The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

henkuk

Speaker cables, even more fun... multiple choice question

I ordered 20m of 4mm cable from ye olde bay. I need longish runs hence the 20m.

It arrived today and happily cutting a length off I realised they shipped 100m of 1.5mm.

I hooked it up and to be honest it sounds ok. I have no reference point as the set up is in the new house with vastly improved positioning and acoustics. Also, the 909 has been cold for 4 weeks and will take a bit of time to warm up as does the rest.

My choices are:

a/ Bitch like a little baby and swap it for the 4mm once the seller sends this?

b/ Leave it and forget about, just enjoy the music again

c/ Do over 30 intense listening sessions, fuck about with all the gear for weeks until the wife goes mental and then leave it

d/ Have lengthly follow up demented cable rants on here on how 1.5mm is superior to 4mm cable, due to less skin effect and how the electrons don't get lost in the otherwise very wide cable

Gentlemen, can I have your vote, please?

Braid 3 lengths together, twist the bare ends up and stick on banana plugs. You will have more CSA than the 4 mm and it will look way cool. :^

Definitely (a),

(b) :nup: half the music will be still be in the amp, 1.5 mm Pah!

You will not be able to sleep tonight unless you resolve this issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wrap the whole 100m around your body while naked and paint your self in glue.

Then get a craft knife and carefully make a cut right up the back.

You now have a body suit made of cable.

But will my silences be more inky black with the 4mm?

In other words, what is the general consensus?

It won't make any difference. 1.5 mm2 is plenty for 13A mains cable, and the amp can't put out more power than it draws. 4 mm2 would be enough for welding. But if your OCD insists, then just double up or triple up the cable runs - you have plenty of spare cable.

It won't make any difference. 1.5 mm2 is plenty for 13A mains cable, and the amp can't put out more power than it draws ...

Not a strictly valid argument (although I think the answer - that 1.5 mm2 will be fine - is probably correct). Power is drawn from the mains at high voltage and low current. It's supplied to the speakers at lower voltage and higher current. Cable resistance matters more when the voltage is low and the current is high.

Another approach: Measure the DC resistance of your speakers (probably a few ohms). Then measure the DC resistance of your cable (hard to do, because it's so low, but maybe you could join the far ends of the whole 100m together and then measure between the near ends - then use arithmetic to work out what a shorter length would be). If the cable resistance is less than, say, a tenth of the speaker resistance then lowering the cable resistance any further by using fatter cable will deliver essentially no improvement.

VB

You could try A and B, on the basis that when you tell them you've already cut it they might send you what you ordered in the first place and tell you not to bother about sending the other cable back.;-)

But, as has been said, the difference when we're only taking about, what? 2 10m lengths will be negligible. The resistance of the cable will still be way below that of the voice coils.

Cut it into smaller lengths... then deep fry it in Spry Crisp and Dry for 15mins. Top off with liquid caramel (like they do with Twix Bars) - This is the way forward.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdXWlKdBdrvRM4ONuIa_H9By8T9Y10wGKO-FX7ul9E73H1YBhw

In my experience, for what it's worth, any reduction in length will generally outstrip considerations of type (within reason) especially if it's 10 m per side. Get your power amp between the speakers and use longer runs of interconnect. Long (within reason - in my case 10 m per side of Maplin silver co-ax) interconnect and short speaker cables. If you can find a drum of RS silver co-ax, you're away. They don't do it anymore. The copper AV cable (orrible blue skin) is very good though......

Assuming you wanted 2 x 10m lengths then you now have enough cable for 5 x 1.5mm, or no less than 7.5mm CSA

Still, prolly the best thing to do is take all that bluddy string to your local scrappy, as it's prolly worth more by weight than it cost, then buy some decent stuff from your friendly neighbourhood Evil Foo Pusher 509.gif

I agree with this.

Sodders has a way with cables that just make them purr.

So, if youre a cat lover, trade it all in for some unfooed purite purrfect pieces.

or the sculpture idea was also cool.

Guest MallyMad

Make up two 40m runs and put your speakers outside.

Alright, thank you all for the very sensible and considered input.

I have relocated the speakers to the shed and run 50m a side.

Or maybe, I have gone for double runs on each side making it 3mm...