rockmeister

Deafness...so now what happens?

Guest MJ.

Very sorry to hear that RMeister.

Pragmatically reasoning -

Do you feel better sat in front of your Palmer, Luxman and Harbs than your Denon ?

Does the music sound better ?

Do you get more joy out of music than out of holidays, cars, wine and all those other trivial distractions ?

If the answer to all 3 is Yes, keep the posh rig.

If the answer to any one is No, get rid.

Rearrange your room.

Comfy seat in the centre, HiFi on the right, Wifes seat on the left.

You can thank me later.

• Upvote 1

Sell half the kit and go mono john, joking aside and sorry for the pun . Years of playing in rock bands left me with less than perfect hearing in my left ear from standing right stage with two Marshall stacks behind me but it's not something I notice while listening to stereo speakers. As others have said the brain must compensate for it. If you had a £10,000 pair of headphones I would sell them but not your kit mate

Super Wammer
The pragmatic decision is that your hearing is perfectly good enough to appreciate a £12k hi-fi' date=' or likely any £££k hi-fi.

So keep it![/quote']

Exactly

I've an almost useless left ear but very good right and am very much still aware of sound 'quality' and particularly it's absence as I'm sure you must be.

As Serge says, it's surprising what the brain can do with the 'single input' as it were :-)

I would choose whatever values most.

In my case

- my present camera already has sufficient resolution to make nice prints or put on show on a tv screen.

- mobility is arranged by car ownership.

- I have had some holidays already in the past, one more or less would not make an overall difference to quality of life.

I DO listen to music though, every day at least 3 hours.

So, if you're furthermore primarely on the Wam instead of pistonheads, dpreview, or the like, well...

Oh, and if I make it to Scalford, I'll pour you a dram :)

• Upvote 1

My hearing is shagged due to being a rubbish drummer in a succession of crap bands. Zero technique and over enthusiasm led me to smash fuck out of them so everyone else had to play louder to be heard :doh: Both ears are poor but the left especially bad, constant tinnitus... I have a digital hearing aid which I don't use because it's like hearing down a pipe.

My own pragmatic decision is the worse my hearing gets the better / more expensive my audio system has to be.

On a piscatorial note... I Just bought a pair of Delkim bite alarms with volume controls! :D

My brother has a similar problem and has for some time, and it has not got any worse.He still plays music...in fact he has just taught himself to play a keyboard, but super hifi is no better to him than an aveage one...in fact I just helped him choose a Denon mini system which my son has as well which he very much enjoys....

So, it s just a matter of adjusting I guess.....I havesome hearing loss(industrial) and tinitus but I now manage fine...Good luck

My right is ear doesn't have the sensitivity it used to have and I have some tinnitus, but when I sit and listen none of that gets in the way and I still get the enjoyment and sense of involvement with the music that I have always had, and I can still hear the difference between FLAC played on the Sonos/DAC and CD played on the Meridian. I'm sure my son can hear a bigger difference, but WTF, I'm the one that's listening. When I stop getting enjoyment from the system, then I'll sell it - more likely just swap boxes.

one of my hi fi buddies has a lady who is fairly impaired as far as hearing goes. He swears she picks up on minutiae that he misses. Interestingly - she is irritated by incorrect volume settings (cf John Crabbe) and generally crap sound reproduction. Good sound doesn't irritate her. 'Noise' does.

There's more going on here than meets the eye - and the brain has a very funny habit of compensating for deficiencies elsewhere in the chain.

Don't sell a damn thing; I think you'd miss it.

Forget what it is worth in monetary terms, think only of what it is worth to you. Life is short and pleasure is important. If you get pleasure from it, then it doesn't matter if you are not getting 100% - lots of people enjoy owning a noice sports car but without ever being able to drive it to its limits or experience everything it can do.

Only sell if you just are no longer interested in it.

• Upvote 1

Another option would be to ditch the hifi and use the proceeds to invest in a really good set of headphones/headamp. If the source has a balance control so much the better.