Ian

Considering any system changes as a result of Sunday ?

Out of all the amazing gear I heard/saw the one item that really caught my interest that I could afford (and would fit in my house !) were the KEF LS50s, I was truly bowled over. They were on the end of the wonderful little Ming Da integrated. I shall be keeping my eye open for any bake offs with either of these items in them and in the classifieds.

Anyone else looking at their wallets as a result of Sunday ?

Super Wammer

You got what I had in my wallet on Sunday Ian and a happily skint man I am with the Leak Stereo 20.

With that said if I did have some spare coin AND a spare room I would fill it with Nick1881's setup; KEF R300s, an Arcam FMJ A28 and a JKDAC32, sourced with a JRiver computer. I am not a fan of box speakers but the KEFs disappeared, there was just music in the room and the sound stage was unbelievable, real 3D presentation which was an accomplishment considering the room size. The JKDAC32 and Arcam combination was wonderfully musical with bags of PRAT, excellent detail but not strident or etched. This would be my system for Rock instead of cans.

But alas I do not have the space or funds so it's back to the panels and Alison Krauss :)

Super Wammer

Some room treatments/bass management. Nothing has really tempted me to even think of a change right now.... :nerves:

As I have said elsewhere the show cost me a modwright kwi200 :doh:

I'm actually considering a purchase of a cd player-a major modernist move for me. Budget is about audiolab 8200 level. I'm happy with vinyl sound achieved this year [albeit missing of the lowest bass known in home environment] Recommendations for player ??

I'm actually considering a purchase of a cd player-a major modernist move for me. Budget is about audiolab 8200 level. I'm happy with vinyl sound achieved this year [albeit missing of the lowest bass known in home environment] Recommendations for player ??

Maybe get a good dac and a cheap cd player. That way you have a bit of flexibility and could move into high res downloads should this sudden bout of modern thinking grab you.

Guest BD Audio
I have started looking at cable lifters

Apparently BHB have some in the pipe-line.

Maybe get a good dac and a cheap cd player. That way you have a bit of flexibility and could move into high res downloads should this sudden bout of modern thinking grab you.

+1 :)

I scored a very nice Sony ES CD player recently for way less than 100 quid (it's built like a tank and works a treat) and it sounds pretty good into a separate dac which itself can handle hi-res stuff from a MacBook. Total cost was for the whole shebang, less than 250 quid.

Appreciate the 'each to their own' but I really wouldn't go investing a large amount of cash in a CD player these days.

I'm leaving things alone. Might come as a surprise, all I need really is a pre-amp and a good phono stage, as the guy that sold me back my monos wouldnt part with the matching preamplifier.

What the show taught me is I had a lot of set ups similar to rooms at Scalford, and a few incarnations sounded better than what I have now - but I have been there before. What Scalford made me realise was leave things be! - years of selling stuff at a hit has taken its toll with the law of diminishing returns.

I love the vinyl end I have and the digital, the only poor cousins are the size of my speakers (which to be honest now suit the space - so behave), and that illusive preamp and better phono. But in terms of kit I'm content. I can marvel, and did, but unexpected's like needing a new car puts things into perspective when you blow so much on box swapping.

Super Wammer

No huge changes for me but I will be rebuilding the sterlings as floorstanders and having a JS rebuild of the A370 inc going to a massive off board PSU :D

You got what I had in my wallet on Sunday Ian and a happily skint man I am with the Leak Stereo 20.

With that said if I did have some spare coin AND a spare room I would fill it with Nick1881's setup; KEF R300s, an Arcam FMJ A28 and a JKDAC32, sourced with a JRiver computer. I am not a fan of box speakers but the KEFs disappeared, there was just music in the room and the sound stage was unbelievable, real 3D presentation which was an accomplishment considering the room size. The JKDAC32 and Arcam combination was wonderfully musical with bags of PRAT, excellent detail but not strident or etched. This would be my system for Rock instead of cans.

But alas I do not have the space or funds so it's back to the panels and Alison Krauss :)

Thanks for your kind words. I had actually upgraded my amp to the Arcam A38 though. I'm still in love with the Kef R300's, they did me proud at Scalford.

Having seen those with far greater knowledge than myself. I am going to try stuffing some old pillows and the like in the room corners behind my speakers. First I need to figure out a way to measure the differences with a cheap sound meter if at all possible.