rockmeister

Wammers album club, Tue 14th Dec. John Martyn. The church with one bell

I've been a John Martyn fan since 'Solid Air' in 1973. That year I was 'occupying' a part of Swansea Art college in protest for something or other, and solid air was the album of choice on the PA.

I suppose a Londoner brought up in Scotland was always going to have folk influences, but from a 'folky' start he turned evolving singer songwriter (and wrote for many others too) moving through Folky/rocky in the early 80's (Grace and Danger) to a sort of Jazz fusion thing in the 90's (The Apprentice) to this, my chosen album, 'The Church With One Bell'. By then, he'd been through so many musical variations defining the style is beyond me. It's not his best album, but is a decent intro to that voice. Sadly the spotify version is a remaster which is not as good as the original release IMO, so if you like it at all, seek out the original vinyl...much warmer sounding and more like the drunken singer I know.

It is on Spotify, but I still have no idea how to find the link there to paste. Can some kind person help out?

• Upvote 3

I've been a John Martyn fan since 'Solid Air' in 1973. That year I was 'occupying' a part of Swansea Art college in protest for something or other, and solid air was the album of choice on the PA.

I suppose a Londoner brought up in Scotland was always going to have folk influences, but from a 'folky' start he turned evolving singer songwriter (and wrote for many others too) moving through Folky/rocky in the early 80's (Grace and Danger) to a sort of Jazz fusion thing in the 90's (The Apprentice) to this, my chosen album, 'The Church With One Bell'. By then, he'd been through so many musical variations defining the style is beyond me. It's not his best album, but is a decent intro to that voice. Sadly the spotify version is a remaster which is not as good as the original release IMO, so if you like it at all, seek out the original vinyl...much warmer sounding and more like the drunken singer I know.

It is on Spotify, but I still have no idea how to find the link there to paste. Can some kind person help out?

Was occupying Loughborough College of Art in '73 myself.

Must have been summat in the water that year.

I think we had Lou Reed's Transformer on heavy rotation, but I digress...

The radio interview with Danny Thompson (JM's double bass player & bezzy mate) will always stick with me...

They're having a post gig curry & some pissed up guys on the next table start to abuse the waiters.

JM gets stuck in, beats them to a pulp & then pays for the damage.

Genius.

I loves Solid Air me, as its about Nick Drake.

Will give this one a listen.

Unique musician and a totally one off character.

Was occupying Loughborough College of Art in '73 myself.

Must have been summat in the water that year.

I think we had Lou Reed's Transformer on heavy rotation, but I digress...

The radio interview with Danny Thompson (JM's double bass player & bezzy mate) will always stick with me...

They're having a post gig curry & some pissed up guys on the next table start to abuse the waiters.

JM gets stuck in, beats them to a pulp & then pays for the damage.

Genius.

I loves Solid Air me, as its about Nick Drake.

Will give this one a listen.

Unique musician and a totally one off character.

It may be apocryphal, but I read once that before playing a gig, he used to throw the guvnor of the pub that he was playing £50 for damages. Landlord would say, "but there isn't any" to which he would reply, "there will be".

I've made no secret of my love of the legless folkster. Apart from his first few albums, they were far from "straight" folk. I already have most of his creative folk albums, yet I haven't heard this particular effort, which in itself is quite something. So I look forward to Tuesday.

Good choice John :^

Hope you like it then. I love anything with a slightly funky, jazzy feel and his voice suits perfectly I think.:)

Hilarious tales of violence and domestic violence... :nup:

He's a hi-fi cliché but his 70s period is great music.

This is a bit dull, past his best. Track 5 is nearest to his best, I reckon.

This is exactly what I expect from the dopehead and drunken folkster that is John Martyn. Moody, dark, swinging, magnetic, musically beyond reproach. I don't think there is a track here that I don't like. Sure some are stronger than others but the basic level is so good that I can't see any weak spots. That should all be taken in the context of me being a Fanboi.

Anyway, that's an album I didn't have, that is now on my N.Y. shortlist. Nice one John :^

coool

I think that the 70's stuff is rawer to be sure Notty, but I like the way he developed.Funny how lots of musicians 'mature' into a Jazz funk style.

Anyway, there's something in his catalogue for everyone I'd think.

Well, this is interesting. I'm familiar with most of John Martyn's work but this is one that I've not heard before.

Good arrangements, he sounds inebriated (as usual) and the songs are not too long. That's all good in my book. An album of cover versions obviously but some good numbers on here.

An excellent WAC choice.

:^