Ozexpat

The Home Brew Thread

Is there an easy, "home brew for dummies" kit?

This^^^^

Or if you are more likely to drink from bottles...

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Coopers_5_gallons_English_Bitter_Starter_kit.html

These are pretty much foolproof. If you go for the Coopers kit ask them and they will substitue any beer you fancy. I bought one of these for my cousin and swapped the Coops Ale for a Wherry :^

But can I make a pigs ear of it! IE: make a mess of it, a waste of £70

Or is it foolproof?

But can I make a pigs ear of it! IE: make a mess of it, a waste of £70

Or is it foolproof?

The Coopers kit comes witha How To video and written instructions. Providing you clean and sanatise everything and follow the temperature guidlines, you will produce beer :^

The thing with both of these is that most of the kit is reusable. So even if you make poison (highly unlikely) you only need to purchase the brew kit cans (£20 or less) and try again.

Any issues or questions you may have, have a look here http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/index.php There is a wealth of experience and info. Or post them here.

I am drinking my fourth all-grain brew and I must say it is my first brew that tastes like proper beer, I mean it resembles a beer style :) "English Porter". It has the body, it has the right amount of hops, not the colour though. I guess the Carafa grains should be in the mash for a bit longer. I think I am happy :)

porter400_zpsc15aca40.jpg

A friend of mine who introduced me to home brewing, gave me a nice tip. He suggested that I should cool down the wort much more after boiling, I mean I only cooled it down to 24-25C, he said it was waaay to high, that is where the off-flavours came from. He said I should cool it down as low as possible for the yeast to kick off.

I am drinking my fourth all-grain brew and I must say it is my first brew that tastes like proper beer, I mean it resembles a beer style :) "English Porter". It has the body, it has the right amount of hops, not the colour though. I guess the Carafa grains should be in the mash for a bit longer. I think I am happy :)

porter400_zpsc15aca40.jpg

A friend of mine who introduced me to home brewing, gave me a nice tip. He suggested that I should cool down the wort much more after boiling, I mean I only cooled it down to 24-25C, he said it was waaay to high, that is where the off-flavours came from. He said I should cool it down as low as possible for the yeast to kick off.

Good work.

Most Ale yeasts work best between 18-21 deg C. Lower and the ferment is sluggish, above that and you can get "off" flavours.

If you want a darker colour without adding harsh coffee bitterness try Carafa Special III. Black as a very black thing but with only a hint of burnt toffee and coffee. Either mash it normally in with the usual grains or seperately steep it in warm water then add the resultant liquid to the boil.

Cheers Terry.

For this brew I used an all-grain kit from a homebrewing shop in Poland. I am sticking to ready AG kits for a couple of brews more.

This one was:

3.6 kg pale ale from Weyermann

0.3 kg Caraaroma

0.1 kg Carafa Type I.

plus Challenger, Fuggles and S-04.

I do want to try a Fuller's London Porter clone some time in the future (from G.Wheeler's book). I will also experiment with the Carafa Type III malt for sure, English style porters are one of my favourites.

By the way, out of four brews I have done to date (20 litres each), two bottles went bad. I guess there must have been some uninvited guests inside the bottles, the beer was foaming like crazy.

Cheers Terry.

For this brew I used an all-grain kit from a homebrewing shop in Poland. I am sticking to ready AG kits for a couple of brews more.

This one was:

3.6 kg pale ale from Weyermann

0.3 kg Caraaroma

0.1 kg Carafa Type I.

plus Challenger, Fuggles and S-04.

I do want to try a Fuller's London Porter clone some time in the future (from G.Wheeler's book). I will also experiment with the Carafa Type III malt for sure, English style porters are one of my favourites.

By the way, out of four brews I have done to date (20 litres each), two bottles went bad. I guess there must have been some uninvited guests inside the bottles, the beer was foaming like crazy.

That sounds fairly typical of infection. If it's only a couple then don't worry too much. Just spend a little more time sanatising next time.

Good luck - stick within c. 40 pints monthly of e.g. £7.50 for 40 pints Wilkinsons Newkie + 69p bag sugar guidelines ...

Managed to polish off 2 x 40 pint barrels of pale and dark ales (what with visitors an' all ;-)) over the last 10 days.

I bottled another batch in early December (36 pints) but I tasted one last week and it tasted like shit. By the acidic sharpness, I can only think it's an infection (yes, it happens). I will try another in a couple of days and see. Not happy :(