yoda900

Project Pre Box RS Preamplifier

For some reason I can't open that document - I'll try it in my PC later

it does say they found the soundstage limited and of course the mfa you have has a MASSIVE soundstage but then it cost 10 times as much !

Guest Alex A

I haven't found that at all, compared with an MFA pre and a Django pre. The Pro-ject is just as good IME. HFC also point out that the power amp seems to be the limiting factor in that regard, not the Pre:

The only significant criticism I have of the Pre Box RS and Amp Box RS is that the sound stage is somewhat limited. The placement of musicians and instruments is good and smaller scale Work like the Knopfler album are generally convincing. Switch to the rather larger The Cinematic Orchestra Presents In Motion Vol 1, the spellbinding Manhatra is left lacking some of the air and space that a full orchestra needs to really shine.

Removing the Pre RS from the system and connecting the CLiC directly to the Amp Box RS seems to keep this behavior in place, whereas connecting the CLiC and the Pre RS to Cambridge Audio's 851A acting as a power amp via a fixed input seemed to bypass it. This suggests that this slightly constrained performance is down to the power amp.

it does say they found the soundstage limited and of course the mfa you have has a MASSIVE soundstage but then it cost 10 times as much !

Phil, you're completely ignoring matching. The RS is an excellent match to actives due to its very low output impedance. The MFA, good as it is, is a poor match with actives and will not produce the same results.

It really annoys me when reviewers present findings as if they are somehow absolutes which will apply evenly in any context or set up. Poor and uninformed journalism in my humble opinion.

Want one! :love: It has been on my radar for a while, I'm toying with the idea for the second system with Adam F5 actives & as a backup for the main rig. The only slight hole in its spec from my point of view is the lack of a unity gain/HT input.

Phil, you're completely ignoring matching. The RS is an excellent match to actives due to its very low output impedance. The MFA, good as it is, is a poor match with actives and will not produce the same results.

It really annoys me when reviewers present findings as if they are somehow absolutes which will apply evenly in any context or set up. Poor and uninformed journalism in my humble opinion.

Also the review infers it is the amp not the preamp causing the soundstage issue *EDIT apologies I see this point has already been made*. I tried the Pro- ject pre in a completely different fairly high end system at the weekend ; even then up against the MFA it stood up for itself and the other person (with zero pre knowledge of the project) commented on how wide the soundstage was.

As Crimson says it's all about system matching - look at how Music First demo their amps - a rather weird and wonderful mix of components but they all work to produce a wonderful sound that helps sell the MFA.

Henley Designs say the PSU available next month and sorting me a demo I'll keep this thread posted

Have just installed this pre-amp in my system and I am really happy with it. Big improvements all-round, nice design. It was an ex-dem model £499 including delivery. In terms of value for money this is 10/10 and sonically I can only compare it to the Auralic Vega direct into the speakers and a Puresound L10 pre-amp. It is quite a bit better than both, although with the Puresound I suspect the difference is down to impedance matching being better with the Project and the Opals as the Puresound has sounded excellent in other systems.

Decided to try running it of a DC battery @ 19V, even though power supply supplies 18V. Nothing has gone on fire so I'm assuming it will tolerate this small difference in voltage input.

Substantial across the board improvements in bass, soundstage, accuracy and has removed the last traces of sibiliance I could hear on some recordings. Simply now I am not listening analytically but just appreciating the music. I'm sure there are gains to be had with upgrading but the law of diminishing returns has definitely set in now and for what I've spent it's hard to imagine getting more sound-wise without getting into the crazy money bracket. So this will probably be the last upgrade. Only thing of interest on the horizon is the Auralic Aries, but that will have to be very good to get me to part with the cash.

how many hours do you think they would last , presumably one has to send back to the factory for replacement

hi fi choice did a review here

https://docs.google.com/a/interdyn.com.au/file/d/0B1-ODTJdxnndUGJEZXdOb3NJcjA/edit?pli=1

Those valves don't look soldered in to me. They look like standard B9A PCB mount valve holders so the valves should just unplug. Could be wrong, but it would be a crazy manufacturing decision to solder in the valves.

S

Guest Alex A

Looks like you're correct. Just assumed that was an integral base, but it seems not :doh:

So, any one rolled the EH 6922 tubes out of their pre box and tried something anything else? Always found EH tubes safe and reliable oem fit but a bit flat and thin sounding relative to alternatives.

Also any news on the highly anticipated linear psu for the pre?

Guest BD Audio

Hi Wayne, you've jogged my memory on that, I'll email them now!

I am currently running this off a DC battery which has yielded a substantial improvement. Well worth a try, only disadvantage is that depending on the type and your level of usage you may be looking at recharging the battery on a daily basis. What is for certain though is that it will be superior to any smoothing power supply. You simply cannot get any cleaner than pure DC from a battery. A battery of this sort is obtainable for <£100. I imagine an "audiophile" power supply will be substantially more. Something to think about.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

not quite the same, but I recently bought the project RS phono stage -beuuuuuutiful sound absolute bargain £649.00,

Guest Alex A
I am currently running this off a DC battery which has yielded a substantial improvement. Well worth a try, only disadvantage is that depending on the type and your level of usage you may be looking at recharging the battery on a daily basis. What is for certain though is that it will be superior to any smoothing power supply. You simply cannot get any cleaner than pure DC from a battery. A battery of this sort is obtainable for <£100. I imagine an "audiophile" power supply will be substantially more. Something to think about.

That's interesting John. What specific battery and associated components (wiring/charger) are you using? How did you hook up a mini-XLR connector? How are you charging the battery? i.e. How practical is it to implement?