dougie834

ZU AUDIO loudspeakers

Has anyone owned or heard any of the loudspeakers from ZU audio ? reviews state thay are very live and direct sounding which is what im looking for,using audio physic virgo 2 at the moment which are very good but sometimes miss that live event feel I got from the old snell type c,also looking at used pair of wilson watt/puppy would these give a live musical sound or too 'hifi' ?

thanks

I have only heard them at shows and enjoyed them immensely, like you said, there is a live feel to the music and they work great with rock music especially. I thought there is some magic in their full range drivers and they are very sensibly priced too and would definitely be on my audition list had I been in the market for a pair of speakers.

Chivas

I had extensive audition of two of Zu Audio's models. I really, really wanted to like them:( Unfortunately something did not click for me. Mainly the highs - left me with a bit of a metal taste:( It could have been the partnering equipment or the room (I listened at a small dealer's room). In any case these are worth trying - you never know, might be just what you are looking for!

Never heard a pair that I liked. They just don't do it for me. Wilsons on the other hand I like.

You need to listen to some. Zus and Wilsons are very different; it's unlikely you'll like both. They are also both sensitive to partnering equipment - experience at shows suggests that both can sound good, but also very bad if you get it wrong.

RichardG has a pair of Omen Def, drop him a PM and I'm sure he will be happy to give you some feedback.

I heard once a pair Zu Audio Essence (the ones with ribbon tweeters) on Bristol show.

They were driven by Atma Sphere low-power OTL valve amp (no output transformer).

The sound was absolutely spectacular. Those are the only speakers that make some of my test tracks really sing.

Good dynamics and very natural. For me the best speakers so far.

Sensitivity over 97dB and 12 Ohm impedance means they are an easy load for any amplifier.

I spent nearly 2 hours in that show room. There were not a lot of visitors in the room -it was on the side corridor and only spotted by accident.

Super Wammer

I have heard Richard's Zu's anf can confirm the very live and real sound. Well jealous :-D

Sent from my phone with fat fingers on tiny buttons so probably full of mistakes :-D

Where are you located Dougie?

There is a dealer on the outskirts of Manchester in Saddleworth.

I've heard them a few times at his demo room and at the Manchester airport show last year. They are initially impressive in a demo but I think I would soon find them too much in your face for extended listening. I'm a pipe and slippers Harbeth chap so its horses for courses.

Could suit you if you like a big dynamic sound with plenty of presence.

One of the very few I've heard that can make a Ludwig drum sound like a Ludwig drum...

On the end of Pathos they sound great, slightly taming any top end excesses, but not so much that you'll think you're being anaesthetised...Miles's trumpet and Coleman's sax will still make you jump out of your skin, if that's what you want.

Not perfect (what is?) but a very exciting listen that excels with rock - as you might expect from a company founded by someone who started out making valve guitar amps.

The Omen Defs are big, and quite imposing. Like a previous poster, it was the Essences that piqued my interest.

You MUST hear them before committing though, they can divide opinions, but if you value a big ballsy delivery over flat frequency tonal accuracy (yawn!) they might be right up your street.

Good at moving air, even at lowish volume (I listen at about 65-70dB usually), they don't need big watts to get them going. Have a listen, they're A LOT of fun!

And about a quarter of the price of Wilsons too :cool:

If you liked the Snell sound why not consider Audio Note E speakers, these always sound live when I've heard them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard a similar OTL Atmasphere ,Zu set up at Heathrow and was suitably impressed definitely a live style performer.

I ended up with Klipsch's which for me do live as their best attribute but with that extra bit of oomph .

Heard a similar OTL Atmasphere ,Zu set up at Heathrow and was suitably impressed definitely a live style performer.

I ended up with Klipsch's which for me do live as their best attribute but with that extra bit of oomph .

Yep, I was there too. The only time I have heard Zu speakers sound half decent rather than complete rubbish.

Wilson's major on control and detail. They will sound very, very different to Zu.

If you are after excitement and being there I would start listening to Klipsch La Scala's and see if they float your boat. Coloured, yes, exciting definitely. Not a major fan of AN E's, they are OK but overpriced and can't do bass or loud. Much better are Mowgan Audio Mabon, who M7RSO has, very nice speaker these, sophisticated and exciting.