Guest Effem

Are you REALLY happy with your system?

This Hamster reminds me of what getting onto the "Upgrade Train" can become -  "I spend and I spend and I spend....and I listen.....and I've gone nowhere.....NOWHERE!!":

Edited by CnoEvil

Super Wammer

the latest edition of hi fi critic has been very glowing indeed about the 390 , worth reading the article which compares similar integrated from krell and ml . needless to say the hegel won the shootout 

Also written by Andrew Everard, as was the HiFi News review, and the Gramophone one.  And HiFi News then input to the EISA award, and so on.  Not that I distrust AE, quite the opposite, and Hegel always seem to make decent gear.  I’d have probably bought one had it got more analogue inputs!

Absolutely. But there’s still more room for improvement which sometimes I thought never ends.:D

I absolutely worship my main set up, it is relatively modest and only the amp cost more than 1k but it all matches up beautifully 

Edited by knaithrover

Yes I'll agree with me.. xD The previous H360 had rave reviews before the H390, now the 360 sounds like something is wrong with it hearing the new H390.. I'm gullible but not that gullible..9_9 Yes Hegel make brilliant amps, but boy that's pure marketing. ^_^

There's a maxim in marketing and advertising that you should never, ever slag off the opposition, instead just talk about the merits of your own product.

Actually slagging off your own, previous version of a product takes insanity to a new level. Presumably after you've spent nearly five large on an H390, they'll bring out an H420 and tell you that it makes the H390 sound like a tin of nails.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mac I'm very surprised , what are you considering as a replacement for your lovely Harbeths? 

Quite a while ago you mentioned that you might be moving house are you still going to ?

Hi Electro,

We moved to Seaford in Sussex back in May and now have a larger listening room, so may well try the 40.2, but they may be too big... what ever I end up with, will be the last pair I buy.

Mac

Am very happy with the system but not the room. Can’t do much to the room as system is in the living room with a lousy layout for hifi 😢

• Like 1

Two systems that have over the years leap frogged each other are at the moment neck and neck. I'm very happy with both.

Nevertheless, the living room system will have passive bi-amping back in when the bass amp gets back from the menders. On previous experience I'd expect it to edge ahead. After that I can't envisage anything which will make a huge difference. But then I couldn't envisage much improvement possible before I recently started fooling around with DIY interconnects, so who can predict?

I don't think I will be ever happy with my home system. Every time I go to work I am reminded just how limited it is. This is the down sound of working with live sound, although my new KV2 EX15's make great hifi speakers. 

I don't think I will be ever happy with my home system. Every time I go to work I am reminded just how limited it is. This is the down sound of working with live sound, although my new KV2 EX15's make great hifi speakers. 

I used to play drums in a band for some years - and just to reminisce I sometimes sit in the chair in between my loudspeakers (facing the same way with the speakers just a fraction behind me) as that was the sound I used to get playing live - the backline and the foldback with voices.  Puts a big smile on my face - mind you I get as big a smile sitting in the normal hot spot.  I also roadied for a time in the 70s and if anyone thinks they have room problems try sorting out a PA in a hall, large pub or theatre lol. 

I love my system but do swear sometimes at the music production and quality of recordings that I get to play on it though :D  

Hi Electro,

We moved to Seaford in Sussex back in May and now have a larger listening room, so may well try the 40.2, but they may be too big... what ever I end up with, will be the last pair I buy.

Mac

Mac that is Fantastic ! 

I hope you are really enjoying your new home and of course the most important thing the new listening room !

I have tweaked the hell out of my system since we last met especially in the room acoustic department and it has made a huge improvement to the natural reality of the sound produced .

You are welcome to visit again if you like just give me a PM if you want to and we can do a similar thing to before .

Best wishes and good listening Electro .

• Like 1

I am really happy with my system largely because it is a lot less expensive than what I used to have but sounds better (more musical less hifi) and now has some underdog and custom components.

It’s because I have put a personal touch to my two turntables and phono stage that I think makes me love it more. Don’t get me wrong it sounds great but there maybe some psychological effect that is enhancing things. 

Now that I have bought Chris’s AN IO and AN Step-up I have abandoned the move to streaming and amp consolidation and just really enjoying the music on LP. The IO is for me better than when I had the Dynavector DRT-1S.  Maybe the DRT-1S was a little bit heavy on my Audio Note Arm 2/2.