The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

RobHolt

Direct Drive V Belt Drive sound - demonstration

The different is so tiny to my ears, the only way to compare this is to do the Rip into digital and play back through the main system.

still, thx Rob :^

No worries. I wanted to spark some discussion around the topic as a precursor to perhaps a few of us getting together and doing something a little more thorough by way of experiment.

And with real music of course :)

I do think the stitching into a continuous file method and paying 'spot the join' is a nice way to do these comparisons.

What is the characteristic sound of a DD turntable supposed to be? That of an SP10 Mk3, a Brinkmann Bardo, EMT 950 or some plasticy Akai item perched on top of a 70's stack system? What about the characteristc sound of a belt driven deck? Should we use the Tech Das Airforce One, a Thorens TD150 or a baby Pro-ject?

I'd have said it was too difficult to generalise about the characteristic sound of either kind of deck. There are too many other design factors that will influence the end result.

Agree entirely, Guy.

But I do read generalisations often about 'typical' characteristics of different drive methods, especially in magazine reviews.

It would be nice to experiment quantifying the effect of various design choices. Are they minor in effect and difficult to spot or fundamental and immediately obvious?

For this particular Youtube demo my interest was piqued as the Technics is often cited as having excellent drive, grip and stability thanks to its excellent DD system, while the fairly lowly Rega is often picked out (unfairly IME) for having audible speed issues.

I think a fixed motor (important) RP3 compared to a Bardo using the same very high end cartridge would make an interesting comparison.

Captured at high resolution using music people actually like....

Like a lot of 70s/early 80s concept albums, it's not dated terribly well, although of course it was further handicapped by being complete cack to begin with.

A contender for Wam Album Club record of the week surely?

A contender for Wam Album Club record of the week surely?

Serge will have to review it.

For this particular Youtube demo my interest was piqued as the Technics is often cited as having excellent drive, grip and stability thanks to its excellent DD system, while the fairly lowly Rega is often picked out (unfairly IME) for having audible speed issues.

I think a fixed motor (important) RP3 compared to a Bardo using the same very high end cartridge would make an interesting comparison.

Captured at high resolution using music people actually like....

Via the modest speakers/sub attached to my computer the Rega appears to sound softer with a vagueness & imprecision to its upper bass & lower midrange. The Technics also seems to show a slight lift in the treble perhaps artificially highlighting detail. That might simply be a function of the tonearm though.

I thought the question marks over the speed accuracy of some Rega TT's was due to the moulded platter hub not always being as round as it might have been.

It's probably just as important to use the same arm if you really want to get a flavour of any difference in the decks. A bake-off should have an arm in a pod that can be switched between tables fairly easily if some setup prep is done before hand. That way it's "the same arm and cart" not the "same model arm and cart," so no second guesses on that regard.

No doubt the detractors of Alan Parsons feel they could do a lot better?

So lets hear some of your compositions.........

Why?

I also can't sing like Britney Spears, but that doesn't stop me knowing that she's shite

:roll:

• Upvote 1

No doubt the detractors of Alan Parsons feel they could do a lot better? So lets hear some of your compositions.........

This is the stupidest post I've read for some time.

It's probably just as important to use the same arm if you really want to get a flavour of any difference in the decks. .

Yup

It's probably just as important to use the same arm if you really want to get a flavour of any difference in the decks. A bake-off should have an arm in a pod that can be switched between tables fairly easily if some setup prep is done before hand. That way it's "the same arm and cart" not the "same model arm and cart," so no second guesses on that regard.

Agreed. Especially as the Rega arm seems to be the established upgrade package for the Techy.