Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

hearingisbelieving

Pioneer A400GTE taken to the max...

Thank you for the detailed response!! Sounds like this has been a labour of love!

I am also using the brush & hoover method, but it tends to still leave behind a film of grime which is a pain to clean. In the end I ended up taking the PCB off and putting it in the dishwasher...!! It came out great :^

As for the pot, I ended up using a similar to the original Alps pot (100KBX2 with 40% tap) I got off Ebay, it still needed some work to get it to fit. Now I am in the process of recapping.

Hmmm trying to add some pics, not sure how I do it in this forum...

Please dear god tell me you did not put the PCB in the dishwasher!!!! You probably have destroyed it!!!!

Dont attempt to use it until you have it checked ovrr by an expert:clout:

Naah it'll be fine :nuts:

Hehe I know how it sounds but it's not as crazy as you might think. PCB manufacturers / assemblers actually do wash them as part of the process. Just make sure you don't exceed the temperature ratings of some parts (I do wash mine without electrolytic caps anyway - so no shorts either) and remove anything that may trap water (relays, switches, open pots etc) and make sure you allow lots of time to dry (or you can always blow dry stuff).

I have restored several amps so far and hot-wash PCBs all the time - never had any issue....!!! I was more impressed with how you managed to spotlessly clean the rest of your amp case. Do you still have it?

Washing a PCB with a LOT of water and soap is fine so long as it has dried properly.

I don't know if the temperature and length of time it would be in a dishwasher for would affect it, but meh.

Douse it in IPA after, too.

Naah it'll be fine :nuts:

Hehe I know how it sounds but it's not as crazy as you might think. PCB manufacturers / assemblers actually do wash them as part of the process. Just make sure you don't exceed the temperature ratings of some parts (I do wash mine without electrolytic caps anyway - so no shorts either) and remove anything that may trap water (relays, switches, open pots etc) and make sure you allow lots of time to dry (or you can always blow dry stuff).

I have restored several amps so far and hot-wash PCBs all the time - never had any issue....!!! I was more impressed with how you managed to spotlessly clean the rest of your amp case. Do you still have it?

ok well on your head be it if it goes wrong!

Yes I still have the amp but it is in service at my GFs now. Will probably need a clean before too long as she has dogs. I can manage just fine with a vacuum, brush and then some meths. I wont be putting any electronics in a bloody dishwasher thanks very much!

BTW cant see the photos you linked to as you ahve to be a member of that other forum before you can see pics.

If you do a search on this forum, there are threads detailing how to upload photos....

Washing a PCB with a LOT of water and soap is fine so long as it has dried properly.

I don't know if the temperature and length of time it would be in a dishwasher for would affect it, but meh.

Douse it in IPA after, too.

Only if you set the temperature at very high i.e. >85 deg C and you are washing a PCB with caps at 85 deg C rating and some plastic caps, other than that everything else resistors, transistors etc is fine. I tend to use the low temp 40 deg C setting which is still warm enough but cannot do damage.

Yes soap & water also works, but be careful for small soap bits that might stick on the brush and then on your parts, use lots of hot water tends to dissolve them as they might not be visible.

I am not a big fan of the IPA & ear bud method as it's tedious and sometimes it just tends to shift the dirt around rather than remove it. I prefer faster results.....!!!!!

ok well on your head be it if it goes wrong!

Yes I still have the amp but it is in service at my GFs now. Will probably need a clean before too long as she has dogs. I can manage just fine with a vacuum, brush and then some meths. I wont be putting any electronics in a bloody dishwasher thanks very much!

BTW cant see the photos you linked to as you ahve to be a member of that other forum before you can see pics.

If you do a search on this forum, there are threads detailing how to upload photos....

You should try it some time!! Glad to hear it's still loud and proud....!!!

It is perfectly ok to immerse circuit boards in fluids in order to clean them, although water is a first for me. Usually you would use a substance which evaporates easily and use sonics to provide the agitation. Re-useable electronics such as the old BT 700 series telephones were subjected to this between periods of rental. If you did this with modern electronics then identifying and removing components that would be compromised is the first step, followed by a very lengthy drying period preferably in a suitable dessicant such as rice. Even then I would consider myself lucky if it still fired up. Electronics are subjected to really extreme cleaning methods daily if required, medical kit for instance. That is however designed to be like that. Unlike a domestic hifi amp.

We used to use copious amounts of a liquid in an RS tin we christened 'PissOff'! So named because if used on the wrong type of plastic it would literally piss off. Wet the board, work in with a brush and then wrinse off with the same liquid.

Plus points: it worked

Minus points: the above issue with plastic and the fact it was halucination inducing in the right airborne concentrations!

Water absolutely works! :nuts:

But seriously yes ultrasonic cleaning with water is a common method for cleaning electronic components amongst all sorts of stuff.

Okay I don't use ultrasonic waves, but there really is nothing wrong with hot soapy water. You can evaporate water very quickly by using a hair dryer.

By the way, I have finished recapping and the amplifier works, she sings beautifully!

I have posted some pics below, sorry I don't know how to post pics here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/273967-pioneer-a400-volume-pot-replacement-3.html#post4364668

Hi

Appreciate this is an old thread but I'm in the process of upgrading an A400 much like this. The only sticking point I'm hitting is with the speaker terminals. There are three connections to the PCB from the moulded speaker blocks, and I'm not sure what to wire where. 

I'm hoping to use some terminals like these, so any guidance at all would be very helpful.binpos03-02.jpghttp://www.underwoodaudio.co.uk/images/connectors/binpos03-02.jpg