Maro73

Noiseless tube pre amps .. what alternatives ?

Hi

Following my sudden immersion in the Tube world , with the Eastern Electric Avant Pre amp , I discovered what I missed for a few years .. great musicality and obvious fun with music

Tube rolling has been a very troubled way of spending money .. and yet interesting.

However , the only thing itching me these days , is the noise coming from the speakers , which is not that huge.

My ears have been unfortunately accustomed to the digital " no noise " ..

So I was wondering , about pre amps which are designed to be very low noise , independantly of the tube rolling ..

Which way to go : return route towards low noise tubes (psvanes ..) or persisting with the NOS tubes .. ?

Or searching for a nice preamp ..

I experienced , the Shindo Monbrison , a week before .. the EAR 834 which is not as good as the AVANt ..

I discussed this issue with one of my friend/members ..

So which way to go : Modwright LS100 ? 36.5 , Puresound L300 ..

Or Hybrid : Belles VT 01 ...

Or return to the Solid State Arena : I was thinking of the Belles LA 01

By the way , from what I heard , the Mullard and the RCA /Raytheon tubes are more to my taste than Telefunkens ..

Cheers .. and waiting for your comments (I'd be happy with the good and sarcastic ones too)

Oh yes .. I am a bit exagerating about the noise , but as I stated , the original 12AX7 tubes from Eastern Electric were the less noisy but less musical too ..

The Nagra PLP preamp I had for 4 years was extremely quiet and sounded fantastic. It has a built-in phono stage/SUT too which is also dead quiet.

No.

Correct.

The ModWright is well worth a look. So is the L300. My currect SJS is almost completely silent, but so was the L300 and the Kndo M7 I have tried here.

Most decent valve or SS pre-amps are incredibly quiet.

Hi Guys

Misfortune .. reading Rabski reviews on the L300 , was interesting , BUT no REMOTE .. ahh

Beautiful girl but Bald ..LOL

The search continues

Hi

That's what I like .. I have retained my attention on the Modwright (though the L300 could be better ) and yet forgot the German creations .. Einstein , or why not tube preamps from Acustic Arts ... however in my memory the Einstein or other german ones are above the 4000-5000 quids ..

Cheers

If your existinf pre is quiet with Psvanes, then the NOS in there are faulty. Not uncommon sadly. Wht not try decent NOS Mullards and see where that gets you, just good working tubes, not silly price fetish tubes like in your other thread, so you can buy say a quad, select the quietest pair, and keep the others for backup. You may find the issue resolved. :)

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk 2

• Upvote 1

Hi Folks

I had nice returns on my post , so thanks to all of you .. and time for me to step up.

I'll be keeping the EE Avant Pre Amp for one of my systems , because it sound really nice , and a pound per deal affair.

So I'll be soon choosing between 2 pre amps (need for the remote excludes the L300): LA01 from Belles , Modwright 36.5 (without the Power supply) , and the AYON EEris (Austrian made)

Goal will be the warmth of sound , yet being detailed , and of course the Noiseless aaspect (no hums etc..) will count a lot.

Again I'll be going blindly into the choice , but that's a way to do it , is it ..LOL

ADVICE before the last jump (no demoping possible , in the area I live )..

Cheers

Modwright out of those.

Ticks all the boxes, plus superb backup and good resale value.

Not to mention that the 36.5 is a bloody good pre.