dougie834

ZU AUDIO loudspeakers

I had an extended listen to several of the Zu's speakers, following the glowing reviews in the US. I really wanted to like them. I did not. I found them bright at the top and fatiguing, though I tried them with a valve PP EL34 amp. However, it may well be that I like "darker" sound and you may love them.

Bright, even on the end of a EL34 PP?

I did have a tinge of misgiving about that super tweeter imposed on a full-range driver.:dunno: Wonder if that really counts as a crossover-less design.

Thanks, I think I know which speaker is going to be my second high-eff monitor.

Will still try to visit the Zu people and have a listen for myself. And of course, to run my fingers along that sexy shiny driver once.:love:

SS

Horses for courses, as the saying goes.

Speakers, room interaction and interaction with power amps are highly varied and also very personal. I love the Living Voice and 845SE combination. Others hate it, and I acknowledge it can fall short at times.

With regard to the subject matter, I've only heard ZUs once, and if I'm honest, it's not an experience I'd like to revisit.

Wilsons, OTOH, I could live with any day. Similarly in that vein, ART. Both capable of really excellent 'up front' sort of presentation.

The problem with 96dB/W single drivers is that to get bass, you need a big cabinet. There is simply no way around this. This will inevitably limit their acceptability in a metrowankual environment.

If I were to do Lowthers again, I would probably top and tail them with a 15" woofer and a tweeter, crossing over about 100-150Hz and maybe 6kHz. That way you could keep the sensitivity, have something smaller and get a more even response, while keeping the mid clarity that they are great at.

The only implementation like that done commercially is Horning. They are still big though. I'd do open baffle bass, myself.

I owned Zu Druid MkIV for 3 years. I loved them. They are fantastic. They sound more real than any other speaker I've heard before or since. On the end of an Audiolab 8200CDQ and a Croft Integrated, they were never fatiguing. They are fast with good impact. They sound like real musicians playing real instruments in your room. Most other speakers sound broken after a few hours with the Zu's.

I'm a headphonista now but if I ever get the chance to use big speakers again, a new pair of Druids will be top of the list - probably the only thing on the list.

Recently heard a Audio Note CD player .... into a Audio Note integrated (Otto)? .... into Druid V's.

Loved them so much I bought them ... (good ex demo price did help a lot ) ... very big :)

New Zu fan here.

Thanks also to James (E. Avison) who helped with some very useful info prior.

Just recently acquired a pair of Zu Omens.

Coupled with a little ming da single ended amp they sound absolutely phenomenal!

Extremely fun speakers and as others pointed out that 'live' feel to the music is intoxicating.

After spending probably a week playing with placement and height/vertical angle, the soundstage, tone and overall timbre is amazing.....especially the bass!

Given my room is probably about 3msq and a bloody boom box at best is pretty impressive.

Being the baby of the range I'm really intrigued to the rest.... Especially as they offer a driver upgrade /trade.

Not owned them long but i can't stop listening to them. Really re experiencing my music collection.

I owned Zu Druid MkIV for 3 years. I loved them. They are fantastic. They sound more real than any other speaker I've heard before or since. On the end of an Audiolab 8200CDQ and a Croft Integrated, they were never fatiguing. They are fast with good impact. They sound like real musicians playing real instruments in your room. Most other speakers sound broken after a few hours with the Zu's.

I'm a headphonista now but if I ever get the chance to use big speakers again, a new pair of Druids will be top of the list - probably the only thing on the list.

Yup. I still remember your room at Scalford 4(?) years ago. You played ZZ Top for me. Best sound of the show I thought. So Zu speakers certainly can sound good.

Jim

Ime Zu speakers generally sound like shouty paper trumpets with no bass.

Each to his own.

They may sound real or whatever that is, but the true test is time.

Sent via Tapatalk