The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

hificricketboy

Cart alignment help please!

I got the cart set up with the Baerwald and set tracking force to 2.2g and anti-skate to about 1g (I've read that Rega arms tended to be a bit over zealous with anti skate and during set up even set to zero there was a tendency for the arm to fly to the stop!).

I put on Tracy Chapman - Crossroads as a starter.

The presentation seemed good with plenty of space, possibly some 3D effect and some projection outside the speakers. However my ear was drawn to the fact she was positioned to the right of centre by some distance - probably half way between centre and right hand speaker.

I moved onto a couple of other albums there was a bit of centring up of focus but these were more "wall of sound" type albums.

What impact should I get by:

1. reducing tracking force? This was a bugger to set as it was soooo sensitive!

2. reducing anti skate? This seems a bit random on this arm due to it being a magnet.

Reduce the skating again.

Ignore the numbers and do it by ear - and use a variety of albums that you know well.

I bias mine to just under half the weight but each arm is different.

I also use the Baerwald because IMHO it sounded best with the RB300.

As most of us did not bother to buy/keep the decent tangential etc TT combos, I agree with much of the above.

Get the alignment-gauge-protractors you believe in/your kit manufacturers believe in, and believe in the results/enjoy.

What a bugger though if your favourite track is on the inner-part of the 'band'.

+1 for lazycat.

Knowing the rega I would back off the skate to the absolute minimum and see what that does.

Or, alternatively get hold of a test record. The one I have has an anti skate setting track at the end of side 1, you just adjust the setting until you get a clean tone instead of a warble.

Works for me.

Reduce the skating again.

Ignore the numbers and do it by ear - and use a variety of albums that you know well.

I bias mine to just under half the weight but each arm is different.

I also use the Baerwald because IMHO it sounded best with the RB300.

Once I worked out what I had to do to adjust the cart to the right position the Baerwald seemed to work quite well. I've printed out the Stevenson protractor as well, just as a check. :^

Or, alternatively get hold of a test record. The one I have has an anti skate setting track at the end of side 1, you just adjust the setting until you get a clean tone instead of a warble.

Works for me.

Yes, a test record might not be a bad idea - will invest (again!)... :roll:

For test records apart from great/naff vinyl you know, I recommend-use Ortofon Opus-thangs.

I have a very early version of this one.

http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/hfntlp.htm

This one seems like good value, given some of the prices for used ones on ebay and amazon, and includes an alignment protractor. Expensive, but not outrageously so.

For test records apart from great/naff vinyl you know, I recommend-use Ortofon Opus-thangs.
I have a very early version of this one.

http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/hfntlp.htm

This one seems like good value, given some of the prices for used ones on ebay and amazon, and includes an alignment protractor. Expensive, but not outrageously so.

Thanks for these. The HiFi News Test LP looks pretty good.

I'll hunt down an Ortofon Opus and compare.

Cheers!

Thanks for these. The HiFi News Test LP looks pretty good.

I'll hunt down an Ortofon Opus and compare.

Cheers!

Be careful with the HFN Test LP as I've found it pretty inaccurate on things like the noise isn't pure and the W&F /speed band isn't that accurate either. The one that I've found to be good is The Ultimate Analogue Test LP.

When I queried the accuracy of the HFN one, I was told it wasn't meant for use with measuring instruments, just by ear..........

S.

The thing is Serge, I use my test record to set up by ear.

The OP was talking about setting the anti skate. It might be that the HFN record isn't completely accurate in a measurable sense, but the question you have to ask yourself is, if the instructions say adjust the anti skate till you get what sounds like a clean audible tone instead of a distorted one, how far off optimal is that going to be? Could you get a better result without the test record, and, if so, how?

The thing is Serge, I use my test record to set up by ear.

The OP was talking about setting the anti skate. It might be that the HFN record isn't completely accurate in a measurable sense, but the question you have to ask yourself is, if the instructions say adjust the anti skate till you get what sounds like a clean audible tone instead of a distorted one, how far off optimal is that going to be? Could you get a better result without the test record, and, if so, how?

My point was that the HFN test record is inaccurate, not ineffective. If I have a choice of two test records, both usable by ear, but one inaccurate the other accurate, why would I buy the inaccurate one?

Secondly, the test record might just be used this time for setting bias, but in the future it might be used to set speed, perhaps using something like the Dr Feickert Platterspeed Ap. Using the HFN test disc, the answer will come out slow. It might be used to set up an equaliser using the noise bands. I just don't see any justification for buying an inaccurate LP when there's an accurate alternative.

S.

Thanks Serge, :thumbup: I will bear that in mind.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

One of the reasons I bought my latest arm is so I never have to go through this bollocks again :D

Forgive my naivety, but how does the SME IV get round all this?

And does the HR PSU give a good upgrade over the standard PS?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2