philsimm

What were your biggest (hifi related) surprises at Scalford

I'll start:

Active monitors sounding so good: Those Event Opals sounded sublime and the ESI Unik's in Purites room sounded great rocking some Kings of Leon (i'm really tempted to pick a pair of the 08's up).

Those active Behringers sounded good too. I always though studio monitors would sound flat and boring or too clinical in a domestic listening environment and i was pleasently surprised.

Q Acoustics 2020's in Gromit's room: shows how good a small affordable standmount / bookshelf could be. These blew me away for the money. I was speaking to Mrs P in the car on the way back home and she mentioned she thought she overheard some wammers discussing the cost of them being £160. I thought she had misheard until i got home and googled them!

Gromit's room. Great sounds from tiny speakers - suited the room perfectly.

Well, not directly Hi Fi related, but I will mention anyway.

I am not normally a KENNY G fan. I find him and his music cheesy in the extreme. :sick:

But I understand that he flew over for the day and was seen around Scalford. Amazing. There were signs everywhere pointing to where he was and where he was going. Someone had gone to a great deal of effort.

Out of curiosity (ok , I wanted to give him a lecture on how disgusting his "Elevator music" was ) I followed these signs.

I didnt find him, but what I did find, and this is the amazing bit, was that his "music" was invariably playing in any room that I passed.

If this is the quality of the listening taste of the average Wammer, Im not sure this place is for me.

Anyway, that was my biggest surprise. Now, back to Hi Fi.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I heard some horn speakers that I really liked - not enough to convert me, but the first time I've heard any that I would like to spend some time listening to. Specifically the horns belonging to JVS and russ abbott - royds brother

Just shows that you should visit as many rooms as possible and not base room choice on any pre-conceptions.

I am not normally a KENNY G fan. I find him and his music cheesy in the extreme. :sick:

But I understand that he flew over for the day and was seen around Scalford. Amazing. There were signs everywhere pointing to where he was and where he was going. Someone had gone to a great deal of effort.

Out of curiosity (ok , I wanted to give him a lecture on how disgusting his "Elevator music" was ) I followed these signs.

I didnt find him, but what I did find, and this is the amazing bit, was that his "music" was invariably playing in any room that I passed.

If this is the quality of the listening taste of the average Wammer, Im not sure this place is for me.

:rofl:

Just shows that you should visit as many rooms as possible and not base room choice on any pre-conceptions.

:^

Trust me that you had an incredibly lucky escape by virtue of not bringing a CDP :whistle:

Hearing a Krell based system that didn't sound like sterile shite was probably the biggest surprise for me. Not sure I'm about to go out and buy some, but it was certainly a pleasing sound to listen to.

Having listened to several different models at this years show, I'm also still yet to hear a pair of Harbeths put a foot wrong. A really very engaging lineup, and something that might even tempt me away from the beloved Triangles.

Hearing a Krell based system that didn't sound like sterile shite was probably the biggest surprise for me. Not sure I'm about to go out and buy some, but it was certainly a pleasing sound to listen to.

Having listened to several different models at this years show, I'm also still yet to hear a pair of Harbeths put a foot wrong. A really very engaging lineup, and something that might even tempt me away from the beloved Triangles.

Don't do it Jon they sounded great!

The size of the custom made Tannoys, and the ones which looked like wardrobes. Imported from USA if I remember correctly.

dscf1108a.jpg

Edit: Thanks to Sir Frank (Rick) for posting photo on other thread. A picture paints a thousand words...

ScalfordShow2013049_zps06f136af.jpg

Oh yes, I almost forgot. How could I.

Some of my "friends" made up a Cd for me. Very kind.

Guess who/what was on it. Kenny Bloody G/Songbird. Yes, filled the whole Cd with one tune.

Our pleasure Brian, it's nice to share such music with someone who clearly appreciates it's exceptional nature.....;-)

I thought my poor choice of track when you and Sean (Kernow) were in the room might have put you off the Harbeths!

It's funny how some music sounds very good at home, but under noisy show conditions the subtlety seems to get lost sometimes, whereas other music still sounds great. It took a while to see which tracks worked well on the day - shame you missed the better stuff later on :^

I thought my poor choice of track when you and Sean (Kernow) were in the room might have put you off the Harbeths!

It's funny how some music sounds very good at home, but under noisy show conditions the subtlety seems to get lost sometimes, whereas other music still sounds great. It took a while to see which tracks worked well on the day - shame you missed the better stuff later on :^

If I'd had more time I'd have definitely stuck around to hear something with some kick to it. What was playing still sounded extremely good, even if it wasn't particularly my thing. I think your CD player may also win the looks award for the show in my book as well.