yoda900

Project Pre Box RS Preamplifier

On 25/11/2015 at 11:50, jeromelang said:

Those who are using external project psu to power your project DAC box, cd box, pre box or amp boxes - do check the directionality of the psu cable.

It makes very audible sonic difference when the power supply flow direction is plugged correctly.

Just in case you see this thread as it's been bumped, how exactly do you do this? The cables give no indication of "directionality" that I can see.

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but I'm looking for a RS Pre Box and wondered whether any of you happy buyers on this thread may now be tempted to sell.

Cheers, Steve

Hi! I was wondering if the Pre Box has a permanent tube-related humming. I has the Schiit Freya and ended up tired of listening to that noise..., thanks!

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, gonzalo1004es said:

Hi! I was wondering if the Pre Box has a permanent tube-related humming. I has the Schiit Freya and ended up tired of listening to that noise..., thanks!

You had a bad tube, or tubes.  I had that experience.  Pro-ject replaced the tubes under warranty.   I then ordered the "gold" level, hand tested tubes from Upscale Audio, and the preamp is as quiet as a mouse.  https://www.upscaleaudio.com/pages/grading-matching

Sometimes you pay a little more and get a whole lot more in return.

Edited by GeneZ

13 hours ago, GeneZ said:

You had a bad tube, or tubes.  I had that experience.  Pro-ject replaced the tubes under warranty.   I then ordered the "gold" level, hand tested tubes from Upscale Audio, and the preamp is as quiet as a mouse.  https://www.upscaleaudio.com/pages/grading-matching

Sometimes you pay a little more and get a whole lot more in return.

Thanks GeneZ! The Schiit Freya I had exhibited that soft humming no matter what tubes were used, I tried several and the noise was always there Schiit clearly told me that it was completely normal to have a small amount of noise due to the tubes. From what you said, I assume that the Pre Box also hums a bit with the stock tubes? Thanks again!

57 minutes ago, gonzalo1004es said:

I assume that the Pre Box also hums a bit with the stock tubes? Thanks again!

Just to say that I have been running this pre-amp since its launch.

Stock valves, stock power supply, used for several hours each day.

Never heard any hum.

You don't say if the Schiit hum was from the unit itself or introduced into the playback system?

ronnie

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, gonzalo1004es said:

Thanks GeneZ! The Schiit Freya I had exhibited that soft humming no matter what tubes were used, I tried several and the noise was always there Schiit clearly told me that it was completely normal to have a small amount of noise due to the tubes. From what you said, I assume that the Pre Box also hums a bit with the stock tubes? Thanks again!

When new, the Pre Box was quite as a mouse.   The tubes began to age a little and got a rushing noise.  Contacted the American distributor, and under warranty replaced the tubes.  No hum with replacement tubes.

Just the same I ordered specially hand picked/ tested tubes from Upscale Audio and the preamp is as quiet as my quiet solid state preamps.  If you are willing to spend a little bit more for a perfectionist to test and pick your tubes?  https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/vacuum-tubes

Edited by GeneZ

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, gonzalo1004es said:

yes , my freya is superb in passive form but despite me changing the tubes it does have a bit of noise in valve form . I gave up trying to sell it due to this aspect and just keep it as a backup now although its in use currently  

55 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

yes , my freya is superb in passive form but despite me changing the tubes it does have a bit of noise in valve form . I gave up trying to sell it due to this aspect and just keep it as a backup now although its in use currently  

I had a Freya for a short while.   Never any hum.  I did not care for the sound on my system, so I returned it.  But,  never any hum.

Makes me wonder.    When I switch off my Pre Box and leave the amp on, then I hear hum.  But, turn on the Pre again?  The hum is gone.   Your amp is possibly seeing something switched off?

I never got hum with the Freya. If you want to send it to me to see if I get hum with yours,  you may have a case for Schiit to deal with.  That is not practical.  Maybe someone you know might try it to see if they do not get hum.   But,  it may have something to do with your placement? 

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

not so much hum as slight valve noise in speaker , the actual unit is as quiet as a mouse 

https://www.audioshark.org/pre-amps-9/schiit-freya-16058.html

Edited by hifinutt

2 hours ago, hifinutt said:

not so much hum as slight valve noise in speaker , the actual unit is as quiet as a mouse 

https://www.audioshark.org/pre-amps-9/schiit-freya-16058.html

Would you please rephrase that ambiguous, seeming contradictory statement?    Hum is noise.  Noise is noise.  What is the noise you hear?   Valve noise?  You mean a rushing sound? 

2 hours ago, hifinutt said:

I ain't knocking the hymns
Just give me a song that moves my feet
I don't like none of those funeral marches ..larry norman

Thot you might appreciate this with tubes...:geek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEUIZWyieAk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GeneZ said:

I had a Freya for a short while.   Never any hum.  I did not care for the sound on my system, so I returned it.  But,  never any hum.

Makes me wonder.    When I switch off my Pre Box and leave the amp on, then I hear hum.  But, turn on the Pre again?  The hum is gone.   Your amp is possibly seeing something switched off?

I never got hum with the Freya. If you want to send it to me to see if I get hum with yours,  you may have a case for Schiit to deal with.  That is not practical.  Maybe someone you know might try it to see if they do not get hum.   But,  it may have something to do with your placement? 

I tried different amps, and the noise was always there, very soft, but there. The Freya's manual also mentions that as normal, so it was the nature of it. In my case, listening only to classica music was annoying, every time you had a pianissimo passage you heard it...

Super Wammer

yes , its annoying isnt it . thats my experience