Bazzer

SACD players

Was there this year or have there been any SACD players exhibited at Scalford ?

I had a dCS SACD player this year.

I had a dCS SACD player this year.

Wish I'd asked a month ago, its something I may get into as I'm buying a Blu-ray player and a few support SACD.

I'll start a thread in the cine section.

Super Wammer

yes i remember umbertos lovely marantz sacd player well in that basement room at scalford

Super Wammer

I took my Sony DVP-S9000ES this year :^

I'm considering a Pioneer PD-D6. Not the last word in SACD or CD replay (CD isn't an issue as it would be a transport), but the price could be right.

Oppo DVD and BluRay players pretty much all support SACD playback.

There are plenty of other excellent options, too.

I thought Blu ray players converted the DSD stream to PCM so you don't get the true SACD sound?

Buy a Pioneer PD-D9mk2 with the Wolfson Dacs secondhand for peanuts.

Speak to Gregor at Ten Audio on 01327 876673/07922408057 who will fit a Triode output stage for around £400.

This will absolutely piss over most cd/sacd players up to £4000.

Buy a Pioneer PD-D9mk2 with the Wolfson Dacs secondhand for peanuts.

Speak to Gregor at Ten Audio on 01327 876673/07922408057 who will fit a Triode output stage for around £400.

This will absolutely piss over most cd/sacd players up to £4000.

The PD-D6MK2 uses Burr-Brown, and PD-D9MK2 has the Twin Wolfson D/A converters; both have Pioneer's Legato Link Conversion PRO. They both use "Hi-Bit" technology to increase the sound data length from 16-bit to 24-bit, even from compressed MP3 files. (Not sure how that works, or if it is beneficial.)

The PD-D6MK2 has a steel case and an aluminium front panel, while the PD-D9MK2 has an aluminium case, a honeycomb chassis with hexagonal pressings in the metal plates designed to help dissipate vibrations and alleviate jitter, and TAOC Hi-Carbon composite metal feet.

Over here, the D9 is a very rare beast. Given the price difference - a D9 is at least twice the price of a D6 - I can probably forego the extra niceties of the D9 on this occasion. I can isolate it on a shelf instead. :-)

i am not sure the studio's or producers really know what a true sound is in regard to sacd , or indeed most recordings, or acoutic stuff any way , to my ears, .

as for souround stuff and capturing it etc, and putting it down to a disk , it all seems very hit and mostly miss ,i would settle for lovely open two microphones with very little compression , and editing everytime,

i used to have a load of tracks recorded by the russ andrews label and there new sound rig, htey sounded fine to me , but many dont like the recordings, i mean microphones placed 30 feet of more away , just as you hear things in the audiance , some good starts in the audio dept, many dont like them tha i have talked to , but it takes all sorts, .

soune mostly like sitting in a concert performance, .

reards

lowendall

I thought Blu ray players converted the DSD stream to PCM so you don't get the true SACD sound?

Some do, some don't. And you won't hear the difference.