Ozexpat

The Home Brew Thread

I've bought my dad a kit for Christmas to utilise the fact he has a lot of storage space and I don't. He also works away a lot so it's a good way to spend time with him if we do it together.

It's comes with a kit of Wherry and I bought some hop extract just because I love a hoppy beer.

One day I hope to expand to the all grain methods to make some great double style IPAs. But for now I'll stick with the kits :)

A little tip if you like a hoppy ale, I have had great success in the past with "dry hopping" Wherry. Buy some East Kent Goldings, Fuggles or any hop you can get from your local home brew store. Once the initial froth (krausen) has dissipated in the Fermenter, throw them in (about 20 grams should do) and leave them for about a week, or until the beer is ready for barreling/bottling . It adds a staggering aroma and great "bite" on the tongue without any added bitterness.

I brewed all my own beer and lager (even under yeast types) when I lived in Sweden.

I infected several indigenous friends and colleagues with the hobby and many of them still brew to this day.

It can be a very addictive hobby indeed.

I gave up with priorities of family / moving back to the UK. Just buy ready made / what I fancy now. Usually that is lager in summer and bitter / ale in winter.

If you've got the gear try doing wine too.

We're bottling the 2013 elderberry this weekend, developing

into a rival for Barossa valley Shiraz from the prelim tasting, ready next

autumn.

I did very well with a wine made from kiwi fruits once. If you're going to make wine I think you need to use non-grape fruits - grapes are expensive and need a fair bit of work to get right, whereas one makes allowances for wine from other fruit, and at worst you can use the result to make some fun cocktails!

I did very well with a wine made from kiwi fruits once. If you're going to make wine I think you need to use non-grape fruits - grapes are expensive and need a fair bit of work to get right, whereas one makes allowances for wine from other fruit, and at worst you can use the result to make some fun cocktails!

Unsurprisingly the P pod and nettle became a punch base, 15.5% so i couldn't bring myself to bin it.

Well, the Wherry went down extremely well (40 pints single handedly in 2 weeks; it was christmas after all :) ) so brew number 2 of my brewing rebirth started tonight. This time it's a Muntons Gold IPA, made to be halfway between 'Troops Tipple' (4.5%) and 'Upper Ranks Reserve' (6.0%)

I'm also going to have my first attempt at dry hopping, probably with some Goldings.

Fingers crossed for a tasty result. :nerves:

I gave up brewing at home many years back and still have a tea chest full of neatly layered 1pt brown bottles, many of them with screw-in/rubber washered closures.

They are here in Hungerford, J14 of the M4 and free to any 'wammer who wishes to collect them.

• Upvote 1

My IPA has been in the fermenter for a week now. I brewed it from an all-grain kit, Challenger and Fuggles hops, S-04 yeast. Planning to brew English Porter after Scalford :)

Nice memory - c. 18 pints of best home-brew to go, before I have to go-out/buy-in manufactured stuff.

All within usually over a year 21-28 units weekly.

Will give my 2 clean sterilised barrels etc to local charity-shop/again meet real people in real overpriced pubs.