My Shiny New Bit of Kit thread.....tell us what you've bought.

16 minutes ago, Gromit said:

When this is going for a song, it's a wee bit hard to resist. Still - imvho - the combo...

DSCF0154 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

I regret selling that lens.  I might buy another one day. 

• Like 2

47493877771_c4c2e795cc_o.jpg

Canon 70-200L F4 IS II by Tillman Kleinhans  ARPS EFIAP/b  DPAGB BPE3*, on Flickr

Much lighter to carry around than the F2.8 version, it'll now become part of my travel kit.  I'll still keep the F2.8 lens for those occasions when I don't have to carry it around all day! .

• Like 3

Ricoh GRiii

60506BBD-D807-4D6A-89D6-F13237481D97.thumb.jpeg.659228c36812d6de03e8ce6615fccfab.jpegPocketable replacement for the Leica Q, it feels just right 😉

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bolts said:

Ricoh GRiii 

pocketable replacement for the Leica Q, it feels just right 😉

Replacement or supplement Ben ?

2 hours ago, Sumdumgi said:

Replacement or supplement Ben ?

Replacement Les, the Q is no more. I absolutely loved that camera and it went everywhere with me, but as time went on I realised it wasn’t that much smaller than my DSLR and the size limited the times I would actually take it out to take a shot.  GRiii is touted as a ‘street shooter’ camera but I think that’s underselling it’s utility - great lens, effective 28mm and tons of options in a tiny form means it ought to be just a good camera to have in your pocket; X 100 but smaller 😉 ...well that’s the theory anyway. I’ll shoot it to death over the next few weeks and let you all know how I get on.  Also, this is a camera I can chuck in alongside the DSLR and really not have to worry about the extra weight or bulk.

2 minutes ago, Bolts said:

Replacement Les, the Q is no more. I absolutely loved that camera and it went everywhere with me, but as time went on I realised it wasn’t that much smaller than my DSLR and the size limited the times I would actually take it out to take a shot.  GRiii is touted as a ‘street shooter’ camera but I think that’s underselling it’s utility - great lens, effective 28mm and tons of options in a tiny form means it ought to be just a good camera to have in your pocket; X 100 but smaller 😉 ...well that’s the theory anyway. I’ll shoot it to death over the next few weeks and let you all know how I get on.  Also, this is a camera I can chuck in alongside the DSLR and really not have to worry about the extra weight or bulk.

Interested to see how you get on :^

17 minutes ago, Bolts said:

It does look really hopeful.  Such a shame that the Fuji equivalent was so underwhelming.

Have you seen the new Q? It looks absolutely stunning. 

I haven't had the Q2 in my hands but it does look quite step up on the Q - at a price of course.  Essentially though you're still getting that amazing  28mm f/1.7 lens with a free camera body ;) 

On 03/05/2019 at 08:52, Bolts said:

I haven't had the Q2 in my hands but it does look quite step up on the Q - at a price of course.  Essentially though you're still getting that amazing  28mm f/1.7 lens with a free camera body ;) 

The thing I only just noticed now is that they dropped the price of the original Q to £3,700.  As you say, not bad for a 28mm summilix. 

https://www.leicastore-uk.co.uk/products/leica-q

Not something I thought I'd do when it 1st came out, but the more I've read about it and the further it has been updated since it's release the more I have wanted one. So I just ordered a Sony A9. I'll be using my existing lenses adapted with the Sigma MC-11 to start off. 

I hope it'll replace my 1DX...

1dx-a9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, unintended1 said:

I hope it'll replace my 1DX...

I bet you do Keith ! I had no idea they are that big .

18 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

I bet you do Keith ! I had no idea they are that big .

I'll actually be adding a battery grip to the Sony but it'll still be smaller and lighter. Eventually I plan to replace my Sigma 150-600mm Sport with a Sony 100-400mm GM + 1.4x teleconverter which is much smaller and lighter. But I'll need to wait a while to be able to afford it now! 

The main thing I want from the Sony is an EVF. Particularly the A9 EVF which is completely blackout free which should make shooting birds in flight a joy. 20 fps and a stunning focus system helps as well :)

Edit to add: I just hope I can get on with the ergonomics of the Sony. It's going to be very different to the Canon 1DX which I love.

Edited by unintended1
  • Like 1

Nice one, Keith - from what I've read (and seeing images taken with it) the A9 is a beast. I really like my A7RIII - sure its ergos aren't as friendly as they could be but they're a vast improvement on the Mk2's. A grip helps no end.