yoda900

Project Pre Box RS Preamplifier

I use this one: http://www.ankaka.com/english/USD/incredible-20000mah-battery-charger-universal-portable-battery_p409.html

I didn't buy it specifically for this purpose, I was actually using it to power my Beresford Bushmaster DAC and SB Touch (it will power them simultaneously) pretty nifty. I no longer use either in my main system but when I did, the battery lasted a while, like a week. Honestly, as soon as I saw the type of power connecter the Project had, it was my first thought to try this.

A couple of things to mention: I believe this is the highest (or amongst) the highest capacity batteries of this type. You are looking at charging it on a daily basis or every 2nd day depending on usage. So a larger capacity battery would be good, but I think it's more a case of the pre-amp having high power draw (compared to the SB Touch and Beresford) rather than any inadequacy on the battery's part.

Second thing is this battery only outputs 3 different voltages, 5V, 12V and 19V I think. The Project standard power-supply is 18V. I feed it with 19V and no problems so far. Am I shortening its life? Will it one day blow up and go on fire? I don't know is the answer. Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but still something to be aware of.

The battery is very easy to use and charge, and charges quickly from dead (1 hour maybe) you need a European adaptor at the wall that's all. It comes with all these different heads so it will double up as a laptop power supply. I tested it and got 4 hours with max brightness and quite active use of the WI-FI. So handy to take travelling etc.

Of course, all this hassle is not without purpose. I can only speak subjectively but for me it was a clear improvement sound-wise. Anyway, it is a fairly cheap experiment to try at around £80 delivered and could probably flog it on here if you feel it comes up short.

Guest Alex A

Interesting. 19V should be absolutely fine - the user manual states 18-20V.

I don't see a mini-XLR connector in that set. How did you connect it to the Pro-Ject?

Alex, I had to google what a mini-XLR connecter looked like. This is not the type of connection you need for the Project unless we are calling the same thing by a different name. The adaptor heads ( don't know what else to call them) come with one that fits the Project, I have it connected just now. Unless they changed this recently.

Guest BD Audio

Also any news on the highly anticipated linear psu for the pre?

I've just been told to expect the power supplies in August but nothing more concrete. As soon as I know I'll let you know! :^

not quite the same, but I recently bought the project RS phono stage -beuuuuuutiful sound absolute bargain £649.00,

I have the RS phono stage too and love it. The positive comments here are pushing me towards trying the pre.

Chris

I've just been told to expect the power supplies in August but nothing more concrete. As soon as I know I'll let you know! :^

Henley Designs say they expect shipments to arrive early September - they have supposedly reserved one for me to demo.

Alex, I had to google what a mini-XLR connecter looked like. This is not the type of connection you need for the Project unless we are calling the same thing by a different name. The adaptor heads ( don't know what else to call them) come with one that fits the Project, I have it connected just now. Unless they changed this recently.

Yes they have changed the connector to a mini XLR - I have purchased the battery and have been trying to source a connector. It's been quite a journey in that you cant get a mini xlr to 25mm barrel connector as standard so you'd need to have one made up. Also because mini xlr used as power supplies is a new thing, the added problem is that the internet has no wiring info for mini xlr's used as power connectors...

Pro-ject have been (understandably) cautious about giving out wiring/polarity details (i.e. they wont give them out)

...however the good news is I have found a company to do it and I have an appointment with the electrical wholesaler on Friday so should have the connector done then touch wood - if I achieve I'll post the suppliers details and then others can just order the connector from them if they wish to go the battery route or build one yourselves for the DIY ers.

I have managed to source a company who can make up the mini xlr power cable. If anyone wants the details please PM me

I tried the battery last night for a quick listen and As Jmack75 says a definite improvement ... More when I've had a little more time with it.

Has anyone tried this preamp with passive speakers and what was the result, worth considering?

I tried it briefly with some Focals - I was demo'ing against an MFA Baby Ref and both of us agreed the Pro -ject wasn't far off the passive - astonishing considering the price difference of 6k versus £600!

BTW anyone considering the battery should know what the total cost now 'might be' from my experience

battery £60

Postage £27 ( they had to DHL it)

customs £15 (if you get caught)

custom power cable £40 ( if you have mini xlr connector)

Not far short of £150,

Still a bargain compared with the Pro-ject PSU which is €399. The UK electrical wholesalers said they wouldn't have a hope of competing with a battery like that priced at £60 - they were talking £300 or more.

You could also get standard SLA 12v and 6v batteries and wire them in series to give you 18vdc which would be a lot cheaper

Absolutely - cable wouldn't be too hard to DIY either - not something I wanted to take a risk on personally :nerves: