hifinutt

Bel canto thread

As a long term fan of bel canto can anyone post their thoughts here . the addition of the VBS battery supply has certainly made a big difference to their compact and very very robust kit

I have the C5i integrated with an on board DAC.

It's an extremely effective piece of kit - as you say solidly built and the USB DAC side of it is very reliable - other bits of kit can be a bit flaky depending on what the computer on the other end is doing.

Sadly it's probably extreme overkill for what I'm using it for, just my desktop PC system with little Eclipse TD speakers. It would be put to better use in a main living room system.

I use a Set 40 which I like a lot, but I guess this is not the type of Bel Canto your asking for thoughts about Phil.

I'm using an old Tripath chipped Evo2 Power amp. Love it. Runs cool, and IMO sounds better than the newer Icepowered amps.

+1. I too am entirely bowled over by the Tripath chipped Evo2 power amps for their clarity, detail and sheer grunt. No signs of the harshness or clinical sound of other designs (including IMO the later Ice chipped bel canto amps). Teamed with a valve pre- simply delightful.

I'm using an old Tripath chipped Evo2 Power amp. Love it. Runs cool, and IMO sounds better than the newer Icepowered amps.

Having sold my Evo 2 Gen 2 to Jagged 24 above, I agree totally with his comments about the Tripath chipped amps. However I have heard the later amps in various guises and think that they too can be very engaging. A friend has Ref 500m amps and they are certainly as musical as the earlier amps but perhaps not quite so dynamic. I was with him at the demo when purchased and compared against Ref 1000m's. I would have chosen the latter for their extra thump, but I've heard his amps at his home and cannot really fault them with his music.

The only reason for selling the Evo 2's was that I had another pair with loads of internal mods, and they are still in use here. My 'better' power amps to replace the bel canto have packed up already! The reliability of bel canto gear can only be properly appreciated when you experience that sort of problem!

I also have the Cd2 and Dac3 which are a great combination, and may have them modified for the VBS power supply which I understand takes them up another level.

When reading reviews of bel canto gear, they are often described as 'natural', 'neutral' and 'musical'. What more do you need from your music?

I quite like my Bel Canto gear. It's clean, transparent, quiet and efficient. Its also 1/2 size form factor, which was important to me coming from NAIM chrome bumper stuff...

Ive got a 500s and a 2.5 DAC. The 500s is amply powerful in my tiny room! ;-)

I have used a bel canto 3.5 vbs dac for some while , its beautifully made , the remote is superb to use and its sounds absolutely marvellous and does not cost crazy money either

ive got a s300i bought 2nd hand few years back and love it.i had cyrus power amps with psxrs and the bel is much better at everything.i kept my cd player cd8x good spinner so it goes well size wise with my bel.was gonna buy a cd2 few yrs ago great price at under a grand(prob should have at that price)anyways im a happy bel owner:D

Hi, I've been looking into Bel Canto cd transports.

I've read that the CD2 upsamples (which might not be good with my x1 upsampling DAC).

Also, is it true that the older CD2 models won't convert 44.1 KHz to 24/192?

The newer models have firmware that will convert 44.1 to 24/192 but again I've read that this only works if the cdt and dac connected via an optical cable.

So, for partnering to a non-Bel Canto DAC, which is the better cd transport - the cd2 or the cd3t?

Thanks.

some very good questions

the cyrus forum has many bel canto owners more technical than me

it may be worth asking them

http://www.rdhworld.myzen.co.uk/smfcu/index.php?action=forum

I can`t see how an optical lead would be any different from others but still

I used the cd2 for many years with the dac , its very well built

anvil audio can also answer your question and so can tony at coherent sounds [he is extremely helpful]

info@coherent-systems.co.uk

I recently started to use the Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC + VB PSU as modded by Coherant with the 3D power cable through a Belcanto Pre3. It has replaced my EAR864 pre & Naim DAC with Teddy Pardo XPS.

The EAR & Naim have very happily given me a lot of pleasure over a number of years, and I really was not thinking of replacing them, but decided that the convenience of a volume remote control was worth a change, as my music is ripped at a variety of diffent sound pressures.

I have to say that my system has taken a large step forward. I would recommend Tony @Coherent, as the Bel Canto gear is very transparent and the difference that cabling makes to the end result is huge.

I have never heard the differences in dynamic swings so powerfully, and the detail that is presented is superb, yet doesn't distract from the music.

M

yes I use a 5d digital cable with good effect , the vbs pre 3 is a substantial upgrade on the old one .

I owned a Pre3 and M300 mono blocks, all was well until I heard a friend's Tom Evans Linear Bs ! I also had the integrated on demo previous to the pre-power set up and was really impressed with it. Very transparent presentation and as many have pointed out, reasonable value for money. I'd always put in a good word for Bel Canto.