bearair

Beethoven 9th, Holst Panets recommend a vinyl version please.

Hi Folks,

Quite new to the forum so please forgive me if this question has been asked a million times before, I have tried the search function but not found an appropriate answer.

I sometimes dabble in listening to classical and Beethoven's 9th and Holts planets are amongst my favourites.

I have a copy of Beethoven's 9th on Ace of Diamonds and I think it is very good, but the record is damaged so before I hunt done a better copy I thought I would ask if there is a performance/recording on vinyl that others recommended?

More or less the same situation with The Planets only I havn't got any decent copies only Pickwick Presents types and I reckon there must be better records out there.

Not looking to spend a fortune on a rare copy just copies I should be able to pick up for £30ish

Any suggestions on what to look out for please?

There will be quite a few copies of the 1960's Adrian Boult recording of the planets around fairly cheap, which is pretty much the best place to start. If you like that, try and find a recording of the music from A Perfect Fool as well.

Hi Folks' date='

Quite new to the forum so please forgive me if this question has been asked a million times before, I have tried the search function but not found an appropriate answer.

I sometimes dabble in listening to classical and Beethoven's 9th and Holts planets are amongst my favourites.

I have a copy of Beethoven's 9th on Ace of Diamonds and I think it is very good, but the record is damaged so before I hunt done a better copy I thought I would ask if there is a performance/recording on vinyl that others recommended?

More or less the same situation with The Planets only I havn't got any decent copies only Pickwick Presents types and I reckon there must be better records out there.

Not looking to spend a fortune on a rare copy just copies I should be able to pick up for £30ish

Any suggestions on what to look out for please?[/quote']

My favourite performance of the 9th is the one from the DG/Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic set of the 9 Beethoven symphonies. Outstanding.

Might be considered a bit cheesy, but the von Karajan Planets is a decent recording. Hard to find on vinyl though and the CD version is not that good. Again quite rare, but there is an Adrian Boult version with the London Symphony that is really rather good. I have that one on vinyl, but I have no idea how good (or not) the CD version is.

As a starter for any classical, look for Deutsche Grammmophon recordings. A bit 'popular', but generally they do pick good artists and the recording quality (especially on vinyl) is ahead of most.

If your Beethoven 9th is on Ace of Diamonds it is likely to be the Schmidt-Isserstedt version which is one of the best available on vinyl. The 1960s Karajan is good as mentioned, and also the Bohm on DGG. Solti was reasonably regarded on Decca, but perhaps now is less popular.

On vinyl, Boult (several versions) is the clear winner by a large margin when it comes to the Planets suite.

:^

All best in suitable analogue obtaining.

Beethoven's 9th is very frustrating to choose a favourite version of. It is the only piece I have in as many as four recordings that have survived multiple times my annual culling (once you reach middle age you have to be careful not to slide into hoarding :)

These are the 4 versions: Furtwangler-Bayreuth Chorus & Orchestra; Fricsay-Berlin Philharmonic & St Hedwig's Cathedral Chorus; Solti-Chicago Symphony Orchestra & Chorus; Karajan-Berlin Philharmonic.

Since I like strings, the Molto Vivace (2nd Movt) in Fricsay's version is the one I treasure and it would be the one I would save in a fire. Furtwangler is the most significant recording but not with the best of sound. Solti's is an audiophile recording that I find sanitised (although generally speaking I admire Solti's interpretations). Karajan's has been the version that established the 'baseline' for me: a very descent version that nevertheless appears shallow and struggles in the company I have just mentioned. Still I cannot willingly part with it!!!!

All versions exist in relatively easy to obtain reissues.

Warning - strong opinion to follow:

To be blunt, Furtwangler is vomit inducing. A travesty of Beethoven's music, how on earth Furtwrangler once was accorded such admiration is beyond me. He tries to Wagnerize everything and its just wrong! :x To add to that, you're stuck with pretty basic mono sound for his recordings.

The Schmidt-Isserstedt/VPO recommendation on Decca is a good one. Karajan 1963 Quite good too. Can't think of many other great analogue-era Beethoven 9ths. Would like to hear that Fricsay one - when was it recorded?

Sir,when you say "Wagnerise" do you mean power and majesty ? If so how is that vomit inducing ? I would have suggested Sherchen , may that have been as bad ? Probably not the best time to suggest that the sound of the aforementioned, mono ALP is peerless.

Thats lucky then, as a Decca SXL copy of this is winging its way to Roger right now. :)

Excellent. That's him sorted then for a Beethoven 9th.

Now who's got a good copy of the later EMI Boult Planets?