hifinutt

Bel canto thread

I saw those, but in all honesty I just feel like a change, I stopped box swapping around 8 years ago when I got the g68 and the 5200s, I have gone back once before to non dsp kit but ended up with Meridian again. But I really adored the Logans and thought "let's have a bash." 

I will do a little report when I get the gear next week hopefully. 

i am sure you will be impressed with the logans

I still haven't got the Logans, but I have had the Bel Canto S300i for a week now. 

I think that is a cracking little amp, massive sound stage, seriously sweet top end and midrange and I am well pleased with it. 

At the moment I am running it with a pair of Quad S-2 ribbon speakers and a Rel sub. The speakers are also new for me, only a few weeks old, and in some ways  am preferring the set up to my Meridian G68 pre and 5200 DSP speakers, which considering that is a £11,000 combo I think speaks very highly of the little quads. 

I am now thinking about swapping the S-2 Quads for a pair of the floorstanders and getting a second Bel Canto amp. 

I am running a Raspberry Pi with a Meridian Explorer 2 dac attached to it. I will be honest and say I thought it was OK at first, but not as smooth at the MD600 endpoint/dac I was comparing it against, however, did a bit of research and everyone said buy an iFi PSU, which I did, and I am now blown away buy it. Considering it cost me £32 for the Rasberry Pi, £90 for the Dac and £49 for the PSU and it sounds as good with most stuff and better with MQA than the £1500 Meridian doing the same thing, plus I have added Airplay etc. to it, it is probably the best HiFi purchase I have ever made. I had left myself £700 odd for a DAC, so now have some spare funds hence thinking bigger speakers and another Bel Canto amp. :)

Slight change of plan! 

I ended up with some Scansonic MB2.5 speakers instead of the Logans. So running the Pi-Meridian Dac-Bel Canto-MB2.5's. 

The imaging on the Scansonics is amazing, however, even though I like a really smooth sound, I am finding them a little too dark. However, folks say they need a good 2-300 hours of running in for them to losen up, so I will give them time. I was worried they would be too bright, but they are completely the opposite to that, also can't believe the bass from them! 

I am now wondering whether to put my Meridian G68 back into the system and run them off a Bel Canto power amp, that would give me decent crossovers and room correction. 

for such a small country the Danish certainly make some lovely speakers . never heard of scansonic but they look lovely

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/scansonic-hd-mb-25-floorstanding-loudspeaker

ah I didn`t , now quite by chance I saw this thread tonight . you might be interested

http://www.audioshark.org/integrated-systems-18/integrated-amplifier-scansonic-mb-2-5-a-9917.html

Not getting on with the Scansonics at all, but think there may be an issue with them. The Quad S-2's are back in the system for now. 

I have also put the Meridian G68 pre/dac back in the rack, running that into the Bel Canto as a power amp, also been running a Net and Snook modded Quad 405-2 which is luscious. But have agreed a price on a Bel Canto power amp, so I can tuck it away behind the rack, the integrated has a power amp mode but still a pain as you need to select input 4 when you turn it on. So the S300i is up for sale to help fund the S300 power. 

The Meridian and Bel Canto sound so similar, ran them both as pre amps into the Quad 405 and both so similar. 

mmm that's not good , whats wrong with the scansonics sonically?

The ones I heard before, also on the end of a Meridian Pre with Meridian Power amp, were extremely open, with an amazing top end that sounded smooth as silk. The whole sound was open but with a real warmth and laid back feel to it, exactly my sort of sound. 

These just sound completely boxed in, almost sounds like the tweeter, which covers a large area, is down 10db or so. 

I have tried it with the Meridian crossing over at 40, 50, 60, 70 and even 80hz and it doesn't change the boxiness of them. The reason I say that is because  though the bass might be new and flabby and muddying things. Could be my room of course. 

The Quad S-2's I have are open, detailed, warm and sound so much bigger than their size (to be fair I use a sub) and considering I paid £480 for them I think they are amazing. 

Simon at 2ndhandhifi.co.uk has been great, he has said no problem sending them back if they are not working for me. But I hate asking people to refund things, I on a retail business myself, so asking if he can do me a deal on a pair of Quad Z-3's. I was originally getting a pair from Martins Hi-Fi and it was seeing the Logans that made me change my mind. But I did try them and know I love them. 

Hopefully I will know by tomorrow, right now feel a bit gutted as I loved, and I mean really loved, my Meridian DSP5200s, and only reason I swapped is a fancied a change, it is turning into a huge regret. Haha

Edited by gizze

mmm , hope you get it sorted . at least that's the advantage of using a dealer , you can send back if demo does not work

On 18 May 2017 at 21:53, gizze said:

Cheers, yeah we have done a deal on a pair of the Quad Z3s. 

They were the speaker I was selling my Meridian 5200s for originally, so all good. 

How you doing with the Z3's mate?:D