AlanB

Revel M105 Speakers

I was on my second pair of Vandersteen 1c's and after regretting the day I sold the first pair I really thought the second, the new 1ci version, were my last speaker buy. Silly Billy!!

Had the listening room redecorated and very pleased with the outcome. So nice that the Vandersteen's, wonderful sound but not the prettiest of speakers, stood out like a sore thumb in my small 13' x 10'6" too heavily furnished room. They had to go for something that would look nice and sound on a par with my beloved Vandie's. Gee I loved them. :?

So what do I get? First thought was Sonus Faber. Cremona Auditors too expensive and wondered about the Toy floorstanders. Also wondered about Chario's. Spoke to John Roberts at MAX who I've known for nigh on 30 years and knew my room and he suggested I 'have a listen'.

He put me off the Toys as he felt they weren't up to what I wanted. I auditioned the new SF Venere standmount (didn't have the usual SF character) and floorstander (too big, but sounded great). I then heard the little 47 Lab Lens. Tiny with a lovely sound but again not for me. At an earlier visit I heard the much vaunted Guru. Nope!

Walking round the showroom I spotted this beautiful pair of stand mounts with high gloss walnut veneer and beautifully finished. "What are these John?", said I. "Revel M105's. I think they are very special". I'd never set eyes on a pair of Revels before.

On they went and they were love at first sight and sound. Never got to listen to the Chario's.

These small speakers are beautifully finished as I said earlier. They are 87db sensitivity so my 30 wpc Single Ended Class A amp drive them beautifully. They sit on a slim pair of dedicated stands and SWMBO reckons "They are lovely. Even better than your Guarneri's". Blimey, praise indeed. Everything else has been "Alright".

The first thing that one notices is the clarity and openness. Soundstage is very wide and deep....holographic. Soundwise they disappear and fill the room with sound. One feels immersed in the music making and that music is 'interesting'. Considering they only go down to 40hz they sound more and the bottom end is taut and tuneful. Voices are, as we audiophools say, to die for. Very much 'singing just for you' and expressive. The best thing about them for me is the treble. This is where John said they are special. It is very articulate and delicate and never shouts. They produce detail in an extraordinarily natural way. They also have a much wider sweet spot than I am used to. The whole sound spectrum is seamless with, so far, not one nasty. Could these be my last buy speakers? I daren't say 'Yes' but could very well be.

So far three Wammers have visited and been very impressed with them. All three commented on how BIG they sound. Of course they may be being nice to me. :roll:

Anyone looking for lovely looking and sounding pair of standmounts with wife appeal should put these on there 'must hear' list.

I don't have the hang of posting photographs on here but will send them via email to some kind wammer to post on this thread.

Could these be my last buy speakers? I daren't say 'Yes'

No you daren't! :)

I don't have the hang of posting photographs on here but will send them via email to some kind wammer to post on this thread.

I will send you my email by PM Alan, will be happy to post your pics for you.

Nice write up al......... couldnt have put it better myself, have no fear of downsizing to a smaller room,

after hearing the little beauties...........one of the sweetest little standmounts going.

Nice review - what cute little speakers!

I hope to hear them soon. :)

Nice review - what cute little speakers!

I hope to hear them soon. :)

All being well we can get together on Friday.

They are cute but you will amazed at how big they sound.

Look for Jerry's words of wisdom after Friday. :geek:

Thankfully you had your clothes on when you took the photos Alan. :D

Nice speakers by the way. High WAF.

Very nice! Decorating looks good too.:)

Ogee city!

Nice speaks tho:^

Oop yeah they look superb Mr B. how much is a pair of these lovelies then mister ??

amazing looking things, Revel deserve to do well. They have some fab kit. Always been in awe of Unclepuncles Ultima's.

They look and sound even better in the flesh.

one of the nicest small speeks ive ever seen.