rod

Electronic stylus tracking gauge.

I am thinking of buying one..

Not sure but I would assume that if the scale that you place the stylus onto is not the same height as an. L.P. then the weight it showed(tracking force) would not be the same as when it was on the l.p.

Anyone checked if the weight on the scale changes depending on its height above platter?

More to the point may be the height to which you can get the cart. over the platform. Many of the cheaper ones are nearly 20mm, but there is one which measures at 5 (?) mm when on the turntable, and is said to be suitable for moving coils and has a short weighing range of up to 5 grammes. I guess you can weigh off the turntable by placing the scales lower (on a wooden block, perhaps), but obviously t/t placed weighing is more convenient.

I would imaging that there MUST be an accuracy error if you're setting VTF with the cart/arm at an upward tilt, though whether that's significant I couldn't guess. I've been thinking about one for some time and correspondingly doing the research, as it were, but apart from one in the States at a relative pittance (links to which I've lost track of), about £30 all in will get you one which fulfils most of the required criteria (Ebay)

Not sure but I would assume that if the scale that you place the stylus onto is not the same height as an. L.P. then the weight it showed(tracking force) would not be the same as when it was on the l.p.

Anyone checked if the weight on the scale changes depending on its height above platter?

It does. The trick is to remove the platter and use something to get the surface the same height as the platter + record.

My scales cost 15 eurodollars from a head-shop. They are surprisingly accurate. They have a metal plate so I use a couple of beer mats underneath and a plastic box on top. The total height is right and the cart is too far from the plate to be attracted.

It does. The trick is to remove the platter and use something to get the surface the same height as the platter + record.

My scales cost 15 eurodollars from a head-shop. They are surprisingly accurate. They have a metal plate so I use a couple of beer mats underneath and a plastic box on top. The total height is right and the cart is too far from the plate to be attracted.

Hadn't thought of removing the platter:doh: but a scale that weighs at the same height as a record would be easier.

Well obviously it will be different, it's farther from the centre of the earth, so less gravitational pull.

Hadn't thought of removing the platter:doh: but a scale that weighs at the same height as a record would be easier.

I'm sure Ive seen one like that. For a couple of hundred thingies........

I got one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electronics-Stylus-Force-Gauge-for-PHONO-CARTRIDGE-/370893631811?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item565afbb143

Didn't take long (less than a week, IIRC), HM Customs didn't do me over, and it works. Height is about the same as a 180g record, so if you're finicky take the mat off first. I check the calibration every so often and I've only ever had fluctuation in the 1000s decimal place.

think the normal scales type is accurate enough...prefer them to digital.

Yes, measuring height is an issue, together with the exact configuration of the arm's bearing and VTF mechanism.

I once wrote an article on this:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/in_balance_e.html

inbalance2.gif

Yes, that's a Koetsu.

I got one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electronics-Stylus-Force-Gauge-for-PHONO-CARTRIDGE-/370893631811?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item565afbb143

Didn't take long (less than a week, IIRC), HM Customs didn't do me over, and it works. Height is about the same as a 180g record, so if you're finicky take the mat off first. I check the calibration every so often and I've only ever had fluctuation in the 1000s decimal place.

Jay, My t/table does not have a mat.

- - - Updated - - -

Werner... I'll go and have a read of that.

Thanks for both links.

Jay, My t/table does not have a mat.

I guess that means you're finicky? ;-)

I don't bother removing the mat myself. I probably should do it just to check the difference, but I figure at that point, you'd have to be the sort that checks VTF and adjust VTA with every record to care that much. It's only a millimetre or so.