Ian Sampson

Tom Sharpe R.I.P.

Sensible advice to Wilt-series of 5 first ... oddly enough, continued yesterday after TS's 1st 2 with his/my next 14.  He was often a good writer

Fine ideas/bit over-rude/bit lacking in observations of e.g. nature/'time' ...

Having read his 1st 2 very recently again again (the south African ones...), I did his 3rd 'Porterhouse Blue' again again just before Christmas 2016.

Its successor - book 12 of 16 Sharpes - I read yesterday 'Grantchester Grind' 490 pp - again, lots of fine stuff/lacking in relevancies-nature ...

E.g. GG was published about 23 years after (televised eventually - must get vids. to re-see...) PB.

In follow-up set about ? months later, no-one smokes a pipe or 30/everyone is on internet (no mobile phones though...)/hard to fathom where 1974-1996-ish has gone in fine pt 11 of 2 about e.g. Scullion.

In 1979, a lady-friend-colleague recommended me to read all of Tom Sharpe,+ 'Story Of O' (Reage).

I bought/still have them all - Mr Sharpe did at times some fine stuff, but ...

Edited by Chumpy

As a plonker who was first advised in 1979 to read Tom, I have bought-read all of his since then/those published before then.

I still retain them/read the 16 all through every 5 or so years.

Not long back then re-re-reread the 5 'Wilts' = o.k. = cinema film based on the 1st.

Yesterday I finished again the other 11 (including 'Blott'-'Porterhouse' shown on TV (the 1st 'Porterhouse one anyway - TV was too dim to follow-up with 'Grantchester-Grind') - they often are great-writing/fine zany plots/usually appalling despicable mad-sex.

HE was a great imaginative/often amusing writer who got stuck in absurd overdone unnatural sexing.

Occasionally, a book of 16 fades out with no great ending ...

Edited by Chumpy

Super Wammer

Like many on this thread, I have read most of his books. All I remember from most of them, is uncontrollable laughter, and tears streaming down my face. Must find Wilt and give it a read again :)

IME, all 16 are worth rererereading-owning ...

Even if  many years later I am off his sex-variations ...

Edited by Chumpy