yoda900

Project Pre Box RS Preamplifier

You could also get standard SLA 12v and 6v batteries and wire them in series to give you 18vdc which would be a lot cheaper

Bought a Project Pre RS and hooked it up to my SLA batteries and have to tell you that it drains them within minutes so please ignore my earlier suggestion.

Great preamp tho'

I use this one: http://www.ankaka.com/english/USD/incredible-20000mah-battery-charger-universal-portable-battery_p409.html

I didn't buy it specifically for this purpose, I was actually using it to power my Beresford Bushmaster DAC and SB Touch (it will power them simultaneously) pretty nifty. I no longer use either in my main system but when I did, the battery lasted a while, like a week. Honestly, as soon as I saw the type of power connecter the Project had, it was my first thought to try this.

A couple of things to mention: I believe this is the highest (or amongst) the highest capacity batteries of this type. You are looking at charging it on a daily basis or every 2nd day depending on usage. So a larger capacity battery would be good, but I think it's more a case of the pre-amp having high power draw (compared to the SB Touch and Beresford) rather than any inadequacy on the battery's part.

Second thing is this battery only outputs 3 different voltages, 5V, 12V and 19V I think. The Project standard power-supply is 18V. I feed it with 19V and no problems so far. Am I shortening its life? Will it one day blow up and go on fire? I don't know is the answer. Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but still something to be aware of.

The battery is very easy to use and charge, and charges quickly from dead (1 hour maybe) you need a European adaptor at the wall that's all. It comes with all these different heads so it will double up as a laptop power supply. I tested it and got 4 hours with max brightness and quite active use of the WI-FI. So handy to take travelling etc.

Of course, all this hassle is not without purpose. I can only speak subjectively but for me it was a clear improvement sound-wise. Anyway, it is a fairly cheap experiment to try at around £80 delivered and could probably flog it on here if you feel it comes up short.

John, is this the same type of battery that you are using:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/20000mAh-Ultra-High-Multi-Voltage-Notebooks-Compatible-Silver/dp/B00BUJCMUQ

£60 delivered

Ordered on of those, and having listened to it for 2-3 days I'm impressed. Makes a good preamp even better. You certainly notice an audible difference when its runs out and you have to go back on mains.

I remember the Ankaka was considered superior to the Anker, the Anker would cut out sometimes when it was used with the Beresford. Some people had to wire a light bulb in series with it to remain stable. I expect you wouldn't have that same issue with the higher voltage draw from the Project. CrimsonDonkey did you buy the Anker? It's pretty cheap compared to the Ankaka, which I understand anyway is now discontinued.

Yep I originally tried to order the Ankaka and was told they had discontinued it (bad timing on their part), and so bought the Anker from Amazon for £60. It has lifted the already very good pre up another level. In my experience and opinion the RS would embarrass preamps at many multiples of its cost.

Yep I originally tried to order the Ankaka and was told they had discontinued it (bad timing on their part), and so bought the Anker from Amazon for £60. It has lifted the already very good pre up another level. In my experience and opinion the RS would embarrass preamps at many multiples of its cost.

How long does a charge last when powering the Box RS. the pre drained my SLA batteries in a very short time. Also I have read that it is only good foe 1000 recharges but that should be OK. What sort of improvements do you get over the supplied wallwart?

I reckon its about 4 hours. I think 1000 charges would last me about 4-5 years for £60.

Improvement is subtle but audible. Need to go back to wallwart to confirm but mostly theres a little bit more body to imaging, and things like percussion sound better.

Trying to figure whether it would be just as well running it from a linear regulated power supply:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400750448842?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No worries about recharging and running the battery continually at its maximum output mmmm!

I've gone for the linear supply to save the hassle of recharging and possible sound degradation as the battery discharges and also as it has a finite lifespan. Might be the wrong decision but unless the battery gives a major improvement then I'm not too bothered as long as it gets the SMPS out of the circuit.

Would be interesting to hear battery versus linear power supply side-by side. I agree if the power supply gets 90% of the sound quality of the battery I would accept that for the convenience factor. For now I'll stick with the battery.

Have you tried rolling the tubes in your pre RS. I haven't checked mine but I think the come with Electro Harmonix 6922's. Did you find any improvements and if so with what tubes.