hifinutt

Bel canto thread

I have had a few Bel Canto boxes over the years. Started with a full size pre2p pre amp with phono stage and a cd1 , I still own them pre is in the main system and cd in the office system. Also bought a set of ref 1000 / m300  then bought a evo4 from JANDL100 a few years ago, this amp smoked the ref 1000s so they were sold and now the evo4 is my back up amp as it would make no sense to sell as pound for pound I think it could not be bettered.

What do the current Bel Canto's sound like?:)

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, Tarzan said:

What do the current Bel Canto's sound like?:)

Hi Andy,

I had a Ref 150s amp until quite recently. It was the latest model with curved edges to the fascia. The sound was extremely detailed and open, almost airy. It suited me at the time as I needed something with a small physical footprint and it was not much bigger than an I Pad. If one came my way again I’d certainly consider it for my second system. I know people knock Class D for being a little hard and lifeless but, combined with a pair of old Spendor  floorstanders it worked well. If you’re short of space I’d certainly put one of their amps on your list.

Richard

Thanks for the reply Richard.:^

I have an eVo4 gen ii that I'm very happy with and have no plans to replace despite its age. I run it in stereo mode with a Densen Beat B200 pre-amp and it never sounds strained even when pushed. I've not owned other higher end power amps to compare it to though, with the only other being a much more humble Audiolab 8000P.

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:55, MartinC said:

I have an eVo4 gen ii that I'm very happy with and have no plans to replace despite its age. I run it in stereo mode with a Densen Beat B200 pre-amp and it never sounds strained even when pushed. I've not owned other higher end power amps to compare it to though, with the only other being a much more humble Audiolab 8000P.

The EVO4 is one amp l would like to listen to.:geek:

8 hours ago, Tarzan said:

The EVO4 is one amp l would like to listen to.:geek:

I'm a bit far from you or I'd say you could hear mine sometime. Although not right now as I've literally just ordered a replacement for a broken driver in my current main speakers!

must say i am very dissapointed that bel canto have stopped doing the separate psu boxes , that was so good to get it off the mains . unfortunately my vbs1 died after 6 years sadly and despite attempts to resuscitate it !!  wonder what the logic is behind relying on the mains again rather than battery supplies 

well the vbs1 is up and running although i need another one which is relatively modern [ the one in classifieds is an option perhaps] . i was going to sell my bel canto dac 3.5 vbs1 but i withdrew it and put it on the rotel cd player and it was quite an uplift . so its staying. 

may i say the one in the classifieds is a stonking buy and has a volume control too so can possibly be used as direct into speakers 

got a little bel canto pre 3 vbs in situ after downsizing from modwright to raise funds . very precise volume control and small form make it very attractive pre . currently settling in . can`t seem to get it to display home theatre bypass but as you can set each individual input to whatever volume you want this is no problem . i had one of these lent to me by the kind chap who is selling some bel canto stuff in megastore in 2011 and was impressed then 

that was before a few years of owning puresound valve , arc valve and modwright valve pre amps so be interesting how get on with an ss pre amp again . 

must say i am totally shocked at the prices of bel canto black stuff , i just looked up an integrated and it was  25k which is crazy !!!! 

Admin

Agree with the price of the BC Black kit.  Not sure how much better it would be than the standard kit, as some have commented that there's not an awful lot of difference in the components inside. 

• Like 1

the little virtual  battery powered bel canto pre 3 is sounding very good , a far cry from the digital sound from the dac pre amps they try and suggest you can use as pre amps now . very sad bc stopped doing pre amps like this . lovely organic sound and yet so transparent , easily as good as a music first pre amp classic mark 2 copper and possibly even the silver although i would have to compare side by side . the mfa pre amps are becoming quite expensive s/h now so nice to have some bargains in these bc stuff  

Super Wammer
12 hours ago, hifinutt said:

the little virtual  battery powered bel canto pre 3 is sounding very good , a far cry from the digital sound from the dac pre amps they try and suggest you can use as pre amps now . very sad bc stopped doing pre amps like this . lovely organic sound and yet so transparent , easily as good as a music first pre amp classic mark 2 copper and possibly even the silver although i would have to compare side by side . the mfa pre amps are becoming quite expensive s/h now so nice to have some bargains in these bc stuff  

Just read a few reviews of this pre, Phil. It looks to be a fine unit and as you say, at an excellent price. Enjoy, my friend.

thanks gary , its not as good as the modwright but for the money its great 

using the bel canto dac 3.5 vbs as a pre today with some little hybrid monoblocks with the big impulse speakers . actually i have tried many times to use the dac as a pre amp but always get tired of its  detailed sound but with this combo and these speakers it sounds , well flipping brilliant . because the speakers are so neutral and valve hybrid it seems to work

a friend caine has a bec dac for sale which is a better model; than mine . its well worth considering 

https://hifiwigwam.com/megastore/product/bel-canto-dac3-5vbmk2-dac-with-4d-power-cord/