Paul Graham

Rega Owners Club

Thought I would try and contribute to the forums a bit and start an owners club or two.

Since buying my Planar 3 Ive been very impressed with it.

So far Ive added the RB300 and some bigger feet, everything else is still stock for now but Im

looking at some upgrades fairly soon including the sub-platter, dampening and a re-cable by my friend Frank who owns Toxic Cables.

So who else here is a happy Rega owner?

Pics, Tips, Mods etc all welcome! :)

Heres mine as it stands for now...

LL

LL

Just to be pedantic, thats a Planner 3,not a RP 3, and if you have installed a RB300, I assume it came without arm, or with a 200. I would check what motor it has fitted, and if it is the type held in place by rubber bands, sort that first. Then the subplatter. If you replace the subplatter what do you intend damping?

Having owned and modded a planner 2 a couple os 3's and a 25, I would suggest you total up what you intend spending on the mods, as the total spent can far outweigh the improvements.

Just to be pedantic, it's a Planar 3 not a Planner 3. ;)

Colin has never come that far down the Rega tree so he can be excused :P

Whichever, its one of them, and not a RP, its a string of plastic polo's and a 303 missing.

Whichever, its one of them, and not a RP

Yep, I think Paul could ask for the thread title to be changed to cover all.

True, I have never owned a RP anything. Just a planar 2, 3, P25 and P9.

Can a Mod change this to Rega Turntable Owners please?

And sorry folks, Its a force of habit, The RP thing lol.

The Table came without an arm, At first I had the R200 fitted but have now upgraded to the RB300.

image_zps845e3d2e.jpg

image_zps930d57f2.jpg

image_zps3380fb49.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image_zps24a65c3f.jpg

Top three upgrades IMO:

- Rega low vibration motor. The original 240v version is fine but the latest 24v version would also be a good upgrade. Noticeably improves stability and gets a bit more torque on the platter. Both attach to the plinth via a firm adhesive pad and dispense with the O-ring suspension.

- White belt, effect as above and a no-brainer for £20.

- Denon DL110. These are made for the RB arms and sound terrific on Planar 3/RB300.

Rega think their designs from top to bottom. They don't include squishy feet, spikes, acrylic platters and dc motors for good reason - not cost related or accident.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any "insider" information regarding the design of Rega speakers.

I am a very pleased RS5 owner, and I know most Rega products are made in house, it just seems unusual to have all those skills under one roof.Many larger companies shy away from the complete suite, eg Deck/Arm/Amp/CD/Speakers etc. I wonder if Rega employ some external help in the form of a consultant/University to assist with thier products. (Perhaps its secret).

If you look at thier speakers, many companies "Buy-in" the drivers and use anechoic chambers to tune the design. If you look at the RS5 its quite a complex design with a comb filter halfway down the cabinet and the RS7 is a transmission line where the port exits alongside the bass unit. The RS10 is also quite unique (and very expensive)with the BMR radiator which is used by just a few manufacturers.

Well done Rega, it just amazing how so few people can manufacture such a range of products.

Don't know much about the newer ranges but I miss the old Ela.

Lovely things and able to squeeze impressively well controlled low bass from that little woofer.

Most designs attempting similar end up sounding quite foggy and bloated but the Ela had it cracked.

Don't know much about the newer ranges but I miss the old Ela.

Lovely things and able to squeeze impressively well controlled low bass from that little woofer.

Most designs attempting similar end up sounding quite foggy and bloated but the Ela had it cracked.

Agree, my first ever 'proper' speaker. Lovely things.

my mate had a pair of El8's on an Arcam alpha fed by an original Planet, fantastic sounding system for not a lot. I have a Planar 2 which I still think is fantastic value for money and an excellent example of elegant engineering (cor, that's a mouthfull...).

Super Wammer

2nd TT at the moment is an old Plannar 3 fitted with a Michell Technoarm and a Goldring Excel M/C cartridge. I have put on a new grey felt mat and a red belt from an ebay supplier. Sounds rather good I have to say! Will be transplanting the arm to my Little Pink Thing soon to compare the 2 decks.