Sign in to follow this  
Miller-8

pre/power or integrated?

pre/power or integrated?   39 members have voted

1. 1. pre/power or integrated?

• pre/power
    • integrated

Super Wammer

One of the things I don't understand is that manufacturers don't build multi-room functionality into their pre's. A couple do but the majority don't but the capacity to run more than one power of a pre would be very useful and save having to think about complex multi-room installations.

Super Wammer

my pre will run 5? powers

Super Wammer

5 independently? - different source component in different room? - separately controllable volume in each room?

Super Wammer

5? as in why 5, 4 or 6 for bi/tri ampingm 2 for monoblocks, 4 for bi amp monoblock why 5

cjr wrote:

Always believed that below £2000 rrp that Intgerateds offer more than Pre-powers (IMHO) once you get above that you get some inetresting pre-powers that rival or beat same cost Integrateds.

FWIW, i had an MF A3.2 integrated, then moved onto the pre/power version, dont really think it was any better...............especially asthey costtwice the price of the integrated.

Super Wammer

Its pre/power every time for me but that's not to say its for everyone. Whilst spending what seems like forever putting together an AV system that plays 'hifi' I tried a lot of power amps and it really is amazing the differences you experience.

It was only a matter of time before my Hifi system took the same route. I can't imagine ever going back to an integrated now.

I love my preamp and if I ever want to upgrade I can just change the power amp without changing the control or functionality of the system.

In a former life, I had first the Musical Fidelity a5 intergrated and then the a5 pre + pwr combo.

Whilst that A5 intergrated was good, the pre + pwr combo was in another class in terms of soundtage and separation of instruments and vocals.

I now run a pair of monoblocks, so you can guess which camp I'm in, in the voting options above.

Super Wammer

godlau wrote:

shd add one more category - integrated+power....

Godlau - pleased with the Supernait?

Strat