hifinutt

Bel canto thread

Thanks to hifinutt for the link . Has a anyone got experience  of the stream . I just added the 2.7 dac to my system and am very pleased with it . I am particularly  interested  in how it works with the bubble  app .I currently use a bluesound node 

• Like 1

just in case anyone needed to know . Loud and clear are uk repair agents for bel canto distribitor padood . 

Long shot I know, but I'm thinking about getting a BC Pre 3vbs to use as a Pre along with ATC SCM40a speakers. The Pre 3 seems to be at a very good price 2nd hand.

Does anyone here have experience of this Preamp?

I demoed the ATC CA2 pre, but felt it was a bit too upfront for comfort & the alternative the dealer suggested was over my budget.

Opinions on this preamp?

I never forget how my mfa passive trounced my beloved pre 3 , then they bought out the vbs version and that was much better. A smooth , highly capable pre amp with lots of connections and 200 vol th control . Had some good service too recently from bc engineers with a repair to another component 

Posted (edited)

Just wondering whether I am the only "valve" Bel Canto user on here. I have gone through the thread and found no mention at all of valves?

Edited by Andy831

As my new ATC scm40A's have recently arrived, I've just started using my recently purchased 2nd hand Pre3vbs.

Wow, what a lovely combination it makes. Seriously impressed with the Pre3. Smooth yet detailed, no hint of any nastiness at all.

At this rate, I'd be interested in what the DAC & Phono Stage sound like as well, to potentially give me an all BC system rather than my current mix/match set up of Jolida DAC & Audio Research phono stage.

Just got to work out what all the different display messages mean now.

So glad it's sounding good , still got the 3.5 here ready , it's very very good 

7 hours ago, Andy831 said:

Just wondering whether I am the only "valve" Bel Canto user on here. I have gone through the thread and found no mention at all of valves?

Gosh been using bel canto for years and never knew they did valves , what was that then ?

I am no expert on Bel Canto but my understanding is that either the owner or the designer has a passion for valves and they built to order both the Set 40 power amp and a pair of Set 80 Monoblock's which use the same chassis but two rather than the single chassis of my Set 40.

The amp uses a pair of 211 output valves giving approx. 40  watts a side although I understand at 40watt output they were unreliable and they started to wind down the output to about 35 watts a side.

I have owned mine for over 5 years and have never felt to urge or need to change.592729-bel_canto_set_40_845_single_ended_amplifier.thumb.jpg.d7c9e48ab9469c62da44988a8a69687b.jpg 

• Like 1

As a recent convert to Bel Canto, a quick question for you with more experience of the brand if I may.........

Is there a significant advantage connecting my DAC3 to my Pre3 vbs using xlr balanced cables? Presently I’m using some Audioquest Water rca leads which are pretty decent quality.

Before I take the plunge & buy some balanced xlr’s I thought I’d see what the opinion is here.

The Pre is xlr’d out to my active ATC speakers.

Whats the thoughts here?

I would say yes , it is better with xlr . its worth trying and those audioquest are super i am sure . there is more output as well from xlr 

I try to connect mine with xlr if i can 

from the pre 3 manual 

Fully balanced XLR outputs for optimum interface with the power amplifier

from the dac manual [3.5] 

XLR 5.5Vrms or 7. RCA 2.75Vrms outputs are used for directly driving a power amplifier in variable output mode or a preamplifier input when in fixed output mode.

Thanks Phil.

I’m halfway there anyway as the ATC’s are XLR’d to the Pre3. I guess I may have to borrow or buy some cheap XLR interconnects for the DAC-Pre & see for myself. Maybe the greater output via xlr may help with lower volume level listening? 

Trying these kind of options out is all part of the fun!

41 minutes ago, manicatel said:

Thanks Phil.

I’m halfway there anyway as the ATC’s are XLR’d to the Pre3. I guess I may have to borrow or buy some cheap XLR interconnects for the DAC-Pre & see for myself. Maybe the greater output via xlr may help with lower volume level listening? 

Trying these kind of options out is all part of the fun!

The following article may be of interest, explaining why there are at least theoretically benefits to using balanced connections:

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/balanced-vs-unbalanced-analog-interfaces

Personally I'd use a balanced connection if it's available but don't go crazy buying expensive XLR leads. Something like these should be absolutely all you need:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme-STARQUAD-Microphone-Cables-Neutrik-XLR-to-XLR-PRO-Balanced-Leads/282215887582?hash=item41b560b2de:m:mwKcigivlZingjSZe0DBYHg

Having said all that, I've never actually tried comparing the XLR and RCA inputs on my power amp, although I have used both at different times.

Anyone know of reliability issues with the BC cd3t?

A mate is thinking of getting one. I said I thought BC stuff was pretty reliable in general. He’s been told that the cd3t needs unplugging from the mains to soft-reboot every now & then?

whats the opinion on here?