orangeart

First Scalford

What have I let myself in for!! I've got to finish quite a bit of kit off before I tip up on Saturday night.

1. 2 way speakers - well they have been rewired for active and are currently sporting the ported test baffle in a beautiful 'naked' MDF complete with router marks and pencil measurements, they do have some rather special scanspeak drivers in them though
  2. 4 channels of hypex UCD HG HXR amps - finished and electrically tested but no signal through them yet.
  3. MiniDSP mini sharc DSP / active FIR XO
  4. WaveIO async USB board powered - working and tested
  5. 2 stereo Buffalo II DACS connected via i2s to the WaveIO - working and tested (ish)
  6. 2 twisted pear legato I/V stages - working (sort of)

3 to 6 are powered by Salas shunt regs and r-core transformers, the regs for the legatos are not behaving at the moment hence the (ish) and (sort of) in the descriptions.

Once I get it all up and running correctly, all I have to do is take drive measurements in the box, test different cross over implementations, sort out some music, make some better cables. Should just about make it in time but it is a little seat of the pants.

I'm hoping to find enough time when I set up to get some in room measurements and tune the speaker positions and apply a little room correction. I'm kind of hoping they'll leave the mattresses for a little bit of passive room filtering but I guess it is what it is.

I hope I get some folk pop past the room and I am more than happy to play flacs etc if you bring a CD I can rip or a USB stick. I'm in room 41 which was Avole's room

A little advice though if I may? Do you think I should 'tune' the sweet spot in the room for one seat, which is my preference, or for a wider range?

Stefan

... A little advice though if I may? Do you think I should 'tune' the sweet spot in the room for one seat, which is my preference, or for a wider range?

Do bear in mind that the Scalford hotel bedrooms are not large. You may have room for only half a dozen seats in which case the difference between them, apart from balance, might also not be large. Much more of an issue when it comes to tuning is deciding what to do about the fact that for some of the time your room may contain you and one other listener. At other times it may contain as many as 12-15 people (half a dozen seated plus 6-9 standing, wandering in and out etc). People are pretty absorbent and they really do change the sound. So most of us don't spend too much time obsessing about half a dB here or there. We do what we can to get a decent 'middling' sound and then go with the flow. None of the listeners will be expecting a highly tailored performance.

VB

They won't leave the mattresses, but just open the door and shout 'HELP' and three men with beards and T shirts will appear from nowhere lugging straw filled bales, bring you beer and a pork pie, a soldering iron and a sign which reads...'work in progress', thus guaranteeing your room to be packed from 10-5pm.

THAT kind of show.

You'll love it.

To be fair, If you aim for a bit better than '' that'll do'' you will achieve a sound that most of us will have to settle for.

Thanks for all the advice.

Well I got everything plugged up last night and music sprang forth from the drivers so it all kind of works. I've still got a problem with my shunt regs not regulating for the legatos properly, however I'll get that sorted out at the weekend hopefully, that'll give me a couple of weeks to get driver measurements and sort the crossover out properly. This will be my first time messing with linear phase stuff and I'm really looking forward to the results. You lot will get to hear it almost when I do.

I'm thinking it might be good to do a few versions of a crossover, an FIR linear phase and time aligned version, an IIR version (with time alignment) and a normal one. I could also do different filter slopes and with/without room correction. Maybe even show folk the measurement process?

Is that all to much? Are folk just coming to listen or are they interested in seeing actual demonstrations?

Cheers

Stefan

Super Wammer
Thanks for all the advice.

Well I got everything plugged up last night and music sprang forth from the drivers so it all kind of works. I've still got a problem with my shunt regs not regulating for the legatos properly, however I'll get that sorted out at the weekend hopefully, that'll give me a couple of weeks to get driver measurements and sort the crossover out properly. This will be my first time messing with linear phase stuff and I'm really looking forward to the results. You lot will get to hear it almost when I do.

I'm thinking it might be good to do a few versions of a crossover, an FIR linear phase and time aligned version, an IIR version (with time alignment) and a normal one. I could also do different filter slopes and with/without room correction. Maybe even show folk the measurement process?

Is that all to much? Are folk just coming to listen or are they interested in seeing actual demonstrations?

Cheers

Stefan

Most of the target audience are probably just pleased for someone to talk to/company and the occasional body contact as they squeeze past each other in the corridors...

If they get a seat then thats a bonus :P

I expect your super Scanspeaks will image throughout the whole room given half a chance-[Height?]

and I've found that its only possible to adjust whilst bodies are inroom

-point them down parallel to the sidewalls if it seems a bit bright----- and angle in when room fills crossing on middle of middle row of seats is a start. Others will advise their personal variant.

Re mattress -Freefallrob and I were allocated bedrooms for a couple of years and found mattress stashed in the ensuites. and was tempted to use it for echo control but Wammers [whether demoing or visiting] are well aware of the ways 'punters ' change the soundscape- it seems there is a ''crucial mass'' of bodies at which the hifi sounds really good.

Re 'testing' 'experimenting'' whilst demoing . I had once to dismantle a belt drive player three times due to its metal being so cold that moisture in the hot room air caused skidding of the belt and an unlovely non-hifi warbling.

I was in panic but opted to talk it out aloud explaining what I was doing etc.

Having dried off the condensation inside I turned to find a room full of attentive folk with phone cameras clicking at the Turntable [not me I trust].

They were really interested in the scattered bits and setting up of the cartridge.

So go for it- with plenty verbal.

And don't cover up those now famous pencil marks!!!

I played 33's at 45 and 45's at 33.

I even played wrong tracks from time to time.

Nobody worried and it was a lot of fun.

Anyway I still maintain to this day that the Nine Inch Nails single sounded better at 33. :D

Agree with VB. Don't panic on getting everything perfect since you'll be demonstrating in less than ideal conditions and those conditions will be changing with the ebb and flow of visitors. Do the best you can and remember it's as much about the fun, chatting, looking and meeting folk as the sound.

My only advice is don't be a stranger to soap and deoderant, and your neighbours will thank you for not going mad with the volume control. And new exhibitors usually get a round in.

My only advice is don't be a stranger to soap and deoderant, and your neighbours will thank you for not going mad with the volume control. And new exhibitors usually get a round in.

This soap and deodorant theme seems to crop up a lot on the WAM, I normally hang out in the DIY room over on PFM and we're a fresh smelling bunch over there :-)

I have visions of the perfumery at Selfridges.

You walk through the doors and an army of pretty things await to spray you with all sorts of fragrances.

Perhaps James could arrange something similar ;)

You walk through the doors and an army of pretty things await to spray you with all sorts of fragrances.

:)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

L'eau de 'Wam :nerves: