hifinutt

Bel canto thread

BC stuff is pretty reliable , not heard much about any problems , ian r on here was selling one recently 

https://www.rdhworld.co.uk/cu_arch/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18503&sid=e708f160bb58a85f4f9ae10e24eed591

however i did find this vid 

there is a chap on pfm selling a barely used cd2 and lns1 for 1000 euro`s which is a brilliant price . i had one and it was superb except it was top loading but i used it very well for ages 

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/high-quality-cd-transport.230884/

Hello!  Does anyone know the exact size of the DC input for the Bel Canto CD2?  Can't seem to find the info anywhere.  Thanks!  

HELP!

My BC Pre3 with LNS has just mysteriously died on me. Working perfect yesterday, turned it off from the remote last night & now it’s dead. No red light on the LNS showing, mains lead swapped for another, so it’s not that. Cables all correctly & securely inserted.

It’s too late at night  now for me to start dismantling gear.

Any history of this kind of issue with BC pre amps? 

Or any other ideas? It’s way out of warranty, & I purchased it second hand, so no dealer back up available to me.

The thought of being without it for some time does not fill me with joy!

10 hours ago, manicatel said:

Or any other ideas?

If you can't fix it yourself I'd contact Tony at Coherent Systems:

https://www.coherent-systems.co.uk/

Edited by MartinC

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, manicatel said:

HELP!

My BC Pre3 with LNS has just mysteriously died on me. Working perfect yesterday, turned it off from the remote last night & now it’s dead. No red light on the LNS showing, mains lead swapped for another, so it’s not that. Cables all correctly & securely inserted.

Or any other ideas? It’s way out of warranty, & I purchased it second hand, so no dealer back up available to me.

There maybe an internal fuse.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, manicatel said:

HELP!

yes my vbs1 died after 6 years of use . despite 3 lots of attempted repair at a cost of 300 pounds its now defunct ,now unused .   Firebottle made me a nice replacement for my vbs1 which i use with the pre 3 . he will need the cable though to make you one 

so 2 options 

send it for repair to the bc repairers at loud and clear 

Hubert Aniolek

or probably better , get firebottle to make you a new one or even look at the lns1 

this is the one he made me and my pre 3 sounds pretty good i must say 

48195161241_f71a30b8ec_z.jpgP1060657 by , on Flickr

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm not someone who wields a soldering iron that often, so if it needs any more than an internal fuse replacement ( assuming there is one in there?), I would get it repaired if possible by a pro.

Or look at replacing it.... what’s the ball park price of a fire bottle clone of an lns1?

Theres a vbs1 on the bay for £550, but it’s a bit more than I want to spend at this time of year & also which is better, the vbs1 or the lns1?

2nd hand hi fi had one for 499 but seems to have gone . under 100 quid from FB for a lns1 clone , he is super vfm 

the vbs1 is better than the lns1 but given my problems in repairing them when they go wrong i am a bit nervous . 

• Like 1

Once again, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

If a FB clone is anywhere near the £100 mark, that’s superb vfm. A repair by a pro would surely be half of that, if not more.

I’ve PM’d him on TAOS forum for more info.

• Like 1

Well it’s not the internal fuse.

Yes there is one & that got my hopes up it would simply be that, but no. The replacement blew straight away. Oh well.

I spoke to a very helpful BC Dealer but he didn’t have a replacement PS suitable for the Pre3vb.

He suggested contacting the UK distributor, who again were helpful but with no stock of VBS or LNS1 units. Understandable, as it’s now pretty old.

An engineer will be collecting it tomorrow for investigation.

Ive not yet had any response from Firebottle about building a clone unit.

As much as I rate the Bel Canto stuff, I may have to consider options if it’s not repairable. 

Theres a BC vbs1 on the bay, but as it’s 2nd hand & equally old, maybe I’d just be buying more potential issues?

I’d want/need a fairly nice quality Preamp with 1 balanced input & balanced outputs to connect to my ATC scm40a’s.

Maybe a Hegel p20? That might be even better than the Bel Canto? It’s More than I want to spend, but.................

just wait for FB , he takes a while sometimes . he will sort you out . the pre 3vbs takes a lot of beating for the money . i personally will not risk a used vbs1 anymore but there are others who make psu`s for these products . i have seen them used with them 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

there is a bel canto pre amp/dac that we hear very little about . its the E1x . has anyone used one or can comment , from the blurb 

the new e1X line incorporates many ground-breaking designs from the Black series. Each e1X component is designed with great attention to detail, focusing on our unique input approach, DAC core performance and power amplifier technologies that optimize and maintain the purest signal quality. Built in a constrained layer damped chassis with high-grade aluminum defines the simple and elegant look.

http://www.belcantodesign.com/pdfs/e1X one sheet 2019.pdf

the pre amp is 6100 pounds 

and a integrated too 

https://www.thelittleaudiocompany.co.uk/bel-canto-e1x-integrated-amplifier

he new e1X line incorporates many ground-breaking designs from the Black series. Each e1X component is designed with great attention to detail, focusing on our unique input approach, DAC core performance and power amplifier technologies that optimize and maintain the purest signal quality. Built in a constrained layer damped chassis with high-grade aluminum defines the simple and elegant look.

Edited by hifinutt