satisfaction from your purchase a P3, or better a P6. From a number of years playing around with carts, I would suggest a AT cart, the AT33tpg to me seems to offer the best value in terms of bang for buck, which means a decent quality phono stage,  The aria is the obvious choice, but the Rothwell Rialto and edwards audio MC1 are worthy of consideration. If you are prepared to spend more then the choice obviously widens.

Super Wammer
On 12/07/2019 at 07:09, tep56 said:

I am not interested in a Rega turntable that is lower than natural resolution. If I am sitting in the front row in a modern concert hall and I am listening to a symphony orchestra, that is the resolution I desire. For me 16-bit obtains this natural resolution or at least gets it close. Any resolution that is more or less is unnatural. Just my opinion.

Resolution of 16 bits would be measured by the noise floor, and sitting where you describe you might not achieve that, because of stage noises, fidgeting audiences etc.  I think using a technical term when you may mean ‘clarity’ or ‘detail’ maybe is potentially confusing. 

More resolution by definition cannot be unnatural, but again I suspect you are thinking of recordings which highlight details we rarely hear in a live concert. And you feel they’re not accurate.  

Technically a record player will struggle to compete with digital files, but as you know, many listeners swear the effect is more lifelike to them. I second the suggestion to get a suitable demo.  

• Upvote 1