JamPal

Sonos Owners Club

Hello everyone, I need some advice setting up a Sonos system.

First question is regards BBC radio- particularly radio 4. I believe there was an issue caused by the BBC changing the way it streamed its radio channels. Does anybody know if this is fully resolved. I listen to a lot of radio so this is important for me.

2nd question. I'll probably get a Sonos connect which has an analogue input and I will use this to plug in my Arcam Solo mini. For playing music, most of the time I will stream from iTunes on my Mac and use an iPad as the controller. I will have a couple of Play 1's in the kitchen and maybe Play3's in the sitting room. But sometimes I might play a CD on the Arcam and associated speakers and also stream to the other rooms. My question is will each room be in synch? Because of the processing of the signal thro the connect I would expect there to be delay in the other rooms. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Super Wammer

No answer since 15th May so you may have lost interest now!  I tried to stream from my 2 channel HiFi to other rooms using Sonos by taking a Tape Out from my pre-amp to the Sonnos Connect analog in.  This way I could play LP's CD's etc through my main 2 channel set up and in theory also listen to the same music on Sonos speakers in other rooms.  Hmmm.  Never really worked very well.  It sort of worked but then you would get frequent drop outs that just made it too annoying to be bothered with.  Not really sure why.  I guess that the Connect has to A To D and then at the speaker it has to go back to D to A.  Theoretically don't think this should be a big deal but practically never worked well for me so I gave up on it.

My main use for the Connect is to stream Spotify and Radio stations to my 2 channel HiFi and this on the whole works well.  I take the digital out from the Connect to my DAC, as it is a better quality DAC than the one in the Sonos Connect and from there to my preamp.  Works a treat for the most part.  One minor niggle is that if I have Sonos selected on my DAC but am not streaming anything, I get annoying crackles and pops and such like.  It is as though the Sonos digital out provides random crap and static when it is not streaming.  I have read that this is a common problem for folks that stream from Connect to 2 channel HiFi.  As my DAC only has a single coax input, I have worked around the problem by putting a Digital Switch in front of the DAC.  The Switch can accommodate up to 4 inputs that can be prioritised so by putting the Sonos on the lowest priority input if I switch any other device on (CD transport, playstation, TV set top box) it is prioritised over Sonos and I don't get the horrible crackles.  Seems like a kludgy work around but needs must.  If anyone knows a more elegant way to prevent Sonos Connect digital out from creating crap when it is not streaming, please let me know.       

Edited by arb70sok

I'd forgotten that I had posted a question here it was so long ago. Anyway thanks for your reply Andrew.

In the end because I had spare speakers and amps I went down the route of Airport expresses. I use the BBC's radio Iplayer app, works really well

finally managed to get a sonos boost to replace my defunct bridge . reamarkably good sound now coming from the system , most impressive really considering its mp3 Spotify premium .

i had to move mine away from the router and the wireless phone to make sure it was not conflicting 

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 16:21, hifinutt said:

i had to move mine away from the router and the wireless phone to make sure it was not conflicting 

O, thought you had to leave boost plugged into the router with Ethernet cable, is that not the case?

Mac

Wireless speaker pioneer Sonos has announced plans to a release a new operating system (OS) and app in June that will enable hi-res audio and other new features on all but a handful of its oldest products.

Details were scant, but the forthcoming Sonos S2 OS update will bring “usability updates and more personalization” in addition to an unspecified level of high-resolution sound.

The company said most of its products will be compatible with the new OS but noted that to download the new app, all products in a system must support S2.

Sonos owners will receive a notification in June when the S2 app is available for download; existing speaker settings and preferences will update automatically.

“Some of our oldest products, previously referred to as ‘legacy’ products, will not support the advances of S2 due to their memory and processing power,” Sonos said in a statement.

To avoid another misstep like the faux pas in January that prompted a public apology by CE Patrick Spence, Sonos was careful to point that owners of older products “can continue to use your system as you do today.”

S2-compatible Sonos products include Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 (Gen 2), Playbase, Playbar, Connect (Gen 2), Connect:Amp (Gen 2), One (Gen 1), One (Gen 2), One SL, Beam, Amp, Port, Boost, Symfonisk, Move, Sub (Gen 1), and Sub (Gen 2).

The following older products will not be compatible with S2: Zone Players, CR200, Bridge, Connect (Gen 1), Connect:Amp (Gen 1), and Play:5 (Gen 1).

Owners of wireless systems that include a mix of old and new Sonos speakers will have the option of not updating to the new S2 operating system so they can keep using the system as is they do now. The current app will be renamed the Sonos S1 Controller and continue working with existing music and voice services.

While the S1 Controller will not include any of the new features enabled by S2, it will continue to receive bug fixes and security patches. Products released after May 2020 will not be compatible with the S1 Controller app.

Owners of old and new Sonos speakers will also have the option to create two separate, incompatible systems: one with products that are S2-compatible and one with products that are not.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/new-sonos-os-will-enable-hi-res-audio-new-features

s.gif