Sign in to follow this  
Bracko

Jazz recommendation

If you've never been a Jazz fan can I recommend an introductory album that you simply must buy.

Horace Silver - Song for my Father

If you know it already, you'll probably know why I have recommended it. If you don't know it, stop what you're doing and go and buy it NOW.

The opening track is a song titled as the album and imo is one of the best jazz tunes I have ever heard.

I went to a jazz club/bistro in Bristol with a few friends and I asked the band to play this. Every single person stood up it was absolutely buzzing.

BUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYIT

lordsummit wrote:

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers Moanin'

superb album, in fact I have yet to hear blakey and the messengers do anything bad.

Guest purplepleaser

hi , a friend at work played some lester young i think, sounded exellent. has anybody got any albums or experience . not to sure where to start as i have looked and seen compliations and many full albums . any really stand out tracks or albums...need steering in the right direction.......... cheers lee

Bit of a tricky one, Lester Young. Many people would say his best work was with the pre-war Basie band. He only made records under his own name after the war, when his performances were patchy, to say the least. There is a compilation selected by Wayne Shorter, which ought to be OK, but I haven't heard it. Why not get the one your mate has? (and let us know what it is).

RJdio wrote:

Just got Oscar Peterson - Night Train (some from HFC suggested it sometime ago) one word - WOW!!

ditto bought it yesterday

I have just taken delivery of a Buddy rich compilation. It really isn't to my taste at all. If anyone would like it PM me you address and I'll stick it in the post to you.

Cheers,

JAmes.

f anyone else can recommend Jazz albums for a newbie that would be great!

I love Kind Of Blue, but I'll probably get slated as it's so obvious :P

I tried Sketches of Spain and Birth of Cool but they didn't have the same feel :(

Thanks in advance!

How about some Coltrane?

Giant Steps... and then try A Love Supreme

Most things pale into insignificance after hearing the latter :D