Dayvan cowboy

Ariston Transcription TT

I posted previously regarding a rega rp1 so I can spin some old vinyl , but just realised I had this in my loft from back in the day . I can't find much info on it but I remember it cost £349 back in '86. It definitely needs some tlc but I'm wondering if spending 200 on this and getting a new cart fitted and getting it serviced is the way to go ? What do you wise old fellas thing

She's a heavy beast

image.jpg.9cf4d32a2bb36e39e08651c8864ec9

image.jpg.d1ad7c4ee390d995d0e7a85b553c48

image.jpg.f954e001b854ccff955861ffc8e042

image.jpg.35fb7702ce67e9cd46c2839c864e58

image.jpg.cab14b0a6a4ba039256fe301a8612f

image.jpg.11320dd5f06b301c8116ce538fdca7

If you get the arm stub decoupling repaired, and almost certainly a new belt, it should be pretty good. Nice find.

S

Thanks serge , what's the stub decoupling btw

Behind the arm pivot, there's a short piece of tube on which the couterweight sits. That's the stub. The stub is usually decoupled from the main arm by some soft rubber in order to reduce the arm's effective mass at audio frequencies. This rubber often goes soft and the stub droops as yours seems to have done. Usually the rubber decoupling surrounds a thinner piece of metal or plastic to provide some additional strength to the stub, and if the counterweight is abused, that thinner piece of metal or plastic can get broken or bent, but it's not hard to make another out of plastic or metal rod.

S

Oh I see , no this is the design of the arm serge it's always drooped :)

New one on me. Very weird.

Do you feel it would cost £200 to get it working? £20 ota for a new belt, and as much as you want on a cart I suppose, but going by the prices of very nearly new carts that have been popping up on here all week, I would say you could comfortably do it for less.

What's sort of cart should I be looking for rick any pointers ? Well as I say assuming it needs a service and a rewire of arm but I'm guessing I would get a little change to buy some vinyl maybe :)

Vote here for Ortofon 2M Red, about £85. Fitted one a few weeks ago and have been listening to a lot more vinyl since. Tracks quietly through minor damage on old vinyl, which might be a relevant skill in your case.

Was one in classifieds for £60 a few days ago.

It's not certain to need a rewire, try it out.

Cart wise, something like this http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?98660-Ortofon-2M-Red-Brand-new-£60-inc-P-amp-P maybe? This one has gone but this kind of cart is not uncommon and a good saving on a boxed one from the shop. You could also put a wanted ad up. I bet there are members here that might even give you a cart for free. ;-)

That deck you have would no doubt be double that rrp now. Well worth keeping IMO, and probably superior to the other one you're looking at.

Oh I see , no this is the design of the arm serge it's always drooped :)
New one on me. Very weird.

Do you feel it would cost £200 to get it working? £20 ota for a new belt, and as much as you want on a cart I suppose, but going by the prices of very nearly new carts that have been popping up on here all week, I would say you could comfortably do it for less.

New one on me too! That arm I think was made by Jelco for Ariston, typical of the OEM arms of the era and all the ones I've ever seen have had the counterweight stub in-line with the main arm, with at very most a tiny droop if the decoupling rubber was a bit soft.

Agree also with the comments that the arm may not need a rewire if there's continuity from the cartridge pins to the phono plugs.

As to cartridges, you could also try a Goldring 1042, should work well in that arm.

S.

Thanks guys , I'm going have a little play tomorrow get it cleaned up take it apart and see whats what ..

Are we having a sweep to see how many screws are left over when you get it back together? :P

Nice to see a turntable being put back into action. :^

Thanks guys , I'm going have a little play tomorrow get it cleaned up take it apart and see whats what ..

If you have not got the original manual check out Vinyl Engine you should be able to down load it from there. The arm is a Jelco, and the level of droop you have is way out and will need attention such as has been suggested earlier. You have got a really nice deck that with a little TLC should be good for a good few years.

http://www.vinylengine.com/

Interesting after doing some research last night , I naively thought in my youth that ariston was a Japanese made tt , I was surprised to find out it was the fore bearer to linn ...

Might be worth investing some time in after all