super domestique

? blown phono stage

hi all,

Would be grateful for any insight as to what may be the problem.

I was playing a record when I lifted the stylus off the record, then heard a pop and some crackles. I thought

Nothing of it, put a new record on, and no sound. Tried all the obvious checking of cables and connections but couldn't find any problem. The cartridge and stylus seem intact and undamaged and the preamp, amp and speakers are definitely ok. The lights on the phono front panel are still on incidently.

when brushing the stylus with a brush there is no sound coming from speakers.

As luck would have it, I was planning on buying a new phono next week anyway, my biggest fear is that there is a stylus, cartridge problem

My system is as follows:

Clearaudio avantgarde

Lyra delos

Clearaudio basic plus

Pass labs xp 10

Gamut d200mk3

Wilson benesch trinity

Thanking you in advance

SD

One simple test to see if the phono stage is working:-

Unplug the cartridge cable from the phon stage input, and plug in an ordinary interconnect. With the volume control VERY LOW, touch the inner of one of the phono plugs of the interconnect. There should be an audible hum when you touch it. Do the same for the other channel. If you get hum on both channels, then the phono stage is working.

S.

I am sure you have checked it, but the pop sound as you lifted the stylus off the record could mean that the cartridge pins have come loose from the tags - if they are not tight then just lifting the stylus can have this effect. This happened to me, although in my case I only lost one channel not all sound. Just a thought anyway.

The indicator lamps being illuminated on both the PSU and phono stage main unit obviously suggest it's getting power OK. I don't know the circuit, but I'd expect the indicator LED to take its power from the same source that runs the electronics.

Serge's suggestion first. Also do the same for the connection from phono to pre-amp. I believe the XP-10 uses digital or relay switching for inputs, so possibly a failed input or selector on the pre-amp? Try the phono stage output into a different input on the pre and see what happens.