RobHolt

Direct Drive V Belt Drive sound - demonstration

Super Wammer
It's probably just as important to use the same arm if you really want to get a flavour of any difference in the decks. A bake-off should have an arm in a pod that can be switched between tables fairly easily if some setup prep is done before hand. That way it's "the same arm and cart" not the "same model arm and cart," so no second guesses on that regard.

It gets very complicated then, though. The amount of vibration transmitted to the headshell from the plinth via the arm pillar and tube is effected by the arm mount (and where it is relative to plinth modes).

Is there a standard way of mounting the Rega on the 1210? I have no knowledge of these tweaks.

If not there is another variable.

I think comparing the turntable/arm configs of 2 different manufacturers is OK overall.

One could add cartridge/arm matching too so where does one stop?

I preferred the Techy, listening on headphones driven by an Arcam rPAC from my lappy.

Techy for me, though I use one with a Rega RB301 (currently broken:doh:) on myself so i'm biased.

A standard RB300/301 is easily better than the standard techy arm, I've done the side by side test/same cartridges etc....you are indeed deaf if you can't hear it:D.

P.s For me, at my price level the DD is unbeatable (and I can't afford this one!). I can't afford a BD etc that is speed stable enough to satisfy me.

The arm is clearly important and should be the same for both TTs for any project investigating the TT alone.

However, people I get to watch and listen to this vid without looking at the screen have some difficulty identifying the TTs even with the arm variable at play. So this is about quantifying differences, not trying to demonstrate that they do or don't exist.

I'm certainly not in the camp which says that all TTs just need to spin at the correct speed, satisfy a predetermined noise spec and be reasonably immune to feedback. I do however feel that with TTs, as with most things hi-fi, hyperbole is prone to take over when quantifying the often small differences encountered.

If we did away with the hyperbole we'd have to close the boards.

It certainly does seem that the HiFi industry now runs on hyperbole, on "night and day" differences that need days (and nights) of careful listening to appreciate.

Rob's very clever test shows that even if there is a difference, and not everyone could hear it, it's a small one at best. Hardly the sort of differences that would make one rush out and buy whichever they felt was the better. Similarly, whether comparing DACs or CD players or amplifiers, I think we're now pretty much always in the realms of subtle differences if any, which I find myself unable to get excited about.

From the hobbyist's point of view, I rather hanker after the days when changing amplifiers actually made a difference. From the music lover's point of view, I'm rather pleased that I can use almost anything these days and get a decent enough result.

S.

Guest soulman

I simply can't agree with that, surely disagreement is the best noun by a hairs breadth? :minikev:

Surely procrastination is the best noun in the English language. Or is it? Erm..

'Procrastination' - I'll have to look that up sometime..

Surely procrastination is the best noun in the English language. Or is it? Erm..

It's not bloody funny if you are suffering from it and waiting on the NHS it's not!

It certainly does seem that the HiFi industry now runs on hyperbole, on "night and day" differences that need days (and nights) of careful listening to appreciate.

Rob's very clever test shows that even if there is a difference, and not everyone could hear it, it's a small one at best. Hardly the sort of differences that would make one rush out and buy whichever they felt was the better. Similarly, whether comparing DACs or CD players or amplifiers, I think we're now pretty much always in the realms of subtle differences if any, which I find myself unable to get excited about.

From the hobbyist's point of view, I rather hanker after the days when changing amplifiers actually made a difference. From the music lover's point of view, I'm rather pleased that I can use almost anything these days and get a decent enough result.

S.

Not my test - just something I found online when looking for cartridge needle drops.

It is however the sort of mischievous thing I like to do ;-)